Ideas for Alien improvements

SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
edited July 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
Have some % increase of damage as Biomass increases. Like 1-2 points damage increase for skulks, whatever % would account for that, for every Biomass upgrade.
For every hive Aliens have, increase the amount of things gorges can place. Like 2 hives gorges can place 5 hydras, 12 clogs, 4 babbler eggs. 3 hives gorges can place 6 hydras, 15 clogs, 5 babbler eggs, another set of tunnels, 2 total linked ones. 4 hives gorges can place 8 hydras 20 clogs, 6 babbler eggs. something like that. Possibly make it upgradable. Through Biomass, or make it unlockable to buy once you upgrade biomass. If Aliens lose a hive, the Biomass slowly goes away for that hive, not immediate. Maybe not the best suggestions, but I thought I would throw them out there, as just a suggestion. Not exactly numbers, just examples to give you an idea.

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2013
    Sry but i get nightmares thinking about a gorge with 6+ hydras :-S But i support the dmg increase with biomass. With that change biomass would be fully equal to marines upgrades.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Well, those numbers aren't set in stone. Just numbers to give you an idea what I am trying to say.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sry but i get nightmares thinking about a gorge with 6+ hydras :-S But i support the dmg increase with biomass. With that change biomass would be fully equal to marines upgrades.
    If the aliens had 4 hives, you would have more to worry about than 6 hydras.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2013
    Combat with more than 3 hydras showed why gorges shouldn't be alowed to build more. Instant kill when entering room o.O
  • MaLuSMaLuS Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182769Members
    easy counter is called a flame thrower or an arc, I don't see any problem with it. I quite like the idea
    MaLuS wrote: »
    easy counter is called a flame thrower or an arc, I don't see any problem with it. I quite like the idea
    Im talking about a gorge base rush btw.

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    MaLuS wrote: »
    Im talking about a gorge base rush btw.

A successful gorge rush where all gorges put down hydras is very hard to stop without advanced weapons. More hydras IMO would increase the chance of the rush being successful later in the game., when Marines have all their powerful tech. Since flamethrowers

Maybe it could be where 1 gorge can only put 3 in a room, like sentries. I use them more for 1 placed at entrances and stuff to alert when Marines may be trying something sneaky, but yes I can see how it could become OP if not regulated like sentries. 6 hydras in nano is very hard to get rid of with no flamethrower
  • AlkixAlkix Join Date: 2013-07-10 Member: 186046Members
    I think the idea of damage increase already exists as biomass is increased.

When biomass is increased, aliens get more health, personal upgrades, and abilities. These three things allow aliens to live longer in combat, or enter combat more efficiently.

The longer you live, the more attacks you can land, which means more damage. On top of this, aliens have special tools to ignore the marines main defensive upgrade:armor. Bile bomb strips armor very effectively, and spores bypass it completely! (Did you know that spores kill a lvl0 armor marine at the same speed as a lvl 3 armor marine?)

For the skulk, upgrades like leap allow skulks to fight jet packs more effectively (jet packs serve as extra life time = extra damage). Leap also allows skulks to get to buildings far away faster, which reduces the time the building is alive (but doesn't reduce marine response time), which can be seen as extra damage (in a way). Xenocide is a greatly underused skulk skill, especially in large pub games. It does so much damage. Combined with spore and bile bomb pressure, xenocide is the nail in the coffin for the turtle or ball of death. (I'll go so far as to theorize that you don't even need onos, but just fades to deal with jetpackers running down gorges and lerks.)

Use upgrades and abilities to live longer, so you can do more damage and kill more people. It's an issue of skill. Biomass giving health is merely useful to offset the increase in weapons damage that marines get, and I think to an extent, structure maturity is as well. I'm not sure if biomass affects structure health, but imo, it should, because Weapons 3 axes eat up harvesters unfairly.
    edited October 2013
    Yes but how long do spores last with everyone having flamethrowers now. Health is not going to matter with exos as you are dead in a few small seconds if that. If you do manage to ambush them it would be nice to get even a little bit more damage in. But true nonetheless that health does contribute to more damage in that sense.
  • Anti94Anti94 Join Date: 2013-07-31 Member: 186489Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I completely agree with the % increase of damage. Would it also apply to hydras and whips ?

I am not so sure about the increased number of buildables but I think it is worth a try.
  • Nexus5Nexus5 Join Date: 2013-07-27 Member: 186420Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't think the % should apply to structures, but allowing more buildable items would some what negate that anyway. I like the idea of being able to build more or less depending on if the Commander decides to build another hive, especially for tunnels if nothing else.