More synergy/cooperation between the Khamm and Gorges

MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
edited November 2012 in Ideas and Suggestions
One thing I would love to see is more mechanics that encourage cooperation between the Kahmm and Gorges.

For example, give gorges the ability to consume and regurgitate alien structures to allow them to be moved to another part of the map. This would let them protect upgrade chambers, move support chambers forward or maybe even move them onto walls/ceilings.

Perhaps, if the consumed chamber has passive abilities, they would remain active while the gorge is holding them. Which would allow the gorge to become a mobile health or energy regen station or perhaps even a mobile cloaking field if they consume a shade.

Can you guys think of any other ways the Khamm could cooperate with gorges?

Comments

• yehawmcgrawyehawmcgraw Join Date: 2012-09-16 Member: 159694Members
    I appreciate your concerns; sometimes the khamm seems entirely detached from the team, and gorge coordination would be a great dimension on which to reward teamwork.

I like your idea about gorges relocating building a lot, but a gorge consuming a whole building seems silly (it's bigger than the gorge, and the effects permeating outside of the gorge is a stretch). <b>How about the gorge dragging/pushing them? </b>Moving it would leave you more vulnerable, be very readily apparent that you're doing it (it's not hidden inside you), and might look damn cute doing it. Effects still on while dragging on creep.

<b>Imagine a gorge dragging a whip in and out of battle to attack with it or save it by bringing it back to the hive to heal. Imaging a gorge dragging a shift to the front line to provide to provide energy and eggs up ahead. Imagine a gorge dragging a shade to cloak the most current edge of the cyst chain and otherwise protecting the gorge! </b>

To me this would not be redundant with echoing and be much more intuitive and costs nothing and the player can do it.
  • HusarHusar Join Date: 2012-11-11 Member: 169523Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=2023790:date=Nov 15 2012, 12:29 AM:name=Mouse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mouse @ Nov 15 2012, 12:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2023790"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->One thing I would love to see is more mechanics that encourage cooperation between the Kahmm and Gorges.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I like that idea. It would push the importance of the Gorge, like in the old ages of NS1.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For example, give gorges the ability to consume and regurgitate alien structures to allow them to be moved to another part of the map. This would let them protect upgrade chambers, move support chambers forward or maybe even move them onto walls/ceilings.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is very interesting and i like this idea a lot, because the Gorge is a passive structure building character what makes this idea very sound. But we have already Shift for that. It seems redundant.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Perhaps, if the consumed chamber has passive abilities, they would remain active while the gorge is holding them. Which would allow the gorge to become a mobile health or energy regen station or perhaps even a mobile cloaking field if they consume a shade.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Why leave it just to passive chambers, could you imagine what happens if a Gorge consumes a Whip? *Gorge-<b>Frogtongue</b>-Whip-Attack* xD No just kidding. ;)
    I like that idea too, very much of course, but it seems overpowered. Maybe if the Gorge couldn't do anything else it would be fair? Or due to lack of infestation the structures are less effective inside a Gorge?

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can you guys think of any other ways the Khamm could cooperate with gorges?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I wish I had some, but you took already the best. ;D
  • drilltoothdrilltooth Join Date: 2012-11-12 Member: 170096Members
    about the only I could think of, is using clogs as creep patches. so, gorge could reconnect islanded resnodes or sneak in, and puke up a temp. base for kahm to drop a structure ahead of the cyst chain. like you could drop it on the clog, but it'd need healspam to build and keep it up. so only useful with silence+adren. and/or shifts. and the, idea of a gorge delivering onos eggs to the front amuses me for some reason. sort of like a ground-based onos bomb, in certain configurations of lerklift for ns1.
  • ImbalanxdImbalanxd Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104581Members
    Synergy between the comm and a single life form makes the comm reliant on someone being that life form. In NS1 it was very much acceptable to say that at least SOMEONE had to be a gorge. NS2 doesn't seem to be like that.
  • xxswatelitexxxxswatelitexx Join Date: 2012-11-16 Member: 171754Members
    That would essentially unbalance the game

1. Gorges are already mobile healing stations
    2. Gorges would no longer require to expend energy to become mobile units in that case. Hence unbalancing the game

----

The idea of moving a structure is not bad, but giving passive abilities is 2 much.
    They should just be able to move without any buff. Infact it makes them slower when carrying the structure.

----

When adding something its not useful to only give positives. Their should also be a disadvantage to any feature. Simply giving them passive abilities at no loss to them. Would be 2 much. You are granting them a huge benefit by allowing them to save a structure or save money by moving a structure. That it self requires some disadvantage.
    One if the gorge dies while moving both the structure and gorge die. The gorge also moves at 50% speed while moving it.

If you want them to gain ability, they do not gain passive ability. Only an extra active ability, that costs 50% more to use. So a Shade cloud is released like an umbra cloud, that temporarily hides aliens in it. Or a healing mist is released that heals all aliens within it. But the cost is 25% of total stamina per use .
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Given all the discussion about fade balls and tech explosions, I figured I'd give this thread a bump.
  • Nexus5Nexus5 Join Date: 2013-07-27 Member: 186420Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Interesting idea's I love the gorge and like to help the commander build quickly and far, but making the Unit even more relied upon I do not want to see. I am noticing in the bigger games that occasionally the alien teams are starting to suffer from a shortage of skulks or other life forms and this can have serious consequence to who ends up winning the game. I feel other life forms should be looked at first or maybe introducing a new unit separate from the gorge that really does have a much closer relationship to the commander, such as being able to move structures, re-cyst area's needed etc