Slots reserved for spectators

DrSmugleafDrSmugleaf Join Date: 2013-07-26 Member: 186408Members
edited July 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
So, I have come across some rather special players in my NS2 experience, who would be best described as pros being rather mean.
What has come to happen to me or others in many servers is that when we go to spectate to learn ( because we suck at this game ) to play either marine, aliens, marine comm, or alien comm, people get upset at the speed of sound, and just end up kicking those who spectate, resulting in: Hey, we suck, can we spectate or do we need a bloody license?

So the idea is: Slots reserved for spectators! Very simple, imagine you have one server of 20 max players, 10v10, then you would add a special column in the browser saying ''Spec Slots'', for example 5 or 10, thus allowing new players to learn the game faster by actually watching some actual gameplay of that day. Then you would just disable kicking for spectators. This would also solve the problems of those players that just go to spectate when their team is losing.

Really don't see the point in a spectator function if people get mad and kick spectators. Thats why I have come to the conclusion that they get mad because either:
1) Less people are actually playing on both teams. Spec Slots would solve this.
2) They are just rather mean and want to kick the spectators: Spec Slots would also solve this, because you can't get kicked.

Problems

1: But, an spectator could tell one team what the other one is doing, giving that team an advantage!
Solution: Put a 1 or 2 minutes delay on spectate. You are just spectating, you don't mind delay.

2: JUST PLAY THE GAME YOU BLOODY SCUM!
You would find yourself knowing nothing, and I have found spectating is a pretty good way to go about learning, until ragers just kick you out.

3: You know there is something called a wiki right?
You know that wiki is pretty empty and also it wont give you ''replays'' of recent games, recent as in NOW.

DISCLAIMER: My english sucks. If someone wants to correct it then go ahead.

TL;DR: Spec slots in servers. Specs cant be kicked. Delay on their side. Everyone is happy. Community2Good.

Comments

• CabooseCaboose title = name(self, handle) Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13597Members, Constellation
    edited July 2013
    http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Natural Selection 2

You can watch without taking up server slots, either live, or from many prerecorded matches. It's not every game/player/server, and you only get to watch one player, but you can usually find someone who's good to watch and learn from.
  • Nexus5Nexus5 Join Date: 2013-07-27 Member: 186420Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I like this idea, not only should it help cut down on cheaters as you never know when someone might be spectating you (as it wouldn't affect the game) but it can as the original post states, help people to learn the game better/faster. Watching Youtube video's is no where near as good as spectating, it just doesn't compare as you can really flick between many different Players, circle around them or watch from the view of the comm.

+1 to Spectating Slots.