Onos - Hook, Swallow

stibaerstibaer Join Date: 2013-07-25 Member: 186398Members
Last Tech for Onos:
Shooting out tentacle/tongue/hook to pull a marine into his mouth. If he is very close by he gets swallowed right away and digested over a certain amount of time, depending on its health/armor. If onos gets killed before marine has been digested completely it will survive with his leftover health.
Tricky to use, because it doesnt have autoaim. High rechargetime. Cant be cut off. Onos moves slower away while pulling marine. Moves on normal speed while approaching hooked marine.
Its easy against a single marine, trickier against a marien you pull out of the mainbase. You cant attack, while pulling a marine, but stomp.

Justification: You see tentacles on nearly any alien. Why dont they fullfill any function ever?

Comments

• kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    :DD this sounds fun
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2013
    Reminds me of the smoker of L4D2. Its a cool idea but i dont think that it would be a usefull attack for the onus, because why should you focus on one marine if you could run in and get 3 easily.
  • DraptorDraptor Join Date: 2013-03-05 Member: 183721Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't see it as fitting the Onos' role as a damage soaker and power/IP smasher. It would be useful for the 5 minutes of waiting around the corner until your team is ready to end the damn thing, but it just seems wrong that the Onos could easily take down Jetpackers, one of its counters. In addition, in NS1 the Onos had a devour ability that worked almost exactly as you described. It was considered funny at first, but not fun after the second or third time you have to sit there twiddling your thumb staring at a fleshy screen until you died. It was in effect a one hit kill.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Reminds me of the smoker of L4D2. Its a cool idea but i dont think that it would be a usefull attack for the onus, because why should you focus on one marine if you could run in and get 3 easily.

Because you can't beat 3 marines by yourself and a devour ability immediately takes one out of the picture. It's also more important to devour because it takes the marine out of play for a significantly longer time than a death. It also counters the counter of jetpacks in a reasonable way. An ability like this along with it's lower health makes a lot of sense
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    I like it! Would help against getting solod by a jp shotgunner, and help break through heavy marine turtle scenarios!
  • stibaerstibaer Join Date: 2013-07-25 Member: 186398Members
    joederp wrote: »
    I like it! Would help against getting solod by a jp shotgunner, and help break through heavy marine turtle scenarios!
    Exactly!

• Anti94Anti94 Join Date: 2013-07-31 Member: 186489Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I agree with the idea. I really miss the ns1 devour ability !
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow

- Pick the marine welding the exos.
    - Pick the flamer from a group.
    - Bring down that jetpacker laughing at you.
    - Probably a lot more uses than you and I can think of.
  • Nexus5Nexus5 Join Date: 2013-07-27 Member: 186420Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Technically if the onos swallowed you whole shouldn't you keep your weapon and cause damage on the inside, to try and kill the onos from inside while the team are shooting on the outside? Seems a bit unfair for an Onos to one shot a flame thrower, welder jetpacker and they have to sit inside twiddling there thumbs till death, if there was at least an opportunity for the marine to cause damage and kill the onos from the inside out it would be more fair and agreeable I feel to be introduced into the game.