Lets brainstorm ideas on how to balance servers

NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
I see a thread on balancing servers at least once a week and even more often lately. Every one of them wants UWE to put in a system to balance the servers. What if we the players and server operators did it. Lets brainstorm.

What if server operators made it common practice to put the desired skill level in the server name. I have been seeing a lot of kkg servers lately and will only use them as an example. What if they did a kkg hive 1 (low skill), a kkg hive 2 (mid skill), and a kkg hive 3 (high skill). Doesn't have to be like that. It would just need a common format between servers. There are not that many server operators right now; I believe they have a steam group even. This will only work so well of course... I do think if it became common practice at the server level, and by word of mouth with the player base being so small, it could work reasonable well.

It doesn't even have to be that. The general idea remains the same. It would be a social experiment. If it did not work nothing would change. If it did work it would be great.

Comments

• bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    hours played is directly proportional to skill level

it's a very good metric to start with
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Good ideas. Maybe the guy who made the ARS mod can make a duplicate but instead make it so you can choose skill level and hide ones you shouldn't/don't want to play.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    biz wrote: »

For one, it only goes so far. I mostly plateaued after 300 hours. I am not at 750 hours.
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    Good ideas. Maybe the guy who made the ARS mod can make a duplicate but instead make it so you can choose skill level and hide ones you shouldn't/don't want to play.
    Everyone would have to have the mod. Might as well have UWE do it then so that everyone has it.

I am thinking something like a non modding non UWE that can just be done as common practice.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    Players didnt give a cent on servernames. You can name the server "Rookies get slaugtered here" and they join anyway.

You see many KKG server cause they are filling them by redirects. So your example would not work there :D
    A rookie join a "full" rookie server an gets redirected to the UBER-pro only server.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    I think there are three possible approaches:
    • Give the random-vote function intelligence to sort players into teams by their skill.
    • Have a "quick-join" function in the main menu, that puts you in a server and on a team by your skill.
    • Have a "join team game" function that puts you in a lobby with other players to join an empty server.

DISCLAIMER (for the always-ney-sayers): There is no optimal way to do it. It is simply not possible to create a system that will give you 100% balanced games. But there is a system that will give you a higher %age of good games than we have now. And we should try to achieve this. (Don't let "perfect" be the enemy of "good"!)

1.) I like this system the most, because it is easy to implement. Distributing players by a skill index into teams is mathematically trivial. Finding some good skill indicators is also not to difficult.
    For example, average K/D, average Score/Minute, Wins and Losses would be enough to calculate a "Skill-Index". This could look like this: Index = 10 * KD + 10 * SM + Wins - Losses

ExamplePlayer1 ->
    K/D = 1.2
    S/M = 4.7
    Wins = 311
    Losses = 268
    ===
    Index = 102

ExamplePlayer2 ->
    K/D = 0.8
    S/M = 3.7
    Wins = 11
    Losses = 35
    ===
    Index = 21

A completely new player has a skill index of zero. Negative values are possible.
    If someone votes to "balance teams", you take all skill-indexes from the players on the server and distribute them to the teams so the sum of the indexes of both teams are as equal as possible. (It's a simple sort algorithm to implement.)

The only expensive part of this solution would be a persistent global stat-tracker per player to determine the average K/D, S/M and Win/Loss over all the games a player has played. The devs would need to implement a way to get this values via lua so the players can create a mod that does this. Also, the stats-mod does that already and it would be very easy to implement the balance-feature into this mod.

There are already mods out there, that distribute players into teams looking at their scores in the last round. The problem is, that this doesn't work after a map change and that it can't use average values that are a better indicator than the single last game.

2.) This system would be huge lot more work. (And it was already tried during beta if I remember right.) Not only do you need persistent stats of every player for this too. You also need to make sure, that you find a server with a good ping. Also what are you doing after the round has finished? Even when you are on a server with the majority of people of your skill level, there are enough differences to create unbalanced teams in the next round. All in all, I can't really see this work.

3.) This system is used by RTS games. You join a lobby and you are pre-placed on a team (similar to a gather). The people are placed on the teams by the same balance formula like above to create an equal skill-index-sum. When both teams are full of players, all are automatically connected to an empty server (with good ping) and pre-placed on the teams and the game starts.

The function that choses a lobby of players for you should also make sure, that all people in the lobby have a good ping to each other. So you don't pair people from around the globe that would have a bad ping on the server that is than chosen.

The lobby should also have a chat window, so you can determine a commander before the game starts and so it is less boring to wait until enough players are there. All in all you can describe this system as a gather-lobby with balance function. But it is also more expensive to develop than 1.) or 2.)
    Also, it needs enough players (that play the game and) use this function, so the waiting time in the lobbies don't get to long.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Brainstorm, brainstorm.... aaahhh, the stress, I don't know, kick all the players? Empty servers are exceptionally balanced.
  • SpoogeSpooge Thunderbolt missile in your cheerios Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 67Members
    I still have the opinion that a dramatically improved and constantly maintained training/educational system will alleviate the majority of the resolvable player balance issues.

