Difficulty curve and Map control

TupperwitsTupperwits Join Date: 2013-07-29 Member: 186441Members
I would like to suggest that extractors/harvesters are easier to destroy when there are more on the field.

I originally wrote out a long break down but it was very long winded and presumptuous but it basically comes down to I don’t like conceding. Conceding is the option you take when you no longer feel you have a stake in the game and with the number of people saying they’re being steamrolled in games I feel conceding is quick solution to a deeper flaw in the game mechanics.

The way Natural selection works is which team can perform a positive feedback loop the most efficiently, more RT’s means more resources making it easier to win but this means it gets easier for skilled teams (who gain the upper hand) and harder for lesser skilled teams (who fall behind). An underdog team has to retake resource nodes against increasing difficulty and then defend while the difference is bridged. people concede when it's not worth the effort. Often a new match is started only to result in the same way which is incredibly frustrating.

Making RT’s have less health when you have more of them would introduce a negative feedback loop to compensate. This will make map control over RT's harder creating an upward difficulty curve in winning rather than losing and vice versa. All of the official maps have an odd number resource nodes and so in a good match balanced teams are fighting over an unbalanced amount of resources. This mechanic would make an equilibrium around this point until upgrades allow you to break out of it reducing the need to concede.

The numbers would need tweaking but let me know what you think

P.S. I’m not slating unknown worlds, Natural selection is amazing

Comments

• The_Flying_FishThe_Flying_Fish Join Date: 2003-11-30 Member: 23757Members
    i agree, i'm sick of the better team always winning!!!!
    aliens should get a blue shell so if the marine team gets too far ahead they can launch it and take out a command chair!!
  • TupperwitsTupperwits Join Date: 2013-07-29 Member: 186441Members
    edited July 2013
    i agree, i'm sick of the better team always winning!!!!
    You joined in 2003, I'm guessing you usually win. I'm saying it isn't a fair fight after a certain point, which would be fine if it didn't take an hour to lose. This is what new players are being turned away by. This game has bad retention.
    aliens should get a blue shell so if the marine team gets too far ahead they can launch it and take out a command chair!!

RT's don't destroy themselves. The "better team" should be able to defend

• HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Terrible suggestion. RTS games are, by their essence, mostly spiraling games - the more you win, the easier it gets to win the next battle - and that's fine.

I don't like being penalized for doing better than the other team. If they are bad, they deserve to lose in time^-how_bad_they_are.
    if it takes an hour to lose now imagine how much longer it'll take with this idea
  • DraptorDraptor Join Date: 2013-03-05 Member: 183721Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Doesn't this already exist in a different way? Even when a team is behind, they're constantly teching up. Higher lifeforms, bigger guns, researches that do more damage, flamers and bile...

As the game progresses, stronger weapons are available, so structures in a way become weaker.
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    @Draptor, Marines get that yes with the arms lab, but aliens don't.

Aliens place up to nine spurs, all costing and if one is gone (say along with a hive) you can't get it back for some time. Marines need one arms lab, and lose the perks temporarily if its destroyed/depowered. Alien strength is in stronger lifeforms; lerks, fades and oh shit!*. These get killed, aliens will find it hard to counter.

Back to weaker structures, the skulk never gets more damage, but is generally regarded as the res killing unit and that is what it is good at. Structures don't get weaker to skulks, lerk bite is worse than skulk bite and fades do piercing damage (less damage to structures).

You do have a slight point, I'm just not sure it applies 100% both sides :(

*I saw a joke on someone sig, it means onos(s).
  • DraptorDraptor Join Date: 2013-03-05 Member: 183721Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    Well I'm talking about more than upgrades. Even an alien team on one RT and one hive can eventually get a Gorge with bilebomb. While they may not get the same number of upgrades from one base as Marines do (And that's a whole 'nother issue that needs to be addressed IMO) both teams eventually get better structure killers. Even Fades and Onos count in this way, and both can be had from one hive even if they're weak in that state.
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    @draptor, its snowballing I'm talking about.

"from one hive even if they're weak in that state. ". A one hive skulk is going to find it very difficult to beat a maxed basic marine. Maxed skulk, maybe.

Even a fade can have trouble fighting a marine if they have shotgun, W/A3 while the fade has one set of upgrades. (not even going into jetpacks).
  • TupperwitsTupperwits Join Date: 2013-07-29 Member: 186441Members