Marine Sniper Rifle

Nexus5Nexus5 Join Date: 2013-07-27 Member: 186420Members, Reinforced - Shadow
Not sure if this has already been suggested, but I would really like to see a sniper rifle introduced to the game,

The Rifle could have tracer rounds, much like the lerk.
Wouldn't be accurate at all when fire outside of scope, but when scoped would be highly accurate.
The damage is quite high per shot, but the Fire Rate and load rate would be very slow.
You could only purchase via an a basic armory like Shotguns, once it has been researched.
Also when scoped, you would be able to see Cloaked Aliens, they would be highlighted, much like Marines are in Alien Vision. But when scoped you only have a small area of the screen to work with so it has its draw backs.

Possibly if this were to be introduced, the cloak for Aliens could be re-vised to make them completly invisible when an Alien isn't moving, this would help make Camo slightly better for hiding and help make the introduction to the Sniper Rifle more useful?

What do you think?

Comments

• KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited August 2013
    Well, for one, the railgun exo already fills this role. The railgun is well complemented by the exo durability, movement speed, and mechanical fist for close combat. Overall, a good unit.

A marine with a sniper rifle would be a dead marine, because the combat takes place in very small rooms, so there is little need to zoom, and with a slow ROF weapon, you would have about one shot. I believe the marine would find himself fighting with the pistol most of the time.

Sniper rifles are good for realistic, outdoor military sims with maps spanning kilometres, and with realistic movement speed of units.

So no, I don't think it would fit well into a close combat, twitchy encounters of NS2.
  • Anti94Anti94 Join Date: 2013-07-31 Member: 186489Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think this is a good idea. Although I think it should also be fairly accurate unscoped.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited August 2013
    The maps aren't exactly sniper range material now are they and most combat is close quarter and high twitch aiming related. With some medium range tracking aiming, but that doesn't require sniper scope range...
  • 2cough2cough Rocky Mountain High Join Date: 2013-03-14 Member: 183952Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    sniper rifle (-scope) = pistol

accurate and powerful
  • DraptorDraptor Join Date: 2013-03-05 Member: 183721Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Why? What role does this fill? I'm all for variety and such, but it seems pointless. The thermal vision suggestion is interesting but it feels like it's tacked on just to give this thing a purpose.

As stated before, the railgun already does this, and probably much better.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited August 2013
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    The maps aren't exactly sniper range material now are they and most combat is close quarter and high twitch aiming related. With some medium range tracking aiming, but that doesn't require sniper scope range...

This^
    LMG and pistol are both accurate at long ranges. I am pretty sure I would never buy a sniper in this game. Good luck tracking skulks biting your ankles while scoped.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    I would rather there be a sniper rifle than a flamethrower. That much I'm sure of.
  • McBernsMcBerns Join Date: 2013-08-04 Member: 186563Members
    Most of the maps are mostly close quarters and indoors. So a sniper rifle would not be fit for it. The rail gun suits this purpose.
  • Nexus5Nexus5 Join Date: 2013-07-27 Member: 186420Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think those that claim it wouldn't work due to maps are sort of missing the point, you could really say that about any weapon on any map. Oh no use using Arcs as the corridor is to far away from the hive, no use using grenades as the vent angles so they won't bounce through, no use for flame thrower as its to short a distance down this long corridor etc etc, each weapon is pretty much situational, infact the only weapons that are not situational and can apply anywhere are the normal rifle and the pistol.

Buying a Sniper Rifle is a Players choice, yes it would be some what situational, but at a cheaper price than Shotguns, the fact it could easily pick out stealthed aliens and causes large amounts of one shot damage would make it a viable alternative. Players can actually use a Sniper Rifle pretty well, even in FPS games like NS2, if you ever played Stargate Resistance, you will know what I mean.

I think if the weapon idea I suggested is pretty balanced and won't affect the game to much, the bigger question is, why not implement it? Being situational in use isn't a big enough reason for me to keep it out of the game, the same as introducing claymores, mines would become 360 detection (can be stuck on walls) claymores would be directional and more powerful, but maybe only on the ground.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Nexus5 wrote: »
    I think those that claim it wouldn't work due to maps are sort of missing the point, you could really say that about any weapon on any map. Oh no use using Arcs as the corridor is to far away from the hive, no use using grenades as the vent angles so they won't bounce through, no use for flame thrower as its to short a distance down this long corridor etc etc, each weapon is pretty much situational, infact the only weapons that are not situational and can apply anywhere are the normal rifle and the pistol.

Erm, no. For all these things there exist points on maps/situations, in which they fit the role; While the close combat maps of NS2 have, due to the close combat nature of aliens, no place for a sniper rifle.
    Anywhere.
    At all.

