Content Update speculation thread

hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
edited July 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
To not spam the other thread, let's speculate about what's in the September content update here!

Confirmed:
  • Female Marine
    No gameplay addition but I guess she's nice to have.
  • Linux support (if they make it in time) and OpenGL/DX3D11 support
  • Map: Biodome

Speculation:
  • Map: Eclipse
    This excellent remake vanished from the face of custom map servers, with the rumor it will be made official. Later rumors spoke of big changes to the layout, and whether the map should keep it's name or that would irritate people who expect a more true to the original layout. Anyways, will we see this gem in the update?
  • Hand Grenades
    Nade cooking, oh yeah! Vent Skulks, beware! These might be extremely fun.
  • Gorge Webs
    Not sure what these are, but people keep mentioning them.
  • HMG or some other new Marine gun (admittedly, this is disputable)
    Recent balance mod changelogs spoke of an Assault Rifle with bigger clip capacity and more damage/DPS. Does this remind you of anything? While I'm not sure what happened to the idea, a high DPS spray-and-pray like weapon to combat higher lifeforms (especially Fades) might give Marines what they often need.
  • Matchmaking and Tournament Support
    This seems to be the point of Sabot. Will it be in the update?

Wishlist:
  • Balance changes that give Aliens more possible upgrade order variety, and improve 1 Hive Alien comeback ability.
  • Can we have a chat box? And maybe keybinds and some of the other small things people request repeatedly. Please :P

Add your ideas!

Comments

• Kenshir0Kenshir0 Join Date: 2013-02-25 Member: 183347Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    HMG would be nice, just like in ns1.
    Maybe they will add acid rocket ability for fade
    Onos digestion skill would be cool too and ofcourse a buff for the onos so it can actually be viable again in games.
  • TharosTharos Join Date: 2012-12-18 Member: 175439Members
    I'm pretty sure only one map will be added with the content patch (UWE have limited resources).
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    edited July 2013
    @hozz: Gorge Webs - They slow marines, make them unable to attack, and really mess up jet packs. Shoot the first anchor point, then the second, to place a web.
    Kenshir0 wrote: »
    Onos digestion skill would be cool too and ofcourse a buff for the onos so it can actually be viable again in games.
    HMG is a good possibility. Acid rocket doesn't seem to fit in anywhere since fades already have a tier 3 ability (vortex). Fades are already powerful and I don't think they need a ranged attack. Devour is already in the combat mod and it's fine there since marines respawn with their weapons/JPs. I think devour would be devastating in vanilla and it wouldn't be fun to play against. I'd like to see a new ability like bone shield to experiment with instead.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    edited July 2013
    I still want the ability to eject/exit and re-enter exos. Every time I enter one I can't help but notice that emergency hatch release button. As long as the exo was tied to the buyer until death there would be no issues in others stealing it.

Lerks picking up Gorges would also be pretty good. I can't but feel bad when marines rush and we all have to get out of there but the Gorge just gets stomped. Though the Gorge should consent to being picked up and choose when to be dropped or risk having rights violated as a troll lerk could pick one up and drop it in the middle of marines or die through natural causes like being dropped off of crevice.

I also thought welding doors/vents seemed interesting but Idk how annoying it might play out in game. Maybe just welding doors closed but not so much vents. Though welding doors closed might allow for trolls to weld everything closed.
  • Zomb3hZomb3h Join Date: 2011-01-27 Member: 79241Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I still want the ability to eject/exit and re-enter exos. Every time I enter one I can't help but notice that emergency hatch release button. As long as the exo was tied to the buyer until death there would be no issues in others stealing it.
    There still needs to be a downside to having an entire team full of Exos. Not being able to get out and build a base is a rather fitting one.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    edited July 2013
    Zomb3h wrote: »
    There still needs to be a downside to having an entire team full of Exos. Not being able to get out and build a base is a rather fitting one.

