co_BlackMesa

2»

Comments

• ObliviousSightObliviousSight Join Date: 2012-09-07 Member: 158306Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Really enjoyed playing this last night during the test.

I too was a bit wary of the size when I first looked at it, but that was proved to be unfounded.

Look forward to testing the map some more and bringing to light any issues I can find. :D
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    I would recommend to make the portals like the ns1 version where they only take you to the alien side but not the reverse.

Regardless of that I think that the hall outside MS should be un obstructed. Yes in ns1 there was a switch to toggle it but for the MS hall everyone always tried to keep them down and in the hive hall up. I think adding a bit of inverse to this can adjust the balance of the hall to help marines defend their base more effectively. It should be left alone on the alien base as to help protect the hive.

It would also be nice to actually see some more visual difference between the mirrored areas. I think it could add more depth to the map and make things easier to pick up for new players so they can more easily identify where they are. Names for areas of the map may help this as well so that new players can better understand team communications as to where to be and go on the map.
  • DaanVanYperenDaanVanYperen The Netherlands Join Date: 2013-06-16 Member: 185580Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Last sundays playtesting match.

• =Mr.P==Mr.P= Join Date: 2012-02-20 Member: 147025Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2013
    ZEROibis wrote: »
    I would recommend to make the portals like the ns1 version where they only take you to the alien side but not the reverse.

Regardless of that I think that the hall outside MS should be un obstructed. Yes in ns1 there was a switch to toggle it but for the MS hall everyone always tried to keep them down and in the hive hall up. I think adding a bit of inverse to this can adjust the balance of the hall to help marines defend their base more effectively. It should be left alone on the alien base as to help protect the hive.

It would also be nice to actually see some more visual difference between the mirrored areas. I think it could add more depth to the map and make things easier to pick up for new players so they can more easily identify where they are. Names for areas of the map may help this as well so that new players can better understand team communications as to where to be and go on the map.

hey Zero <ibis> thank you for your feedback

thank`s for the information about the portals did not remember how they work in ns1 :)
    the wall of boxes to MS hall is now removed
    for the mini map is now updated and have some placeholder names
    the door is now deleted for the portal room

i also fixed some glitches and some places you cud get stuck

picture of mini map updated
    minimap_zps0403722c.jpg
    Map broke using { "map": "ns2_co_blackmesa", "mods": [ "8bceb5c" ] },

says file not found
    Ah found the problem:
    Downloading mods
    Starting download of 'ns2_co_blackmesa'
    Client connecting (24.246.74.218)
    Error: Error installing mod 'ns2_co_blackmesa' (download failed: 28)

This is yet another prefect example of why I hate the dam workshop...
    Oh btw it is not just my server, I have tested some others and even locally and none will download the map and all give the same error...
    edited June 2013
    Ah found the problem:
    Downloading mods
    Starting download of 'ns2_co_blackmesa'
    Client connecting (24.246.74.218)
    Error: Error installing mod 'ns2_co_blackmesa' (download failed: 28)

This is yet another prefect example of why I hate the dam workshop...

the map is so big because of custom texture i recommend you up upload it manually
    works fine on my server
    did a small clean up in the texture folder updated now

I feel like I win a prize, I fucking knew that somehow my server or internet would get blamed for steam workshop not working.

It does not download on my actual dedicated box with 1GB/s tier 1 bandwidth. It does not download at my house on AT&T or on my Comcast connection or my 3g or on my sisters 4g.

There is a problem with the publishing in the workshop. Please open up a dedicated server and see that it does not download.
    Now I do know that there is something strange going on with steam workshop now and only large files. I have just deleted some other large maps on multiple systems to see if they dl. For example ns2_co_dm6 is over 100MB. When I deleted it it also gave the same error that it can not dl.

I will try some smaller maps to and see if it is everything or just large maps broken.

