Camo acting strange now?

joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
Has anyone else noticed camo is buggy / strange now? Here are some things I've noticed:

1.) As a marine, sometimes aliens are totally invisible and appear out of thin air - other times they give off an obvious shimmer even when standing still. Why so seemingly inconsistent?

2.) As a marine, I have had a few occasions watching a skulk running and jumping around and his body is phasing in and out of cloaking while he is moving at a very fast speed. I would say he stays about 75% cloaked while running around, making it difficult to track in darker rooms. Is this a bug / exploit?

3.) As marine, I have watched aliens try to run away and cloak around the corner - sometimes when they do this, the cloak takes a second to kick in once they stop moving - making it easy to spot them when I chase them. Other times, I have noticed they are instantly fully cloaked as soon as they stop moving, sometimes the camo even seems to be starting to take affect before they even come to a stop, and again I'm not talking about shift walking, this is an alien bouncing off walls trying to escape, so he's moving fast and then in a millisecond hes totally invisible.

4.) As alien, it seems inconsistent. Sometimes it seems like no matter how well I position myself, even with 3 veils and waiting a solid 5 seconds without moving, some marines still spot me instantly without a scan / obs nearby. It does seem to happen more in well lit rooms but it happens in dark rooms as well. I realize marines check corners but if I am fully cloaked and not moving he shouldn't see anything when he looks there.

I'm just noticing all this stuff since the recent changes to cloaking - before this I thought it worked pretty well, and it was very predictable. Now I feel like I never know what to expect as a marine or an alien. As marine, I can't trust that I will see a shimmer. As an alien, I can't ever trust that my camo is working properly.

Comments

• KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I came across someone the other day saying if they modify their graphics settings (shadows maybe), they can easily see cloaked players and structures.

Haven't actually tested this myself.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    If any in-game settings are giving an advantage that need be changed.
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    Doesn't seeing enemy player names still show up even when an alien is cloaked if you aim at it?
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Bicsum wrote: »
    He jumped off the wall and suddenly disappeared. I was high when it happened, so I didn't give it much attention and figured it was time to sleep.

hahah Gold!
  • Kenshir0Kenshir0 Join Date: 2013-02-25 Member: 183347Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    probably has something todo with the number of veils that are up
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    If you have taken damage it takes a long time to cloak again but if you slip away from marines without getting shot you can basically cloak instantly

I think the number of veils just effects how long it takes to cloak once you stop moving

Likely the ability will need a few more tweaks, but I think it's probably just about where the Devs want it
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Camo is where devs want it because you can go aura instead. I'm not hating, it's brilliant. But camo is pretty poopy still.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Phantom is a great ability because it gives you full cloaking at 1 veil, making it easily the most useful chamber in the "very" early game. Then by the time lerks go up with upgrade res, they'll probably have level 2 aura at least.

If anything I'd say phantom needs a 1-veil related nerf.
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    Anything less than 100% cloak is waste and can be seen. Just a shame that they removed the cloak mindgames from the game.
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    edited July 2013
    I was under the impression that you are never 100% cloaked... However in combat (I only use phantom in combat because I already have aura). I can hid one the floor of rine start and 10 people will walk right by me...

Aura>phantom.... Knowing where, how many and the health of all imidaiate threats is way OP... With aura you can hide in a vent where the marine physically can not see you and time attacks perfectly... Knowing who the week rines are means that you can reduce the numbers you face when they react (if you target the low health guys you can reduce the number of bullets flying in your direction)

In combat the combo of aura/phantom is unstoppable running around the map until you find a group of rines, hide in their path, wait for the last guy pick him off the run away and hide, rines give chase give up when they don't see you and move on, then pick off the last guy again and repeat... Went 42-4 as a skulk aginst 4 rines when I had two AFK and a green when they got scan and enough armor I went fade...
  • ChrisAUSChrisAUS Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172108Members
    I am also perplexed by how phantom works currently to be honest. Just like you I have seen skulks going from 100% visibility to ~20% visibility while they are obviously on the move (wall jumping etc, not shift-walking). It also seems like level 1 phantom will give ~100% invisibility while stationary, yet while moving you still make audible sounds. Couple that with the sound issues then you may as well not use phantom until level 3 complete silence since when you are wall jumping you hardly make much sound anyway (some of the time?)