I just thought it would be fun. I guess they could leave him/her pistol/axe only. Allow the unmanned exo to take more damage by alien attacks. Make the exo take a few seconds to power down and power up where it is vulnerable. Other downsides could be thought up as well.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited July 2013
    I think there is gonna be different types of hand grenades too. On a side note, maybe linux dedicated server will also come with the linux client? :P Here's to hoping...
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Zomb3h wrote: »

I just thought it would be fun. I guess they could leave him/her pistol/axe only. Allow the unmanned exo to take more damage by alien attacks. Make the exo take a few seconds to power down and power up where it is vulnerable. Other downsides could be thought up as well.

So if the comm is left and one or more exos are left just say... well you shouldn't have gotten so many exos? that's dumb. Make the exit and entry have a cast time. 3 seconds to get out, 7 to get in? No movement or use of the exo until the marine is all the way in. allow the marine to cancel getting in and defend him/herself and then try to get in again.

Any exo that is exited can bet entered by someone else.
  • RockyMarcRockyMarc Join Date: 2009-11-24 Member: 69519Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    wishlist: server performance
  • DraptorDraptor Join Date: 2013-03-05 Member: 183721Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    Any exo that is exited can bet entered by someone else.

As long as I can give another player all my pres for an Onos.
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I hope for some Discovery props to sneak in. Whether its in Biodome or the editor.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Karnaj wrote: »
    @hozz: Gorge Webs - They slow marines, make them unable to attack, and really mess up jet packs. Shoot the first anchor point, then the second, to place a web.
    Kenshir0 wrote: »
    HMG is a good possibility. Acid rocket doesn't seem to fit in anywhere since fades already have a tier 3 ability (vortex). Fades are already powerful and I don't think they need a ranged attack. Devour is already in the combat mod and it's fine there since marines respawn with their weapons/JPs. I think devour would be devastating in vanilla and it wouldn't be fun to play against. I'd like to see a new ability like bone shield to experiment with instead.

There's no more Vanilla NS2, unless you're talking about the 249 mods.

It's been deemed Chocolate NS2.
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I hope for some Discovery props to sneak in. Whether its in Biodome or the editor.
    So you may use them in a map, only fo them to disappear again in a future non-content patch, just like the biodome props and textures we had before? :p Apply them carefully!
  • killer monkeykiller monkey Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70743Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    So you may use them in a map, only fo them to disappear again in a future non-content patch, just like the biodome props and textures we had before? :p Apply them carefully!

There's actually already a few in there already marked as refinery props
    :p
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    From the Sewlek's Beta Tes Mod thread:
    Sewlek wrote: »
    im thinking in quite a similar direction, but chances are high that we have art for another weapon ready for the content patch, which could be a stronger alternative to the shotgun, with some downsides. recently, the flamethrower was kinda taking that role, but naturally a flamethrower requires less aim / skill so making that weapon deal too much damage is a very bad idea :). so, a heavier weapon (reduced move speed), with higher spread + dmg could fit in. the aliens get also a bunch of new stuff, so its quite difficult to figure out if that weapon would be needed. we will maybe release some of the features to the beta mod, but I CAN NOT promise that though
    Vague, but relevant. ;)
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    heh, its really a big maybe atm, but i didnt forget the benefits the balance mod brought :)
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I think babblers need some help in the game. Perhaps each one of them could have six little friends that would be really microscopic, could not attack, but could scurry around beeping in pitched voices, really distracting the enemies. They could also show emotions by changing colours, certainly an under-appreciated effect because it would be so tiny.
    High-pitched voices with over the top cockney accents. "Cor blimey, guv, where we going?" and such, eventually driving the babbler insane just before he explodes. Then the Babbler friends all gather and sing Chim Chimney from Mary Poppins, and if they manage to complete he song, aliens win.

I say this is definitely going in the content update.
  • DeskLampDeskLamp Australia Join Date: 2013-02-03 Member: 182783Members
    Babblers singing chin chimney while they follow would be the best thing ever
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    In this thread: how to make your Alien comm go Shade Hive first (for silence upgrade, because that works for Babblers too) :P