Show player names on the minimap

aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
edited July 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
Simple change, show player names on the minimap above their icon. Makes it much easier to coordinate with specific players instead of calling out "skulk in stability" come to bar, and the guy doesn't know that he's specifically being referenced. Not sure why this isn't in the game for both sides.

Comments

• AlkixAlkix Join Date: 2013-07-10 Member: 186046Members
    Interesting Idea. I'd like to see how it would look. I'd imagine that getting the right balance between allowing the name to be visible and not cluttering up the view could be tough to achieve.
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    As long as it doesn't look confusing and blocks stuff on the minimap, it could work.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    You could have every player a different color on your team and then somewhere off to the side a legend/key that shows who the people are.
  • RoflcopterV22RoflcopterV22 Arizona Join Date: 2013-04-03 Member: 184616Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    This sounds like it would work with smaller games, but I can't imagine this being feasible on a 24 slot server, not even mentioning the ones above that.

Though maybe just steam friends in the same game, or a 3-5 character nickname a player can designate for themselves?
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    This sounds like it would work with smaller games, but I can't imagine this being feasible on a 24 slot server, not even mentioning the ones above that.

Though maybe just steam friends in the same game, or a 3-5 character nickname a player can designate for themselves?

Great idea! Maybe you could have it such that only some friends you choose show up.
  • zenefzenef Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183762Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    Add a new button next to mute button on scoreboard. When enabled you can see that players name on the minimap above his icon. That way you could select all, none or only your friend/friends on the same server.

• LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

I'd think it's mostly for competitive.
  • DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    I also like to see players names when they are on screen attacking me or i'm attacking them as i very rarely know who i'm killing, lol
  • DraptorDraptor Join Date: 2013-03-05 Member: 183721Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Easiest way to implement without blocking the map would have player's names shown on the top/bottom/left/right (Whichever side their closest to) of the map and a small line drawn from the name to their icon.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    DarkflameQ wrote: »
    I also like to see players names when they are on screen attacking me or i'm attacking them as i very rarely know who i'm killing, lol

It shows when you're aimed at them :p
  • NthaoNthao Join Date: 2013-07-22 Member: 186278Members
    I think that names on the map hud for foot-soldiers is unnecessary since you should always be referencing people by their location not by their ID. Only reason to call out names is if it's in the beginning and some people need to stay behind to build.
  • JCDentonJCDenton Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183768Members
    Nthao wrote: »
    I think that names on the map hud for foot-soldiers is unnecessary since you should always be referencing people by their location not by their ID. Only reason to call out names is if it's in the beginning and some people need to stay behind to build.
    It just can make voice chat kind of inconvenient, especially if it is somewhere that isn't really a focus, like Junction, and even the name of the area they are in isn't exactly clear.
    "Can the guy in uhh, junction, head up to generator and try and start killing some of their eggs"
    It works, but names could make it roll off the tongue more easily.
    Except if people have difficult to pronounce names
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    If they bring back the squad/pack functionality (and made it more obvious than it was for the actual players) it could be individual players, then, if they get close enough, the name/color of the squad/pack
    (pack being the alien variant - why wouldn't they have one? :/)
    But then it would have to be obvious if you're in a squad or not. maybe show up in the bottom right above the armor/health values, that way people WILL see it, being close to something they observe 24/7 whether they are good or not.
  • stibaerstibaer Join Date: 2013-07-25 Member: 186398Members
    Great idea! Maybe you could have it such that only some friends you choose show up.

I would love if friends would be shown in a different color to the rest so you can paly better together as a squad.

Most amazing it would be if friends are always automatically put into one squad and given a certain color and the commander can put other players together into certain squads so people get motivated to paly more in little groups and the commanders gets an easier time coordinating his troups.