Would a ladder work?

ForlornHopeForlornHope Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18675Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
Hi guys,

I'm contemplating building a site that allows teams to take part in an open ended ladder. I figure it would be a great way to allow new players and casual players to form teams and play competitively without committing to having to play regular or a set number of matches (your teams rating would fall if you don't play regularly) and it would still provide for the more active clans.

Before I dive into this project. Do you think it would benefit the community and do you realistically think it would get used?
I'm also interested in hearing ideas for the mechanics behind it (existing rating systems, how to control the rating degradation etc).

Cheers!
F-H

Comments

• tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hi Forlon, Alot of us have been saying this to the ENSL/NSL admins for a long time. It might be a bit counter productive to set this up on a brand new website (one competitive site for all would make life easier for everyone). However, this ideally needs to be implemented in-between nsl seasons imo. Post on the ensl fourms?
    -Skyice
  • tallhotblondetallhotblonde Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174770Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    http://www.ensl.org/articles/806 a debate is going on here as we speak, Bonkers has just called out for someone to do exactly what your suggesting.
    *edit*
  • ForlornHopeForlornHope Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18675Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    ENSL is great but I'd have to develop it on my own platform for familiar/speedy development. I also have ideas I'd like to try to help promote the ladder and the game that I don't want to have to be regulated on. I feel I'd have my hands tied going through someone else. Obviously, I'd happily promote ENSL on the site as I'd want to help new players get involved via gathers if they don't have a team to play with and also I'd want to encourage the more active newer teams to try out a season on ENSL.
    well i think there is definitely room for it, and it sounds more appealing hearing that you are willing to take a new approach to things. So many people want this but the admins just dont listen.
    As long as you can get it properly linked too over at the ensl it should be fine. We need more low skilled teams and the ensl just aren't attracting them, I think UWE need to step in and help advertise it in-game. If you get your ladder running then you should deffo aim it at new/low skilled teams to begin with! If there is anything i can help with just hit me up on steam - Skyice2k
  • ForlornHopeForlornHope Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18675Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    It's great to hear I'm not the only one who is thinking this way. I guess I'll crack on with it!
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    It would be awesome if there were an automated software set up to help you form a team, join a team, schedule matches against other teams. Sorta like gathers, but on a more semi permanent basis. Also a way of dynamically handling people not showing up for a match, allowing for place fillers to be called in. I'm rambling a bit, but yeah, this sounds good. You should definitely target the more casual crowd though, as the more serious and dedicated players already can be bothered to set this stuff up themselves. If you target the more casual but still competetiveish players, I'm sure the competetive people would be able to use it too if they wanted.
    Yeah. I really want it to be a stepping stone that has the potential of attracting bigger teams if it's successful, though that would just be a bonus.

I'm sure I could setup a simple "Available Mercs" list once the basic thing is working.