Kharaa Spawning System Revamp

PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted GorgeRichmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
I have some ideas for an altered Kharaa spawning method, which involves the player to perform the spawning action. Proposed ideas are in quotes below:
At round start, all Kharaa players gestate inside their Eggs for the standard Skulk gestate time (3 seconds).

This is mainly to discourage early Skulk rush. While I have nothing against the tactic, Skulk's mobility can more than make up for the 3 seconds round start delay. Besides, it feels kinda cool to hatch in response to threats against the Hive!

Of course, the Alien Commander is already in the Hive, so it's only fair he gets the same time to start the match as the Marine Commander (as per most RTS games).
Players must left click once to hatch from an Egg. They may stay unhatched if they choose so.

This change allows tactical usage of Eggs to ambush incoming Marines. It applies to evolving as well, so you can be a sneaky Onos and pop out at the right time to give Marines a nasty surprise!

Ideally, firstperson Egg-cam would be even better for immersion :)
Players inside Eggs can access the Evolve Menu to directly evolve into different lifeforms and for evolutions.

A change for convenience! Now you can evolve into your favorite lifeforms and grab Evolutions immediately after your respawn timer.
Each Egg is assigned to one player. It becomes untied to the Hive's Egg count once occupied by an unhatched player (so Hive will auto-spawn more Eggs and other dead players won't stay stuck in queue)

Although the Alien Commander can use Hatch to break Egg Locks, having a good spawning mechanism with some spawn camp protection can work too.

That's it for now! Lemme know what y'all think :>

Comments

• BroseidonBroseidon Join Date: 2011-07-18 Member: 110935Members
    I like it! It adds to the atmosphere of the game aswell as making the evolving of personal upgrades and lifeforms more elegant. Giving the aliens the tactical decision when to hatch to ex: surprise a group of marines wandering into your hive also adds a little more depth to the game.

The only problem I can see is that in a competetive 6v6 the marines can count the eggs in hive to realise if an egg ambush/surprise is coming. But then again that might be a good thing
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Controlling when you can hatch, cycling through egg locations and being able to choose evolutions before hatching as a skulk on spawn are all good suggestions.