There are simply too many aspects of this game that aren't obvious to new/newer players. I've got over 300hrs and I still don't know htf to echo something. And, NO, scouring the forums for answers is not a viable solution to this problem. Even the wiki is barely acceptable and it's constantly outdated.

If you want people to know what they're doing and expect them to do it the "right" way, then you need a quick, thorough, and easily approachable trainer.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Spooge wrote: »
    I still have the opinion that a dramatically improved and constantly maintained training/educational system will alleviate the majority of the resolvable player balance issues.

There are simply too many aspects of this game that aren't obvious to new/newer players. I've got over 300hrs and I still don't know htf to echo something. And, NO, scouring the forums for answers is not a viable solution to this problem. Even the wiki is barely acceptable and it's constantly outdated.

If you want people to know what they're doing and expect them to do it the "right" way, then you need a quick, thorough, and easily approachable trainer.

Not trying to dismiss your argument, but have you tried maybe clicking on the shift?
  • SpoogeSpooge Thunderbolt missile in your cheerios Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 67Members
    edited July 2013
    Yep, did that. And then what?
    There is no obvious cue that says "now click here".

EDIT: also, I just took another look at the wiki and I see that Biomass has been added so it's moderately up to date. It is, however, clearly written by a programmer and comprised, almost completely, of block text. Virtually unreadable to someone who just spent money and wants to play.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    _Necro_ wrote: »
    I think there are three possible approaches:
    • Give the random-vote function intelligence to sort players into teams by their skill.
    • Have a "quick-join" function in the main menu, that puts you in a server and on a team by your skill.
    • Have a "join team game" function that puts you in a lobby with other players to join an empty server.

DISCLAIMER (for the always-ney-sayers): There is no optimal way to do it. It is simply not possible to create a system that will give you 100% balanced games. But there is a system that will give you a higher %age of good games than we have now. And we should try to achieve this. (Don't let "perfect" be the enemy of "good"!)

1.) I like this system the most, because it is easy to implement. Distributing players by a skill index into teams is mathematically trivial. Finding some good skill indicators is also not to difficult.
    For example, average K/D, average Score/Minute, Wins and Losses would be enough to calculate a "Skill-Index". This could look like this: Index = 10 * KD + 10 * SM + Wins - Losses

I just used kkg. It could easily be 156 (low skill) also. My general idea would be a fourth possible approach. It is a social experiment. It would require a lot of community involvement. You said the name could be "Rookies get slaughtered here" and rookies would still join. I know they do currently as their are a few servers that say non rookie friend. I think my idea would mostly work givin enough time because the amount of players is small and the amount of server operators is far less. Greater than 50% of servers would have to have an indicated desire of skill level and all had it in the same format. Then the word of mouth begins with people talking about the new common format in the servers. Over time I think most players would gauge their own skill and join servers of appropriate skill level if the server is populated.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Could steam workshop somehow be used as the host for a global stat tracking system?

Its the only way it would be simple enough to be implemented that wouldn't be a useless "per server KD tracking" (using one of those ELO algorithms that was mentioned)
    IronHorse wrote: »
    simple enough to be implemented

Whatever way server balancing is done, it needs to be simple and easy to implement or it probably wont happen.
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    (Vote)kick 25/2 KDR players, especially when they go Fade or SG JP.

Solves 90% of all balance problems. Should be done automatically by the server. Certainly "simple and easy to implement".

You know it's true. %-(
  • extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    hozz wrote: »

Solves 90% of all balance problems. Should be done automatically by the server. Certainly "simple and easy to implement".

You know it's true. %-(

Or give them a 50% damage & armor nerf. They are looking for a challenge. %-(
  • shriikeshriike Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184461Members
    edited July 2013

You know it's true. %-(

And if you also kicked all the players that went 2/10. You will have effectively eliminated the upper and the lower class, achieving a communistic Natural Selection 2.

This is the opposite of the government style currently being implemented, which is the Facist, Evolutionary, Natural Selection ideology.
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    shriike wrote: »

You know it's true. %-(

And if you also kicked all the players that went 2/10. You will have effectively eliminated the upper and the lower class, achieving a communistic Natural Selection 2.

This is the opposite of the government style currently being implemented, which is the Facist, Evolutionary, Natural Selection ideology.

?????????????
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    edited July 2013

The 2/10 players aren't a problem for the others as the 25/2 players are.
    Also, they can do other things (like harass RTs) where their KDR matters less*, so it's less of a problem for themselves too.
    Finally, there are legitimate 2/10s, e.g. suicide harass and other suicide playstyles.

