What is DPI exactly?

2»

Comments

• FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    edited July 2013
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    mattji104 wrote: »
    I run at 3000dpi with 0.5 in game sensitivity.. seems to work fine for me. I've tried lower dpi + higher sens but it didn't make much of a difference, just felt a little less smooth.

Lower DPI + higher sens Is where I settled but it's the only thing I didn't see a noticable increase in my aiming potential with. Everything else has helped immensely.

1. Raw input on
    2. Disable windows pointer precision
    3. FOCUS on your lmg when playing with your settings. Let everything else fall into place once you have "muscle memory" to twitch and track to a point you're comfortable with.

edit: raw input ON

Just so you know, changing windows settings at all after enabling raw input is pointless. It's like you're ignoring the whole point of raw input.

Have you read UWEs coding for it's use? 'Cause your statement may be theoretically correct, but it isn't physically. Just so you know.
  • CarefootCarefoot Join Date: 2009-07-28 Member: 68288Members
    edited July 2013
    The logitech G9X has like what 5000 DPI max? Might be great for you (some medium traction) over 4+ monitors but maybe I can still kill you with 500 off my G5 logitech from 2005. Its all bullshit folks and its bad for ya.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    I run at 3000dpi with 0.5 in game sensitivity.. seems to work fine for me. I've tried lower dpi + higher sens but it didn't make much of a difference, just felt a little less smooth.

Lower DPI + higher sens Is where I settled but it's the only thing I didn't see a noticable increase in my aiming potential with. Everything else has helped immensely.

1. Raw input on
    2. Disable windows pointer precision
    3. FOCUS on your lmg when playing with your settings. Let everything else fall into place once you have "muscle memory" to twitch and track to a point you're comfortable with.

edit: raw input ON

Just so you know, changing windows settings at all after enabling raw input is pointless. It's like you're ignoring the whole point of raw input.

Have you read UWEs coding for it's use? 'Cause your statement may be theoretically correct, but it isn't physically. Just so you know.

If it's somehow different then they shouldn't of named it "Raw Input".
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    I'm pretty late to the party but here's an explanation I think you'll be happy with.

DPI stands for dots per inch, a dot can be thought of as a digital blip sent to the computer by the mouse to be interpreted. A higher DPI means more blips are sent to the computer, the computer will work with these blips based on it's own sensitivity. This is why if the DPI is high, mouse cursor moves faster.

As for windows mouse sensitivity, it's a little weird, but the default setting (6 bars over, or... in the middle) does not(well it does, but let's ignore that fact) do anything with the DPI blips the mouse is sending to the computer, it just churns it into mouse cursor movement data. Lowering the windows sensitivity is a simple mathematical division(probably actually using mul... wait, it's windows, nevermind) that does two things: reduces the distance the cursor travels and also craps on the reliability of motion.

Increasing the windows sensitivity multiplies the input DPI data by some amount, which also tends to destroy reliability of the mouse input data.

For reference, I have a 4 year old logitech G9x, the box says 5000 DPI, the software says 5700... I have it set to, I don't even know anymore, I think it's 800, I don't really care either, if the game imput has lag I won't be able to play effectively anyway... still waiting on more ns2 optimisations :D, almost there ;).