The big issue is that on all my computers and server these downloads worked before. So either A) valve is trying to cap file sizes or B) something is messed up in their content servers.
    I see that small map dl fine.

Also in addition to the: Error: Error installing mod 'ns2_co_blackmesa' (download failed: 28)
    It also says: Error: Mod wasn't available
    Perhaps when maps are above a particular size they need to be split up or something.

Another alternative would be to start publishing all updates as new workshop items to prevent breakage.

Unfortunately, I still have been able to obtain the map at all even to play locally, and I can not wait to try out the latest changes!

that`s weird i have tray download my self i get it down i also asked some friends and they don`t have any problem dl some of them got disconnect by joining my server but it still dl it in mod`s option in main menu

dl the map throe the server don`t work its to big

i am upload it manually to my server after dl on my client (steam account)

if it helps join my server and dl it that way
    server# ip: 62.65.106.53:27050
    edited June 2013

~O) link is deleted ~O)
    OK it just now dl fine on my local server. Whatever issue valve was having must have been resolved now.
    edited June 2013
    The portals no longer work for aliens. In ns1 they were for everyone but they only went in 1 direction. You could go to the alien room but any team could use them. This was useful for lifeforms that wanted to retreat to hive to heal or to defend.

Also the portal room being open persists in multiple rounds. For example if you play and the portal opens and you win right then the protal is still open next round.
    edited June 2013
    The portals no longer work for aliens. In ns1 they were for everyone but they only went in 1 direction. You could go to the alien room but any team could use them. This was useful for lifeforms that wanted to retreat to hive to heal or to defend.

Also the portal room being open persists in multiple rounds. For example if you play and the portal opens and you win right then the protal is still open next round.

i have to look in to tho`s portals they work fine earlier today as alien and marine, last update must have don some ting to it steam work shop or the launch pad is messed up as usual -.-
    my map/level works fine wen testing it now but not the one from steam work shop so weird i have no idea,
    i will update it tomorrow if i have the time and don`t have to go back to work

fore the portal room door i removed it so that's why its open :)
  • TurbineTurbine Join Date: 2012-09-13 Member: 159160Members
    I barely recognise the new map. It looks nice but doesn't feel like half-life. *inserts sad face here*
  • DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    The reason the portal was one way in ns1 was due to alien default win. With overttime I'm not sure that a portal is necessary, but I'd be highly concerned about only letting one team use the portal for balance reasons.
    If the portal is returned to be bi directional and work for both teams than the hall there outside marine start should have the extra barriers on the sides removed for balance so it is a more difficult approach like in ns1.
    edited June 2013
    hey guys and girls i have done a update the portals now work for both teams
    DarkSeraph wrote: »
    The reason the portal was one way in ns1 was due to alien default win. With overttime I'm not sure that a portal is necessary, but I'd be highly concerned about only letting one team use the portal for balance reasons.

i whose need to do some ting, i am watching stats every day i can and the kill heat-maps shows the marines is mostly kill`d in there base,
    so marines need the portal so they can move out there base quickly and maybe force the alien team back to there base a bit.
    the stats will show in one week if its more balance or not regarding win/lose and kill heat-maps which is rely use full

If the portal is returned to be bi directional and work for both teams than the hall there outside marine start should have the extra barriers on the sides removed for balance so it is a more difficult approach like in ns1.

this whose the plan and whose in but the launch pad or steam work shop messed it up fixed now,
    i have tested on my server and all works

updated some missing texture
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    edited June 2013
    It's good to see a black mesa map but i don't really like the changes or dim lighting, i was hoping it would be more like the original or at least a modern version like in black mesa mod, thanks for making it but please do a classic version as well.
    Had to remove map b/c for days now steam has not been sending the file to new clients. Finally I know why the server dies every time it goes to that map.
  • woodywoody SoCal Woody56 Join Date: 2004-02-14 Member: 26541Members
    Great improvements and we look fwd to more awesome work, Thanks Mr. P