Backstab = instant death

FalrinthFalrinth Join Date: 2013-06-28 Member: 185756Members
edited June 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
Implementing backstab mechanic will make the gameplay so much more tactical. It will also add depth of a stealthy melee aliens creeping above their targets waiting for best opportunity to strike. Right now succesfull ambush means only that you succesfully land 1 of 3 attacks needed for kill. And before you land 2 more hardcore marine can bunnyhop out of your strikes and kill you. Isnt it a bit lacking? I personally would love to see aliens get some bigger adventage for succesfull ambushes. This way marines will also get more depth of gameplay by adding some thrill and need of carefull team tactics and area scanning, insetad of wild bunnyhoping and flying around like insects.

Even very old shooter i enjoyed like millenia ago "Enemy Territory" had backstab mechanic. I dont understund why it cant be done in this game too.

Basically idea is to make marines fear of aliens braking their lines and ambushing from any side but frontal.

Comments

• kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    So basically easymode?
  • FalrinthFalrinth Join Date: 2013-06-28 Member: 185756Members
    no basically assymetric fps... Right now you have easy mode: marines team that have always 90% of people waiting for free slot in there. Aliens are just marines with melee range and lower dmg right now. Absolutely wasted potential of a game it could be.
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited June 2013
    para+2bites is a sure kill when you get the jump on marine, he can't dodge to right direction in time, Once the marines get the a1 then you have to outplay the marine. 1 skulk vs 1 marine is in skulks favour untill a1, after that you need 2 skulks. Imo that's more deep than some backstab i win stuff. Iit plays a part in the big picture how the strategy side of the game is played, which upgrade to get and when.
    edited June 2013
    You are talking about e-sport, im talking about entertainment. Maybe i went the wrong way when i decided to buy this game, cause for me it looked like a fun game insetad of another e-sport balanced games.
  • sHawke_NativesHawke_Native Join Date: 2012-12-20 Member: 175650Members
    Falrinth wrote: »
    You are talking about e-sport, im talking about entertainment. Maybe i went the wrong way when i decided to buy this game, cause for me it looked like a fun game insetad of another e-sport balanced games.

imagine of your a marine, a skulk got the drop on you and you are dead,unfair right because aliens can get camo and silence, so no marine is safe, an A3 marine gets killed by a skulk instantly, it'd make people leave the game. this is not a common FPS,if you dont already know that. it'll encourage solo skulks which is not the aim of the game, its a TEAM game, anv a SKILL based game, the backstab will remove a way to get experience on the game etc etc. also whats an e-sport? like fantasy football?
    edited June 2013
    That will only encourage marines to stay in groups and move as a unit. And afaik from playing game 2 days even stealthed skulks can be spotted while standing still (the predator like visual effect). The mad jetpack flying roflchopters of spinning flamethrower is just poor design...
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited June 2013
    Right now you have easy mode: marines team that have always 90% of people waiting for free slot in there.

And this definitely has nothing to do with the fact that the game is flooded with rookies from the Steam Sale right now who tend to flock to the faction with the gameplay mechanics that they are already familiar with… :-$
    This is not the first Steam Sale. It's basically the third time we see this pattern. Been there, done that. Things will normalize in a week or two once more players got some practice with alien play. You can't make any serious observations about balance and gameplay right now.

Cloaked aliens are only spotted if they move (this includes looking around, because it will change the orientation of your semi-cloaked model and thus makes it easier for marines to notice the movement) and if the marines are aware that a cloaked alien is probably around in that room from a previous encounter or a noise.
    They used to be fully invisible in the past and it was quite a broken mechanic where you could just get into melee range of a marine by sitting somewhere - in melee range do aliens have the advantage and fights are basically decided by how many bullets a marine was able to get into that alien before it got into range.
    Besides that Phantom is the recent merge of the previously separated traits Silence and Phantom, so it's already a straight upgrade compared to past stealth mechanics. You actually pick it for the Silence effect. The Camouflage is just an added situational bonus.

