Version 251

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2013
    PaLaGi wrote: »
    NO CHANGELOG? ABANDON SHIP!

Give it a minute, folks. They're just double checking the changelog. ;)

*Previous post snipped*
    You got that turned around me thinks ;)
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nice little "marching ant" dashed lines for rally points. (Infantry Portal, Robotics Factory. Hive) Right-click to set a way point if you didn't already know this...
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    The teeth on a skulk tilts to the left/right when on a wall, nice touch :)
    Alien commander: There is a new red glowing effect that shows a commander where the cyst chain is broken. You can see this when attempting to place the structure in a "disconnected" area
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts

Expect that it's idiotic that you even have to make a post like this in the first place.
    Or just, you know.. reasonable?
    Go watch mow the lawn or something Mr instant gratification :-B
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    edited July 2013
    286 MB means there are map changes. Hopefully Docking has some fixes (left Generator entrance *cough cough*).

Also, I'm betting 10 babblers on a hotfix in the next few days, who is with me?
  • SjNSjN Join Date: 2003-01-07 Member: 11983Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    The only change that I noticed is that my game won't start. Tried deleting the cache and workshop but I still get a black screen.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Or there are engine changes.
  • PhoenixonPhoenixon Join Date: 2013-07-24 Member: 186369Members
    edited July 2013
    Alien Commander changes noticed so far:

Drifters are no longer yellow, but Orange on the minimap for hard to spot fun. (Other players have reported that this is not the case. Not sure why it happens to me. No mods.)
    Cysts can no longer start to "grow" unless it's connected to a fully grown cyst directly. Not even the help of a drifter can change this. (slowing the aliens down)

Comments:
    This new cyst rule makes the new marine tactic "kill cysts and all else will fall". I think it was a good idea to slow down aliens, but this makes it insanely easy to sabotage entire bases the aliens can build. It takes so long to "re-cyst" something that by the time you can do it (after the intruding marine has been dealt with) it's already too late to save any structure.
  • WalsaWalsa Join Date: 2011-06-28 Member: 106813Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    What I don't understand is why UWE doesn't post the changelog first and then push the update through Steam.

Just add the this as the last line "we are uploading the update to steam, wait some hours until it propagates" or something like that.

They will spare a lot of negative feedback in the forums, specially because it happens in almost every update.

Also, I can't wait to test the new build. :)

• KuddlyKalliKuddlyKalli Yuggera Country Join Date: 2010-12-23 Member: 75905Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Phoenixon wrote: »

Drifters are no longer yellow, but Orange on the minimap for hard to spot fun.
    Drifters can no longer build cysts. (slowing the aliens down)
    Cysts can no longer start to "grow" unless it's connected to a fully grown cyst directly. (slowing the aliens down)

Comments:
    This new cyst rule makes the new marine tactic "kill cysts and all else will fall". I think it was a good idea to slow down aliens, but this makes it insanely easy to sabotage entire bases the aliens can build.

These changes had to be made to balance out the new Chain Cystem™. Otherwise you could have the whole map turned green within 30 seconds. :))
  • PaLaGiPaLaGi Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63331Members, Constellation
    IronHorse wrote: »

Expect that it's idiotic that you even have to make a post like this in the first place.
    Or just, you know.. reasonable?
    Go watch mow the lawn or something Mr instant gratification :-B

You guys are funny. I launch NS2 only to find out my files differ from every server I try to join. Umm OK. So I come here only to see lots of other people are saying there is an update and are very confused about what has changed and what is new. We wonder where a post is, where a changelog is, all normal responses.

And yet I am accused for not being patient enough? I am not looking for instant gratification, I am looking for a semblence of PROFESSIONALISM and proper IMPLEMENTATION from a business to its users. Is that so hard to understand?

These changes had to be made to balance out the new Chain Cystem™. Otherwise you could have the whole map turned green within 30 seconds. :))

I didn't notice any chain system, but I "did" notice that cysts could be placed outside of "cyst range" but this immediately destroyed the placed cyst... no auto-chain was established. Played 2 games so far.

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2013

Cysts can no longer start to "grow" unless it's connected to a fully grown cyst directly. Not even the help of a drifter can change this. (slowing the aliens down)

Comments:
    This new cyst rule makes the new marine tactic "kill cysts and all else will fall". I think it was a good idea to slow down aliens, but this makes it insanely easy to sabotage entire bases the aliens can build. It takes so long to "re-cyst" something that by the time you can do it (after the intruding marine has been dealt with) it's already too late to save any structure.

My drifters still can build cysts (also just the last cyst) and are yellow at the map.

edited July 2013

My drifters still can build cysts and are yellow at the map.

Updated my post after figuring out why.

You get yellow drifters? Lucky sod... mine are all orange like everything else... weird. No mods.
  • WakelaggerWakelagger Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 170906Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter

Comments:

A lot of what is said here is wrong. Cysts always needed to be connected to grow and Drifters are still yellow on the minimap. I see you corrected the other point by removing it.
    Wakelagger wrote: »

A lot of what is said here is wrong. Cysts always needed to be connected to grow and Drifters are still yellow on the minimap. I see you corrected the other point by removing it.

No sir, I moved it down to the second change i noticed. My drifter couldn't build a cyst until the cyst growth had caught up to that point.