Exception crevice, maybe.
  • DraptorDraptor Join Date: 2013-03-05 Member: 183721Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    What role does it fill? What gap in the Marine armory does it patch up? Now I'm all for weapon variety but it just seems like it doesn't do anything better than anything else.
  • diehardougie5diehardougie5 Join Date: 2013-07-11 Member: 186049Members
    I think a battle rifle would be better suited three round burst with higher damage with a 1.5 scope and yes thermal vision should be an upgrade for marines but it should be a tier 3 weapon like only unlocked after weapons 3 or weapons 2 are researched
  • diehardougie5diehardougie5 Join Date: 2013-07-11 Member: 186049Members
    additionally the marine rifle reload should be shorter if you have a round in chamber instead of the same reload time every time teaching marines and to be more tactical on their reloads instead of dumping the mag every time knowing that it doesn't matter on the reload time
  • Anti94Anti94 Join Date: 2013-07-31 Member: 186489Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The problem is that the LMG and the pistol are too accurate at long range. They have no recoil and almost no spread.
    I don't understand why weapons in NS2 behave so differently compared to other FPS games.
    In every FPS I know, handguns have a poor accuracy at long range. It's the opposite in NS2...
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    That's because gameplay roles for weapons > "realism" ;)
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Anti94 wrote: »
    The problem is that the LMG and the pistol are too accurate at long range. They have no recoil and almost no spread.
    I don't understand why weapons in NS2 behave so differently compared to other FPS games.
    In every FPS I know, handguns have a poor accuracy at long range. It's the opposite in NS2...

Because NS2 wants to reward people with good aim... not hinder them with "realistic" and utterly terrible recoil patterns.

Nexus5 wrote: »

Erm, no. For all these things there exist points on maps/situations, in which they fit the role; While the close combat maps of NS2 have, due to the close combat nature of aliens, no place for a sniper rifle.
    Anywhere.
    At all.

Exception crevice, maybe.

"No Where at all .... maybe Crevice" you kind of disproved your own point, besides there are other area's and you can use the Sniper Rifle in short corridors, seriously watch Stargate Resistance video's they had close combat units and a sniper, and quite often you could get your two shots off and kill what was trying to kill you, even in close combat, you just had to have good aim, simples.

We don't want an OP Weapon, that's why the Sniper Rifle has its draw backs, otherwise we would all be saying my idea is OP ....

Quoting Draptor, I don't think the Sniper Rifle would fill a particular role, other than being able to scout for invisible enemies, being able to cause large amounts of damage from long range (or short range) and generally just being a different play style than the shotgun.

I personally would prefer a Sniper Rifle, to a shotgun. I use to Play the Marksman in Stargate Resistance, and loved shooting those invisible Ashrak before they could slice and dice me, it would be fun to do the same with Skulks in the hall ways in NS2 and help the team track down stealthed Players etc, the damage would be quite high for the Rifle, so odds are any Sniper Rifle Players, would get the finishing Shots that would kill an Alien, depending on how much damage they have and depending on the person's aim.

• NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    The thing is, the railgun exo already fills that role, without the hindrance of scoped vision.
    Well not really as firstly its not that accurate, you can't zoom in, you can't see stealthed units and its a bloody expensive rifle isn't it >.> not to mention slow, big and lumbering ...
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Railgun exo fills the role of a long range high burst damage weapon. It's the most accurate weapon in the game. And there's never a need to zoom in, because the distances in NS2 maps aren't big enough to make zoom matter. It would only make it harder to hit your target considering aliens' movement speeds.

And as far as the detecting cloaked aliens idea concerns. It's not really an issue. You can spot cloaked aliens as it is, if you look carefully enough, and you always have obs/scans to help out. Not to mention, they tend to hide behind corners, so a scoped long range "alien detection vision" would be mostly useless anyway.

Not saying a handheld railgun type weapon for marines wouldn't work, it would just be a bit redundant, making the railgun exo obsolete.
    Never thought about how it might affect the Railgun Exo, especially as the Sniper Rifle could be used in close combat as well as long range and does the same amount of damage per shot where as the longer you hold down the Exo's button the more damage it does .... that's a good point as I wouldn't want the new weapon to replace anything already in game and could in fact make something else redundant ... its a shame as it would have been a fun play style and maybe entice a few extra Players. Using a railgun exo isn't the same as a proper sniper rifle, maybe one day the Devs could find a balance between the two.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Maybe when the view range isnt hard-limited by the engine this will be something to think about, but running around tight corridors with a sniper rifle is the epitome of everything wrong with modern FPS gaming.
  • mrawesome15mrawesome15 Join Date: 2013-07-25 Member: 186397Members
    I think it is a good idea. The only bad thing is that all the aliens are pretty fast.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I think that's called a "railgun exosuit" and you can purchase one from a proto lab when they're researched.
    HeatSurge wrote: »
    I think that's called a "railgun exosuit" and you can purchase one from a proto lab when they're researched.

Not the same and if you followed the conversation trail, my idea would have made the railgun exo redundant :/ so its been shelved unless a dev can think of a way to make it work without making the exo redundant.