French servers..

sumo0sumo0 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164543Members
edited August 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Im from Denmark, and because of that i don't have a whole lot of danish servers to pick from (0 to be precise). So i join servers that have decent ping, have room for me and are not rookie servers.
When i join german or swedish servers (the few there are) people always speak english as if they understand that english is what we all speak in europe.
When i join a french server (which counts for more than 50% when i search) people speak french. If i dare say that i don't speak french i am always told that "FR is for french" or "join a danish server" or some smartass comment like that.
Is it as simple as national pride? Or french people dont learn to speak english? I'm honestly confused.
Or maybe french people don't want to be part of the already small community?
Why oh why are you so hostile towards people who don't speak your language when the servers are so few and far inbetween??

When i search for servers i get 5 with decent ping and players playing. 3 of those are french.. If only they were all german, lol.

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2013
    You should have access to all the German server (most of them are EU ). Try to ping e.g my server "Survival of the Fattest" to see what ping you have to germany.

Good visited servers atm are [HBZ] and sky.iTrax
  • sumo0sumo0 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164543Members
    edited August 2013
    Yeah, i have often joined HBZ. But today when i wanted to play it was full, so i joined another one instead.
    I'm in queue for it now:)

Maybe it's best to just join german and swedish servers exclusively:)
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Generally french ppl somehow tend to speak french even when half of their team is unable to understand them ;)
  • IronmanIronman Join Date: 2012-03-22 Member: 149184Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    French people are intolerant of English speaking people.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Their server their rules ;)

but you should get good pings in general to Norwegian, German, Dutch and UK based servers in order of super low to low ping. Some have the land nametag in their name and there is always nanogrid to see them fancy flags
  • kk20kk20 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164592Members
    just google "do french hate the english" for a better explanation. Historical differences basically.
    kk20 wrote: »
    just google "do french hate the english" for a better explanation. Historical differences basically.
    Following this part I should hate most ppl of europe (as i'm german) .We are a new generation, so let the past be the past.
  • Live_FeedLive_Feed Join Date: 2010-07-15 Member: 72419Members
    The French in NS2 are like the Russians in DOTA 2.
  • PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    I'm from Holland myself, and I speak both English and German very well. But allthough I visit France every year, my French still sucks. So I usually try to get them to speak English with me...and younger people mostly will try indeed, but in general they have a hard time. It's just so different to English. They simply don't see the need to learn it properly, since French is one of the major big languages in the world (bigger than most people think - or are willing to admit). So on their servers, I try English for a bit, but if I get no response, I just listen for the few words I know, and follow my general map-awareness and experience of the game.
    But offended? Nope, never been so overthere.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah, they do it in ENSL gathers too. 2 french guys will be on a team, and they will clearly understand english, but refuse to speak it.. etc.
  • herakl3sherakl3s Join Date: 2010-12-22 Member: 75852Members, Reinforced - Shadow

Herakles surviving a french server 101:
    3 sentences that will make your life easier.

"Medpack ici gros conard" -> medpack EEssee grow conARd
    "Ejectez ce comm de merde!" -> EHjehcteh ss comm deh mErd

Last but not least

"votez concede, on est baisés" -> voteh concede, onh hey baysay
  • SanCoSanCo Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155744Members
    kk20 wrote: »
    Following this part I should hate most ppl of europe (as i'm german) .We are a new generation, so let the past be the past.

Knock knock, yes hello this is the general and average european
    Politician and media. Just want to let you know, we will NEVER let you get away from inherited guilt you had nothing to do with.

Goodbye and enjoy your day. Hodor.
    edited August 2013
    Well, if there is one thing that i have learned from being danish (5.5 million danes) it is that nationalism or national pride is one of the most stupid things we humans have made as of yet. But on second thought, why not go to war over it (again)?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_native_speakers

according to that list we should all speak Mandarin:D French are not even on top 10 lol.

How about every nation start to exclusively speak their own language.. That wouldn't be a mess in any way.

• delta78delta78 Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178131Members
    edited August 2013
    Though I'm not a Christian, I've heard of a story from the Holy Bubble (GoDTM), that humans used to speak one language and perfectly understand each other but then all might God of War God used his super powers, makings us unable to understand each other. What a douche, if you ask me... ( No offence Christian bros! *Me gives a hug* )

I'm not German but mostly play in German servers and sometimes in French ones. I always speak my "fluid" 英語 ( from Japanese ) a.k.a. English to communicate with the other beasts. ( Yes, I've studied in Oxfarde lolz but don't want to brag about it! :P ) Many times I get an answer, delivered by the world's power language, that is English! And even french ponies change their tongues and talk with me in an understandable manner.

However, I don't see it as a problem, when anypony talks in their language. I can use my super hearing to learn what they are trying to say to me. For example, a dude alarms the team about something happening in Nano. Only the name of the room triggers a response from my brain to press the map key and check whats going in there.

So, in a sense, I do not need to learn every language to know exactly what the Chinese dude was trying to tell me cause we are all humans PONIES! :) And as ones we are build to understand each other. ( I've traveled around the world and believe me, when I say this )

There are a lot of cool guys in the French servers that will speak English and try to communicate with the team, so that everpony understands. Not all of them are evil!

Oh, and I lied about Oxford...

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Well the problem is with accents you dont always recognise the names like nano, if there are no familiar words to see context.

I however realised a bigger problem.

* devs communicate in english.
    * game is in english.
    * many (not all) nonenglish players communicate in english.
    * forum is in english.
    * french speak mostly french on those servers.
    * french % of the playerbase is huge.