Technically, you could kick any class of players, e.g. everyone BUT the 25/2 people, or the 25/2 AND the 2/10 people. The only point is to have narrow skill distribution with as few game influencing outliers as possible.
    But the majority has problems with the 25/2s and little problems with the 2/10s. So, in my opinion, it makes sense to only kick the 25/2s.

Also, I'm a bit offended that you judge my proposal as the opposite of facist. I'd like to think it is pretty fascist - blaming a small "elite" and then removing those.
    I'm calling it the "Balance Endlösung" :p
    The really interesting question is: would it work? >:)

--
    *Incidentally, the 25/2 players could also restrict themselves to non combat roles. But they don't do that because they don't have too. The good players (= potential 25/2s) who are nice and restrict themselves (and hence don't get to 25/2) aren't the problem.
    Oh internet, you never fail to surprise me. Where this thread has gone....
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow

The 2/10 players aren't a problem for the others as the 25/2 players are.
    Also, they can do other things (like harass RTs) where their KDR matters less*, so it's less of a problem for themselves too.
    Finally, there are legitimate 2/10s, e.g. suicide harass and other suicide playstyles.

Technically, you could kick any class of players, e.g. everyone BUT the 25/2 people, or the 25/2 AND the 2/10 people. The only point is to have narrow skill distribution with as few game influencing outliers as possible.
    But the majority has problems with the 25/2s and little problems with the 2/10s. So, in my opinion, it makes sense to only kick the 25/2s.

Also, I'm a bit offended that you judge my proposal as the opposite of facist. I'd like to think it is pretty fascist - blaming a small "elite" and then removing those.
    I'm calling it the "Balance Endlösung" :p
    The really interesting question is: would it work? >:)

--
    *Incidentally, the 25/2 players could also restrict themselves to non combat roles. But they don't do that because they don't have too. The good players (= potential 25/2s) who are nice and restrict themselves (and hence don't get to 25/2) aren't the problem.

God forbid that you kick the 2/10 players! Who else will the mediocre masses be able to farm, then? Yes, I can see why the 2/10 players are not a problem for you ;)

You're just jealous that the 25/2 player is 'stealing all your n00b kills.' Get rid of the 25/2 currently, and you'll end up with two 10/2 players in their place. Then you'll have to kick those, and so on, until all you have left is 2/10 players who get the majority of their deaths by falling into voids or lava.

What an awesome game that would be.
  • MkollMkoll Join Date: 2013-02-11 Member: 182996Members
    I got a GREAT idea. Lets make everyone line up against the wall and make the team captains pick sides!
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I somehow regret posting in this thread now... :/
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    I think the solution is "simple".

The server browser already queries the server to know what players are on every server. If there was a way for the serverbrowser to know how many hours those players played ns2, a quick estimation of the server skill level could be made. This could the be compared to the hours played by the player and every server would the be marked as beeing the same, above or under the player skill level. Should be pretty easy to do and would solve many problems. Quake Live does something similar and it seems to work well there.
  • RicezRicez Join Date: 2013-04-13 Member: 184784Members
    There isn't enough players to do any sort of balancing.

The problem is lack of players.
  • EmooEmoo Ibasa Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11198Members
    Mkoll wrote: »
    I got a GREAT idea. Lets make everyone line up against the wall and make the team captains pick sides!

Used to play with some guys who would actually do this. Lead to some of the damn best NS2 games I've had.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    biz wrote: »

No it's really, REALLY not.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    I've got 511 hours on the game, I'm actually not very good though.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    I didn't say its a perfect system. But you understand the game much better than somebody with 20 hours. Perhaps your terrible at aiming, but you will follow the commander and work as a team because you understand the game. Later a better approach could be taken, but implementing the system i described would hugely benefit the game while beeing fast and cheap to implement.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2013
    If an green server is rookie friendly are white server rookie unfriendly then?
    Give the green rookies a place where they can play around a bit in there 4 hrs time to learn some basics. (The maps, movement, Techtrees).

Also:
    - Rookies cant join non rookie servers
    - Remove the rookie entry in the options menu
    - All the topplayers from ns2stats cant join these rookie servers
    - Lets have servers tagged as :
    rookie (only for rookies)
    evolved (normal pubs where everyone can play but mastered players get an damage/hp nerf there)
    mastered (a combination of playtime, ns2stats ranking and earned score) rookies cant join these servers

The first impression counts.
    And if you get slaugtered in every game you played within the 1st 4hrs, you stop playing.

Another thing is:
    The performance entry in the serverbrowser should show the average performance.
    This is part of the 1st impression also.
    If rookies join horrible rubberbanding servers, they stop playing too.