I don't know if it's actually working as intended but as a skulk you are basically trying to limit the backing light source (think Arnie from predator, when he uses mud to cover his heat signature, but in this case you don't want to be in front of a light source). Here are a few screen shots of mine you can check out to see what I mean:

1) http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/615022620913995798/68F4EA3D2F71CC5C3D7D9C38D788C64FB74C28E4/

2) http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/615022620914007984/69788739264B2C8832F80D96F2041F29AE8F8C56/

3) http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/615022620914302262/F21023B82A4FED1E3AE8B8CA0B1889FF3B55554C/

4) http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/615022620914316975/F1349583C137BB227314047FBC5BA9CEABD68A85/

There is a skulk in every one of these screenshots, yet only 1 is easily visible. Not 100% sure about in-game settings that may make phantom skulks easier to see, and I also think that skulks who are stationary but looking around with mouse movement are easier to spot.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Well I can explain #2 and #3. #2 is caused by cloak activating mid jump (when you are in the air and not accelerating I suppose). And #3 by the fact that attacking (and maybe getting shot) triggers a cooldown on cloak that prevents it from activating for a brief time (maybe 5 sec or so), if you had not attacked you cloak immediately after stopping.
  • NthaoNthao Join Date: 2013-07-22 Member: 186278Members
    joshhh wrote: »
    If you need to be 100% cloaked to get frags, your doing it wrong. I think a lot of people dislike phantom because of the cloaking affect but the real benefit of upgraded phantom is the silence. I could care less about being invis if I can move around the map without making noise.

This ^^^^, I never really even used Camo back in it's 100% form. The best thing about phantom is exactly what this guys says, not being heard so that you can get to places quickly without receiving 10 bullets to the noggin. I don't consider Aura bad at all, like the other guy says, you can pick off marines and know exactly when you should do it. I think listing good points is what people should focus on rather then pitting the faults.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I always take Camo as a skulk for the silence, it's very powerful. Not only you easily get the first bite quite often, but in a short time, you will make marines paranoid, checking their six and corners more, slowing their progress.
  • FrankerZFrankerZ Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151627Members
    even when a skulk is at its most cloakable, you cna still distinguish him
    Disagree with you @FrankerZ
    If you can point out where the skulk is in the first three screenshots of my previous post I will be impressed.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Something is messed with your game. There has not been an invis skulk I could not see since the camo change went through. Maybe you found a bug! :P
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    Something is messed with your game. There has not been an invis skulk I could not see since the camo change went through. Maybe you found a bug! :P

I am starting to suspect different users with varying graphics settings are somehow influencing the perceived camo effects. This would explain why some people seem to have no problem spotting a camo alien, while others are reporting 100% invisibility from alien attackers. I personally have seen skulks appear completely out of thin air right at my feet, no warning or shimmer or anything. This is in well lit rooms where I am actively searching for cloaked skulks.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    That could easily be the case joe.
    edited July 2013
    If that is the case it is very annoying. :P
    • V-Sync - OFF
    • Texture Quality - LOW
    • Particle Quality - LOW
    • AA - OFF
    • Bloom - OFF
    • Atmospherics - OFF
    • Antisotrophic Filtering - OFF
    • Ambient Occlusion - OFF
    • Reflections - OFF
    • Shadows - OFF
    It could easily be one of those.
    @joshhh : I take it you see most skulks like the 4th pick I posted? Also if you look at the first picture, slightly left of the yellow barrel there is the wall texture, but it has a slight curve in it? That is where the skulk is. But in the 2nd picture the skulk has not moved yet the wall texture is normal. Weird. Unsure if intentional?
    My settings are all the same aside from Texture quality High and Particle quality High. O_O

And yes, I see them like the last picture. Ya the first through the third pics are virtually invis. That would suck :(
    edited July 2013
    ChrisAUS wrote: »
    If that is the case it is very annoying. :P
    • V-Sync - OFF
    • Texture Quality - LOW
    • Particle Quality - LOW
    • AA - OFF
    • Bloom - OFF
    • Atmospherics - OFF
    • Antisotrophic Filtering - OFF
    • Reflections - OFF
    • Shadows - OFF
    It could easily be one of those.
    @joshhh : I take it you see most skulks like the 4th pick I posted? Also if you look at the first picture, slightly left of the yellow barrel there is the wall texture, but it has a slight curve in it? That is where the skulk is. But in the 2nd picture the skulk has not moved yet the wall texture is normal. Weird. Unsure if intentional?