In the past I could cyst a long path and then have a drifter at the far end of it to grow the "last" cyst rapidly for instant construction.

• WakelaggerWakelagger Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 170906Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited July 2013
    Wakelagger wrote: »

No sir, I moved it down to the second change i noticed. My drifter couldn't build a cyst until the cyst growth had caught up to that point.

In the past I could cyst a long path and then have a drifter at the far end of it to grow the "last" cyst rapidly for instant construction.

You may be correct on that point, as I have never tried skipping to a later cyst in the chain with the drifter. The orange drifter thing may be a bug.

Edit:
    The change log does indeed say drifters cant build cysts anymore. You can still get drifters to do the build animation. Not sure if its a bug, or if they meant drifters don't auto-build cysts anymore.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2013
    I am not looking for instant gratification, I am looking for a semblence of PROFESSIONALISM and proper IMPLEMENTATION from a business to its users. Is that so hard to understand?
    Brreeeeaaatthheee.. *pats calmy*

Its almost been 2 hours.. while i'm sure you're refreshing the page, ready to intravenously pump some NS2 info.. it was more important to get the patch out right away for certain reasons.
    I promise Hugh is working on it now and it will be coming soon - hopefully this doesn't stop you from getting in the game and enjoying it until then? Because that would just be horribly disruptive to your fix day, i'm sure. :D

edit: lol.. changelog posted 5 minutes before this post.

I am still very concerned about this to be honest. Yes, it makes alien com a bit "easier", or rather, it removes some of the hassle, but this makes it Extremely effective for marines to just attack cysts. If 1 marine dies after killing 3 cysts, whatever structures those cysts were keeping alive are doomed to death before the re-cysting will grow. (As it must do for the last cyst in the chain to start developing.)

I see a massive balance problem with that, but it's too early to cry wolf :)
    @phoenixon if i'm understanding you correctly, its been like this since 250 and we haven't seen an issue with it other than slightly damaged Harvesters when reacting slowly?
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members
    One annoying thing so far, you have to wait for a cyst chain to finish before you can branch off of that chain.
    edited July 2013
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @phoenixon if i'm understanding you correctly, its been like this since 250 and we haven't seen an issue with it other than slightly damaged Harvesters when reacting slowly?

I started playing in 250 and it was not like this :)

The problem is tied to the last cyst in a chain not starting to grow until the previous cyst is "fully grown". And since a drifter can't build it either this means that the buildings that you are trying to save will have a very high chance of being destroyed by the time the last cyst you placed will even start growing.

Not sure how else to explain it.

Say for instance you have 5 cysts connected to 1 RT and 1 Crag. A marine rushes in, kills the 3 closest cysts before someone is able to deal with him. You now have to re-cyst 3 cysts, but the "life-saving" third cyst will not start to grow (and generate creep) until the last 2 have grown incrementally. This takes too long, and with no drifter help, there is no way to speed this process up and the buildings will most likely die by then.

A possible fix is to allow drifters a 3 T-RES "creep spray" to keep the buildings alive until help can arrive.......

and as I'm writing this I see how massively OP that would be. Sneak 3 drifters into marine main base and cover his base in goo. :D
  • NailoNailo Join Date: 2013-05-06 Member: 185138Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    As Aichman says. Marines with Grenades right now are crazy because the gernades never ever stop exploding ^_^ that really needs fixed. I'm honestly surprised ironhorse didn't find this bug when playtesting
    @phoenixon
    Build 250 changelog : "Cysts will autobuild once their parent is contructed"
  • SUPER_SARSSUPER_SARS Join Date: 2013-02-13 Member: 183039Members
    Wait, is that recoil with the shotty??
  • Qwurty2.0Qwurty2.0 Join Date: 2013-01-04 Member: 177431Members
    I started playing in 250 and it was not like this :)

The problem is tied to the last cyst in a chain not starting to grow until the previous cyst is "fully grown". And since a drifter can't build it either this means that the buildings that you are trying to save will have a very high chance of being destroyed by the time the last cyst you placed will even start growing.

Not sure how else to explain it.

Say for instance you have 5 cysts connected to 1 RT and 1 Crag. A marine rushes in, kills the 3 closest cysts before someone is able to deal with him. You now have to re-cyst 3 cysts, but the "life-saving" third cyst will not start to grow (and generate creep) until the last 2 have grown incrementally. This takes too long, and with no drifter help, there is no way to speed this process up and the buildings will most likely die by then.

A possible fix is to allow drifters a 3 T-RES "creep spray" to keep the buildings alive until help can arrive.......

and as I'm writing this I see how massively OP that would be. Sneak 3 drifters into marine main base and cover his base in goo. :D

That's how it was in 250, if I understand you correctly.
    edited July 2013
    @IronHorse NOT the last cyst in a long line of cysts.... it won't. Trust me. Play a game with this patch and try it out for yourself. :)

A cyst will only grow once the closest "parent" IS fully grown. That means that only 1 cyst can grow at a time in the chain. This makes the last cyst the last to have the chance to grow. it is usually this last cyst that is providing vital creep for buildings.
    edited July 2013
    I don't need any change vids. I would like if you could realease updates with a quick update-news at steam (only with changelog). I only created this thread because i thought mayby some of the playtesters can tell me what's new in this version. Really like the changes made with 251

This discussion has been closed.