You seem to lack any understanding of good game design if you think that 1-hit kills are a fun gameplay element for both sides. Especially if you spent a lot of time waiting for the resources to get your new equipment together. Besides that it's pretty easy to get into the back of a marine in a fight by jumping around, even after he spotted you.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Bad idea. Makes evry alien other than gorge and onos OP.
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    This is a terrible idea considering a skulk sneaking up behind a marine already is able to kill so quickly.. 3 bites or 2 + para takes no time at all. And you want it to be faster? Install kill? Its insane man. Plus when you account for the lag and this games poor interp this mechanic would just confuse and annoy everyone.
  • AydinAydin Join Date: 2013-07-04 Member: 185927Members
    How about having the right click melee bash disorientating smaller life forms? Like your screen goes a bit awkward after getting hit for a second or two. People rarely use mouse 2 anyway.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Skulk backstab = terrible idea.
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    why not just keep playing tf2.
  • AlkixAlkix Join Date: 2013-07-10 Member: 186046Members
    The way you describe wanting an advantage for sneaking up from behind already exists. It allows you to close the gap, which is the best thing you can do to kill a marine.

Now, your suggestion could be interesting if expanded on. Try this...

Give skulks an upgrade that allow them to stalk marines. The longer a skulk looks at a marine it gets a bonus damage multiplier, which is destroyed as soon as the marine looks at the skulk. It would take some work and some fleshing out of details, but I think it would be a lot more interesting and satisfying on both sides than just an instant kill from a back attack.
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    You are talking about e-sport, im talking about entertainment.
    Implying that a 100% chance 1 hit kill is entertainment & balanced.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    This isn't a LAN. Latency(both players!) and interp means that you can just go around stabbing people in the back who think they are facing directly at you.

If you don't allow this, there's no way for the player performing the backstab to tell if it will connect.
  • DarkflameQDarkflameQ Join Date: 2013-02-28 Member: 183451Members
    edited July 2013
    NS2 is not COD and thank god for that!

One hit kills is not fun for the people dying and for the most part not skilled.

I hate COD games because of instant kill knifes and other bullshit because it takes skill out of gaming and encourages people to be lazy and not learn to be a skilled player.

To the author of this topic, you sound like one of the new breed of FPS gamers in which COD or COD cloned games have influenced your game play style.

I urge you to use NS2 as a new platform to learn how to enjoyed a more skilled form of combat.

That being said even with the latest build fades and lurks are still over powered, fade can still kill in 2 quick swipes and lurk can kill in one bite if he bites a marines face.

One hit kills over and over again from an enemy is how i know when someone is cheating as the odds of getting the marine face every time is very low.
  • ZinkeyZinkey Join Date: 2013-06-25 Member: 185694Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited July 2013
    DarkflameQ wrote: »
    That being said even with the latest build fades and lurks are still over powered, fade can still kill in 2 quick swipes and lurk can kill in one bite if he bites a marines face.

One hit kills over and over again from an enemy is how i know when someone is cheating as the odds of getting the marine face every time is very low.

On what are you basing this claim? O.o ... I was under the impression there was no change in damage done to a target based on where you hit/bite them.

Also on topic backstab mechanics are terrible, due to latency issues its never a very smooth thing to implement and more often than not it leaves people feeling frustrated by what seems to them to be a facestab.

Its still very much possible to handle a marine quickly and cleanly before they have a chance to respond, it just takes a bit more skill than waiting until you are behind them, which is exactly how it should be.

• joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    NS2 has no headshot crit damage so wtf.jpg? Its all the same.

And fades cant 2 swipe anymore. Fade swipes per armor are A0=3 swipes, A1=3 swipes, A2=4, A3=4.
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    DarkflameQ wrote: »

Dude did you just make that stuff up right as you posted? LOL that is total BS first of all, and I love that you state that this is how you KNOW someone is cheating? LOLOL
  • NthaoNthao Join Date: 2013-07-22 Member: 186278Members
  • freakySkulkfreakySkulk Join Date: 2013-07-31 Member: 186492Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    it become like TF 2 spy.with super speed , no thx
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
    This isn't a LAN. Latency(both players!) and interp means that you can just go around stabbing people in the back who think they are facing directly at you.

If you don't allow this, there's no way for the player performing the backstab to tell if it will connect.

Thank you, saved me the time typing this.

• McBernsMcBerns Join Date: 2013-08-04 Member: 186563Members
    Makes aliens OP. Bad idea.
  • Enhance89Enhance89 Join Date: 2009-11-04 Member: 69261Members
    Very bad idea, any way you slice it. The game would devolve into cloaking and backstabbing marines into oblivion. It would send the game's balance completely out of whack and ruin the game.

NS2 is not like any other FPS. It's not two equal groups with similar abilities facing off - it's two completely different entities doing battle, and mechanics that work in other shooter/combat games just don't fit into NS2.