New Mouse Pad/Surface/Mat Suggestions

FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
I recently halved my sensitivity, but my mousepad is now too small. It's a sad day, I've been using that func.net Surface 1030 since NS1 in 2004.

Anyway, in the interest of ridding wrist aiming (I would adjust with wrist and arm to turn) to avoid carpal tunnel, I'm switching to arm aiming. My issue is that I will absolutely not lower my sensitivity past the point where I can't 180 on half my mouse pad. So here's what I need:

-Hard surface, as similar to the 1030 as possible
-Smooth
-Not Razer, unless it's really truly worth it. But I've never had a mouse from them that doesn't bug after 6 months of NS. I'm currently pretty screwed in this department for the tournament this weekend.
-I have plenty of desk space to make if I need it for gaming :p
-I'm thinking something like an 6-8" 180 eventually, so I don't really know, this is all new to me!

IS bigger better? I guess I'd rather have extra room than not enough.

Thanks!

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I finally left my small square gel pad for this amazing pad : http://mionix.net/products/propus-380/

Affordable, hard, fine grain surface that gives great tactile feedback and has a large width for arm aiming.
    I instantly was in love after 30 min in quake live and some ns2.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Amazon Prime-able. Done.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    I didn't look until just then, but I can't believe my 1030 is only 10" that wildz. I LOVED HER SO MUCH
  • RumseyRumsey Join Date: 2013-01-21 Member: 181012Members
    I'd recommend my mouse pad, but your requirements basically say "not that" so you probably don't want it. /shrug
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I also use a Goliathus. I just have the "Large - Control" version.
  • rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    joshhh wrote: »
    I also use a Goliathus. I just have the "Large - Control" version.

Me three. I like it, but I'm also not a mouse pad connoisseur. It also comes in table-cloth size if you are really brave.
    Well I'm open to Razer, it's just that their customer service was much less corporate 10 years ago, so when I said my mouse is constantly bugging, they sent me a new one straight away. My deathadder now is stopping in the middle of my tracking, so imagine you've got this perfect track on fade with an LMG, your mouse just stops accepting input and he gets away.

So now I went this arguous (relative to when I got my first Diamondback) process to get a return, and it just wasn't quick enough to get me a new mouse for this weekend. So that's making me want to somewhat boycott Razer if I can.

I kind of really want a 36" just because I'll never go over the edge, that's pretty sweet..

@rantology Your signature is amazing.
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    I used a Steelseries SX for many years before wearing a rather large spot where I tend to hold my wrist on the pad and the surface just isn't very evenly smooth anymore. It's a shame they don't make them anymore but you can sometimes find them for resale on ebay (I couldn't, sadly).

Replaced it with a Razer Manticor. The proportions are a bit better although it's still pretty overpriced.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited August 2013
    Razer mice are all trash. Their headsets are not even worth mentioning. Their keyboards are ok (I still use their black widow ultimate.) The only thing you can buy from razer that is guaranteed not to break is their mousepads.

P.S. The Goliathus rant and I use is a cloth pad, not a hard pad.
    Yea I have a Tiamat, not that I have a 7.1 or even 5.1 card, but I'm not impressed. Not worth ditching for a new pair though
    Feel free to recommend a mouse thats shaped exactly like this in a non razer brand
    search?q=razer+diamond+back&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=4XEFUuTxD_a14AP66ICICQ&biw=1123&bih=605&sei=5XEFUpizPI7A4AP5o4H4Bw#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=8jGlhUilAYQflM%3A%3BHwf9yHZj5CBxjM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.dansdata.com%252Fimages%252Fdiamondback%252Fshiny1024.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.dansdata.com%252Fdiamondback.htm%3B1024%3B664
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    I used the Nuke Z N-2000 cloth pad for a long time and was very happy with it. It was fast and durable for years. Then I bought a Goliathus and I hate it. It smelled like an oil refinery for three months and short after that the surface got slow and worn. I turned it 180° but that is not a real solution. I also loved the old alienware hard plastic pad. Tried a few hard pads after that back in the days but never found one that wasn't trash after a few months. I think it is very hard to find good quality these days, but if you find a good one let me know ;)
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited August 2013
    joshhh wrote: »
    Razer mice are all trash. Their headsets are not even worth mentioning. Their keyboards are ok (I still use their black widow ultimate.) The only thing you can buy from razer that is guaranteed not to break is their mousepads.

