Keep your calm during the Steam summer sale - Players will be back (at least one will, anyways)

eliotmateliotmat Join Date: 2002-12-01 Member: 10350Members, Reinforced - Shadow
Some have pointed to the recent low player counts as evidence that NS2 is dying. My advice is to keep calm.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that has taken a break from NS2 to try out some of the multiple purchases I've made during the summer sale.

I'll be back to NS2. I'm sure others will be as well. If anything, the steam summer sale purchases I've made helped me realize how great of a game NS2 actually is.

Comments

• eliotmateliotmat Join Date: 2002-12-01 Member: 10350Members, Reinforced - Shadow
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    Keep telling yourself that........ I have played online games for many years and have seen people accuse "player decline" because of recent game(s) that have come out or gone on sale or whatever many times. Without fail, the player population never comes back to where it once was.

You do get instances where the population does rise again after an important patch, but unless that patch has the "right stuff", it will just decline again.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    The community hasn't died
    Just most of the players who are considered 'veterans' are limiting themselves to gathers/pugs/scrims etc.
    That would be at least half of the usual pub population, so in the current climate, nobodies left, just pubs are.... rarer.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I can't stand greenwaves anymore, so I will play other games for a while. You know, a few greens in a match is totally fine, but whole teams of green... I'd rather let them play by themselves, because I will be devastating for other team and will be really mad on my team. Which is not good.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Too busy not starving
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    Too busy not starving

Same, although starving is never a direct threat. You can always get food by being reckless or at the expense of sanity.
  • MMZ_TorakMMZ_Torak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3770Members
    Too busy not starving

Same, although starving is never a direct threat. You can always get food by being reckless or at the expense of sanity.

You could go Freegan... :-&
  • DraptorDraptor Join Date: 2013-03-05 Member: 183721Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    xen32 wrote: »
    I can't stand greenwaves anymore, so I will play other games for a while. You know, a few greens in a match is totally fine, but whole teams of green... I'd rather let them play by themselves, because I will be devastating for other team and will be really mad on my team. Which is not good.

I've elected to take a break from NS2 for a few days because of this. I love teaching, but someone who is responsive and asking questions is unfortunately rare. I've run into more new annoying dicks than new good folks, and I'd rather just quit the game then let myself get pissed off at someone being a prick. Teaching also gets tiring when you're doing it every single game instead of actually playing- makes it feel like work instead of fun.

Add to that how games have become more a test of who sucks less instead of who is more skilled. It generally leads to my most hated game type- the game is decided within 5-10 minutes, but the winning team isn't good enough to finish it for a good 45 minutes. And the losing team is too obsessed with the 1/10,000 underdog comeback fantasy to concede.

But I'll be playing regularly again soon, maybe after the weekend (Since everyone who bought the game will have more time to play and flood servers again)
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    It's the middle of July.. There's this yellow thing in the sky called the sun.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    But thank god some of the green rookies are veterans in playing games.
    They didnt know any fetaure of the game, no maps, they are horrible skulks, ground lerks and have zero gamesense.

But cause theyr advanced gaming skills they know one for sure:
    The one marine with 30-5 stats is a cheater.
    Or the com sux.

Its hard to calm down these days most of the time.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    dePARA wrote: »
    But cause theyr advanced gaming skills they know one for sure:
    Or the com sux.

Always blame the comm. :3
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    wiry wrote: »
    It's the middle of July.. There's this yellow thing in the sky called the sun.

Oh noooo, light, hurts, sweat, thirst, pain, burns ... back to cave back to cave quick !

• xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    wiry wrote: »
    There's this yellow thing in the sky called the sun.
    I've heard about it. They say you have to go to some 'outside' to see it. Got any more info?
    Sun will turn your junkfood into a greasy blob and make your soda taste like warm diabtic dog pee.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Make sure you put turrets on the res node in crevice.
    See, that guy above went out in the sun and his brain obviously melted down.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    MMZ_Torak wrote: »
    You could go Freegan... :-&

You can always kite some unfriendly mobs into each other and eat the resulting monster meat, but then you'll go nuts and the hallucinations will start attacking you.
  • tummy_yummytummy_yummy Join Date: 2013-05-01 Member: 185073Members, Reinforced - Gold, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited July 2013
    I'll be back too, just gotta get to the end of this damn Tomb Raider campaign...
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Dishonored is sooooo GOOD. I thought it was just another frustrating stealthy smealthy hokey-pokey, but it's oh SO utterly polished. Only thing that has irritated me so far is the COLORS they used in dark sight, now if that ain't a small grievance I don't know what is.

NS2? Yeah... Yeah, imma right there, just, just lemme... Break window, crossbolt baddie, fall down, drop-assassinate baddie #2, blink behind baddie 3#, stab him, stop time, catch bullets -wait what were you talking about? No, hold on, I gotta...
  • UrnightUrnight Join Date: 2013-07-21 Member: 186262Members
    New player here, usually on the pubs I only see 3-10 games full.
  • StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    edited July 2013
    I already beat Dishonored, so I'm back.

I'm not sure many of the rookies will even hang around. They don't even get the concept of pressing a hotkey to view the map, nevermind attacking a PG before an Armory, no matter how often you tell them...
  • NthaoNthao Join Date: 2013-07-22 Member: 186278Members
    edited July 2013
    I stopped playing NS2 for about 1-2 months, played some league and other things in that time period, saw NS2 on summer sale, and then thought "Now's a good time to actually play a game".

After all, you need to chum the waters for the big fishes =D. (All baby fishes do grow, just takes time, unless your already chum)
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    The problem is that pubs are often quite unplayable - poor team balance, overall chaos. That discourages both experienced players and newbies alike. Before you can say "blink", both of them are gone forever.
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    To the original poster, NS2 was also on sale, remember - for two days or even more. So player numbers should go up (which it has). The problem is that these waves of MW3/BF3 spray spam, kill-hunting, rambo exos, self-detonating GLs, and ground lerks, rambo onos etc., make playing the game that much harder for the few serious casuals that are still left. The worst part is they just don't listen. Maybe one way to force players to be more strategic is to have spawn waves of dead players, rather than sequential - ie make the respawn time longer for both sides -- that'll force people to value their lives more and follow orders.

Then the whole mess is compounded by the odd "pro" and his buddies who join for a spot of pub-stomping, ruining the game even more. Once, one pro (who shall remain nameless) joined a rookie server we were in, got his pro buddies to eject the comm, took the chair and then did his own build.... way to foster the community. Another pro and his stomp-mate (who shall also remain nameless) also frequent rookie servers and just decimates the opposite side. This helps no one. The noobs/rookies on the winning side learn that you can sit back and do your own thing while one guy sorts everything out, and the losing side sees tons of progress wiped out by the arrival of the pro, suspects hacking afoot, and probably just rage quits right out of the game. And as expected by one of these scorecard bumpers, every time I've seen this guy get more than 3 deaths in a server, he ragequits.

These factors are probably why there's such poor retention of new players. There's a rise in player numbers when the game goes on sale, then the majority of them realize that the game is broken (based on their experience of 10v10) and they just quit, leaving fewer players than there were before the sale. And before anyone says, the game may be balanced for 6v6, but some sort of modulator must be implemented for larger servers - no one wants to join 12p server in the casual scene.

I wish there were non-rookie, non-pro servers around. Alas, the rookie servers get stomped by pros and the pro/clan servers get flooded with rookies. There just isn't enough of a player count for pros to bully casuals like this and expect them to take it on the chin and keep playing. People just get fed up and quit. The other thing is, I've never seen such pubstomping in any other online game like I have in NS2 -- I never saw pros in CS/BF2/MW2 stomping on pubs. They had their own elite servers and just played amongst themselves.
    xen32 wrote: »

Well said.
    Kamamura wrote: »
    The problem is that pubs are often quite unplayable - poor team balance, overall chaos. That discourages both experienced players and newbies alike. Before you can say "blink", both of them are gone forever.

Well said.