FPS drop while particle effects are on screen

SnixSnix Join Date: 2005-03-29 Member: 46916Members, Reinforced - Gold
Hey there,
I've been having this issue for a couple of weeks now.

Whenever there are a lot of "effects" on screen, i.e. infestation (rich or minimal), rail gun beams, gas and especially bilebombs, my framerate drops a little bit too much.
The game is running with 60-90 fps without any of those effects going on. For example, if I bilebomb something (and stand close to the "eplosions") the framerate drops to about 20-30 but feels like 5-10. Also, I get an annoying input-lag, similar to an enabled v-sync (it's not enabled). Also, the framerate drop is a lot more pronounced when standing close to where the bilebomb/beam/spike is at the moment.

I know that a framerate drop is expected when a lot of action is going on, but this is just a bit too much and I haven't experienced it in the builds up to 247.

I already tried the last three driver revisions + beta drivers.
In-game options should be fine, I can post them if needed. The problem occurs regardless of the graphic settings (from 640*480 LOW to 1920*1080 HIGH)

If anyone has an idea, I would be really grateful.

Windows 7 Professional
AMD Phenom II X4 @ 4,00 GHz (OCed from 3,6 GHz)
Radeon HD 6870
8 GB Ram
Game installed on SSD

Comments

• IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    is that an X4 955 black edition?
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Have you tried running they profile command? Search these forums for my instructions in how to use it if not ;-)
  • SnixSnix Join Date: 2005-03-29 Member: 46916Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited July 2013
    Ironsoul wrote: »
    is that an X4 955 black edition?

It's an X4 965 Black Edition
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Have you tried running they profile command? Search these forums for my instructions in how to use it if not ;-)

Nope. I'll run it next time I play and post screenshots.

Thanks so far

Edit: I guess you were referring to this post: forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2074238/#Comment_2074238

There were about two or three spikes maybe, didn't do a screenshot though.
    FPS drop still there but the graph kept running on the same level all the time.

Got any idea on what I should focus or any other advice? :)

Screenshots coming soon.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Yes i am, great job searching!
    It should capture any performance related issues.. Keep an eye on the rendering thread for effects in particular
    ;-)