Here are my stats:

Computer:
    AMD FX-8320 @4.1 ghz
    8gb Gskill sniper 1600mhz
    Radeon HD 6850 1gb
    who cares about the rest honestly
    • Resolution - 1600*900 (monitor native)
    • Display mode - full screen
    • V-Sync - OFF
    • Texture Quality - High
    • Particle Quality - High
    • Decal life - default? (1/3 the way up)
    • Infestatoin - rich
    • AA - On
    • Bloom - OFF
    • Atmospherics - OFF
    • Antisotrophic Filtering - On
    • Reflections - On
    • Shadows - OFF
    • Texture streaming - off
    • Multicore rendering - on

With these settings I have an incredibly difficult time spotting camo aliens in almost all situations unless the alien is moving in my direct line of sight at just the right angle. Sometimes I can be looking right at a cloaked alien and not realize it until they bite or para.
    My settings are all the same aside from Texture quality High and Particle quality High. O_O

And yes, I see them like the last picture. Ya the first through the third pics are virtually invis. That would suck :(

Can you provide your PC stats / game settings so I can try to find what might be causing such a stark difference?
    edited July 2013
    Computer:
    Intel i7 990x @4.6 ghz
    12gb Corsair (something) 1600mhz
    2x Nvidia GTX 580s SLI
    Asus 144hz 27in monitor

Resolution - 1600*900 (yes I play on a lower res)
    Display mode - full screen
    V-Sync - OFF
    Texture Quality - High
    Particle Quality - High
    Decal life - default? (1/3 the way up)
    Infestatoin - minimal
    AA - OFF
    Bloom - OFF
    Atmospherics - OFF
    Antisotrophic Filtering - OFF
    Ambient Occlusion - OFF
    Reflections - OFF
    Shadows - OFF
    Texture streaming - OFF
    Multicore rendering - ON

I switched to high texture and particle quality, and my screen res was already the same as both of you guys. It's weird as hell since I am still seeing (or not-seeing) skulks 100% invisible.

Even when I know skulks are in the next room, and crouch walk in with no flashlight, checking everywhere...I just get suprised from behind.

I've posted before that I think making phantom incorporate 'old 100% camo'/silence broke pubs, but if it's a bug or a work in progress or a simple fix it would be good to know about it. I've stopped scrimming since the BT mod cup so can't really comment on organised play.

It's very very frustrating because to me one of the bigger advantages a marine has is positioning and movement. (My aim isn't great either so I rely on this a bit). Having a silent/100% camoed skulk sitting around where I can't see it, but other people can is annoying.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think it has a lot to do with what texture is behind you. I was having a really hard time spotting skulks, so we tested it out and took some screenshots.. the crosshair is on the skulk in all of these pictures.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/578996305567030850/869AA7A2AA112650187A4A1B9989ADC22F40C267/
    http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/578996305566628094/BE627A53AE6018AD903CCF8E7522E555D0B284D4/
    http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/578996305567027733/70B4DE1E5DABA115B3F3D4A254347ABD2A917ECA/
  • kk20kk20 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164592Members
    edited August 2013
    Ive never seen a cloaked stationary skulk. Moving yes, cloaking yes. I use full everything except aa and AO (both off). 1920x res.

In the above i guess i would the distortion on spot 3 if i was moving but probably not if i was stationary.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    It also matters if you're in light or not.
    If theres light pointing directly at you, you're most likely to be shimmering, if you're in a dark spot, you're good as 100% Invis.
    Flashlight ftw.