server room progress

FandoreFandore Join Date: 2013-07-09 Member: 186007Members
here's a pic of some progress in the server room i am putting together. sadly, this is only a small fraction of what i plan for the room =(

Comments

• shriikeshriike Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184461Members
    Seems pretty hard for aliens to do anything there. Maybe put a pillar in the middle?
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Or perhaps a server rack or two. :D

I realize everyone has different workflow, but I personally prefer to start with lighting as soon as I start detailing an area (texturing, adding props). Something to consider?

Nice going though, keep at it. And trim those floors! ;)
  • FandoreFandore Join Date: 2013-07-09 Member: 186007Members
    this is only going to be one side of the room, the other will have the actual servers and places to hide for aliens, i am trying to plan this for marines first and then, when i get some other rooms started, im going to attempt to fit them together, im actually very new to this =/ oh and Flat, your work is insane
  • Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
    Hey, nice start here! If you wanna add some curves to your geometry check tutorials in my signature. I know that you are experienced with 3D-Max, but Spark Editor is very basic in geometry creation compared to Max, so it could help you adapt your work-flow to Spark.

Also I would suggest you to stick to spamming the forum topics less, lot of issues you have started topics about are already mentioned in FAQ or in other topics. I am no admin, but is always better to keep forum uncluttered.

Anyways, welcome and keep the good work!
  • xtcmenxtcmen Join Date: 2004-04-20 Member: 28040Members, Squad Five Blue
    Great start, reminds me of my first room. The most important advice I can give you is to go load up an official map on spark and try to mimic how they do things... Texturing, a common theme, trimming etc.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Seems a bit like a dead end room with the RT in such a deep alcove, a room type which can potentially disrupt the map flow. However, I can't really judge that without seeing the other side ;)
  • QwiXXeRQwiXXeR Join Date: 2004-11-05 Member: 32640Members
    Hows it going ?, any new progress shots ?
    Hows this going ?, got anythign we can look at tonight in our weekly custom map playtest session ?
    well i am still working diligently on my map and far from given up, the room i am making right now is going to be soo big, it will take great time to complete, my goal is to capture an area that takes vantage of space. i plan on making this room have well... rooms that are structures themselves, you will be able to go up and down four flights of stairs and the whole area, if it gos right... will be open space within itself. though, i am worried about how that will play from birds eye view....
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Yeah, remember that level-over-level doesn't work out very well for the commander. At a maximum you'll see some catwalks used in other NS2 maps, but you have to be very careful not to place a room overtop another room.
    yeah i want the room big though and im fully aware of this, i think i am only going to so one room like this... it will be big and very annoying to the coms but a heck load of fun to play on.
  • HowserHowser UK Join Date: 2010-02-08 Member: 70488Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    edited August 2013
    Have you ever considered making it a combat mode map? You have a lot more freedom to try out cool ideas. my advice would be keep everything as simple as possible in the early phases of design and especially when you're learning the editor.
    thats the plan, i plan on flushing out the basic shapes and allow room to add stuff
    @Fandore Hows this coming along ?

We wanna see mroe screenies :P