That means that a large portion of the playerbase is alienated.
    I know Iself tried french servers and had bad runs there.

Now I do not see any solution but its a shame that such a large % is being alienated. (Either them from the rest or the rest from them, depending on your view)
    Unless we all learn french (and I tried this years ago and failed horribly), or they all speak english we effectively have 2 distinct 'huge' playerbasis
  • BoBiNoUBoBiNoU Join Date: 2007-12-27 Member: 63274Members
    Avoid those servers.
    Their server their rule, you're free to get your own server.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    @OP
    *English isn't the official language in EU. In fact there is none. Last count was 24 official tongs. Not everybody in UE speaks english (because history etc.). Look for UE council in youtube. You'll see many depute use the traducing device.
    *French server are too few to pose a real problem.
    *Their servers, their rules (deal with it)

I do understand why they prefer speak French. It is (as other latin language and German) so rich compared to English that it is like dumb yourself to be able to say something. We (yes WE) have so many ways to say things not counting the "hidden speech" (i may say).

On the other hand more ppl should welcome ppl with a vocal MOTD saying basically: "It's a french server, rule is you speak french".

As Delta78 pointed out quite accurately, it doesn't need a language expert to say "nano; help" or "nano problem".

sumo0 wrote: »
    Well, if there is one thing that i have learned from being danish (5.5 million danes) it is that nationalism or national pride is one of the most stupid things we humans have made as of yet. But on second thought, why not go to war over it (again)?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_native_speakers

according to that list we should all speak Mandarin:D French are not even on top 10 lol.

How about every nation start to exclusively speak their own language.. That wouldn't be a mess in any way.

@Sumo0 : depending on the criteria like "historical influence" or "economics" (or something else) the list will change drastically. You would be surprised that German is also in the top ten and not because of the WWII.
    Well the problem is with accents you dont always recognise the names like nano, if there are no familiar words to see context.

I however realised a bigger problem.

* devs communicate in english.
    * game is in english.
    * many (not all) nonenglish players communicate in english.
    * forum is in english.
    * french speak mostly french on those servers.
    * french % of the playerbase is huge.

That means that a large portion of the playerbase is alienated.
    I know Iself tried french servers and had bad runs there.

Now I do not see any solution but its a shame that such a large % is being alienated. (Either them from the rest or the rest from them, depending on your view)
    Unless we all learn french (and I tried this years ago and failed horribly), or they all speak english we effectively have 2 distinct 'huge' playerbasis

Yup.
    And learning several languages make people live older (meaning brain activity is good for you). In fact the more you learn in life the better it is for you not only for health.
    Ironman wrote: »
    French people are intolerant of English speaking people.
    Get to know them. You'll see French eat potatoes and sausages, drink beer too. They do not hate english ppl. Thought the most aware have good reasons to hate the United Empire of America (not the ppl the gov) but that's another story.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    @UncleCrunch
    You underestimate the large % which is french NS2 players. Its a big percentage unless it changed since the last graph uwe gave us.
  • VenatosVenatos Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149762Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    well yes, french people are known for their dismissive attitude towards other languages and people. but i often wonder if its not simply a matter of their education system. in most european countries english is a standard subject starting at the age of 6-8 all the way to 16-18. maybe thats not the case in france?

anyway, english is a rather simple language and therefore an easy choice for a 2nd language to use in international encounters.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I once tried sign language, but somehow no one understood me :>

What was that... Back to my corner?

FINE! :(
    edited August 2013
    Venatos wrote: »
    well yes, french people are known for their dismissive attitude towards other languages and people. but i often wonder if its not simply a matter of their education system. in most european countries english is a standard subject starting at the age of 6-8 all the way to 16-18. maybe thats not the case in france?

anyway, english is a rather simple language and therefore an easy choice for a 2nd language to use in international encounters.

Same as for Germany and Italy.
    Those countries are dubbing every american tv show in their own language which small nothern countries cant really afford ( where you only get subtitles ).

• princessprincess Yaaar! Bristol Join Date: 2004-09-11 Member: 31605Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    Everyone should just learn mandarin.
    edited August 2013
    BoBiNoU wrote: »
    Venatos wrote: »

Same as for Germany and Italy.
    Those countries are dubbing every american tv show in their own language which small nothern countries cant really afford ( where you only get subtitles ).

Who cares. I just don't watch german TV, lol. And reading subtitles is only hard if you can't read.
    We are talking about french people refusing to speak anything but french on NS2 servers. How was that not clear?
    Also, in Denmark we don't do it because we wan't the movies'N stuff in the proper language (word through mouth movement and all that). And the subtitles are often done poorly, so if you only read the subtitles alot of the actual dialogue is lost. And staring at the text raither than the picture itself is IMO like throwing away parts of the movie.
    princess wrote: »
    Everyone should just learn mandarin.
    Agreed. It would also make watching kung fu movies that much easier.

edited August 2013
    Accidental double post.
    I was commenting on your remarks.
    I see a lot of french players speaking english on servers except on servers clearly labelled FR and mostly populated with french ppl.
    If you're not happy with it you can just join another server or learn french or just keep playing without having to whine about it here
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Personal preferences aside, subtitles are infinitely better than dubbing when it comes to education. With subtitles, kids learn both the foreign language as well as reading their native language. With dubbing you don't get anything you wouldn't get from your domestic environment.
  • Know painKnow pain Join Date: 2012-09-04 Member: 157674Members
    Yes please, you stay on your side of the world and I'll stay on my side of the world.