P.S. The Goliathus rant and I use is a cloth pad, not a hard pad.

Srsly? Deathadder is just amazing. Went thru logitechs and rats and whatnots, every single one has silly shapes and weird finger distances. Deathadder is just really solid in every way. Abyssus also solid, and if you want a gaming mouse that's small there's no smaller than razers salmosa korean edition.

Now razer keyboards? What a load of crap, I wouldn't give one to my worst enemy, complete waste of money. Bought arctosa in a moment of insanity, no scandinavian layout for macros, the anti-ghosting was a complete hoax, just an absolute piece of ****.

Puretrack mouse pad atm, nice and smooth, but I guess not what the OP's looking for.

Edit: Also had Goliathus Control edition at some point, was bad, really. A heavy texture doesn't really do anything for control, just feels draggy and unpleasant.
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited August 2013
    http://www.amazon.com/SHIDEN-XSOFT-white-SAMURAI-gaming/dp/B005KMP1JS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_pc_5

I will never use another mousepad.

most Razer products are awful, but there are several exceptions including the Deathadder (2013), which is also my favorite mouse.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited August 2013
    mattji104 wrote: »
    Well I'm open to Razer, it's just that their customer service was much less corporate 10 years ago, so when I said my mouse is constantly bugging, they sent me a new one straight away. My deathadder now is stopping in the middle of my tracking, so imagine you've got this perfect track on fade with an LMG, your mouse just stops accepting input and he gets away.

So now I went this arguous (relative to when I got my first Diamondback) process to get a return, and it just wasn't quick enough to get me a new mouse for this weekend. So that's making me want to somewhat boycott Razer if I can.

I kind of really want a 36" just because I'll never go over the edge, that's pretty sweet..

@rantology Your signature is amazing.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826991001

Ripper XXL, 36"x18" cloth mat. It's not Razer and it's cheeper than the goliathus anyway.
  • MigeMige Join Date: 2005-03-19 Member: 45796Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited August 2013
    Hard mats are okay if you want change them all the time, unless you want glass mouse pads (minor downside is that your mouse feets will worn faster but ebay sell's 1-2$ per feet) ;) G9x loves my Glass pad S&S I-2, but best optical mouse sensor's dont and now using G400/Savu with roccat taito soft pad..

Big no no and no for razer quality... but great marketing thought
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    Super smooth isn't necessarily the best, a good cloth pad is in sometimes better.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    I'm using a Logitech MX518 mouse on a Steelpad QCK (Cloth) mousepad.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    After years with cloth, i now recommend hard surfaces. There's a texture/tactile difference that i found matters, to me personally. :shrug:
  • kk20kk20 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164592Members
    Mx518 on an ikea chopping board (seriously) it takes some bedding in at first (i used mouse skates for a while)
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members
    edited August 2013
    I use This mouse pad with their silencer mouse: http://www.cybersnipa.com/us/gaming-surfaces/tracer-mousepad.php

Excellent hard and durable surface... plus it lights up.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    RocketfishGamingMousepad.jpg

I use that. Has different textures on each side, one is a smooth "speed" side and one is a rougher "control" side. I just got it cause it was cheap and decently sized, and it's worked well for me. Would ideally like to get something a little larger though.
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    127219.JPG

Cloth and rubber, over 10 years old, stained and peeling from the corners and smaller than a hooker's paycheck on Christmas.

I'll never part with it.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    You should pay your hookers better.