Server redirect is evil and it must be stopped

MrPinkMrPink Join Date: 2002-05-28 Member: 678Members
Server redirect is when you join a server, get a message that tells you it is full, and are then sent to one of the other servers belonging to the network owner.

1. It is annoying when you end up on a server that you did not choose
2. It wastes your time when you have to load a map twice before you are allowed to quit
3. It kills other servers by establishing a monopoly on one server network and puts single owner servers at a disadvantage

Please stop it before it spreads, it is the Walmart of NS2 servers!

Comments

• YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    Yea it is dumb but in the end it is their server their rules ~X(

Best you can do is make a note of it and avoid them. Sucks when there are a limited number of servers to choose from though.
  • LokeLoke Join Date: 2003-02-25 Member: 13988Members
    Ignore those BS servers and pick a favorite. I usually shelter on the [Swe]Games servers; quick to connect to and more importantly no annoying server redirect (and for the love of GOD no custom sound effects).
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    Glad we don't have this problem in Australia.
  • draktokdraktok Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183156Members
    i just join UWE official servers only.
  • BellicoseBellicose Join Date: 2013-04-11 Member: 184748Members
    I stopped playing on those. KKG's are the worst - at least for me. I'll join one as like the 3rd person, only to go thru the load and be told 'server full, redirecting to another' or something. Then I load THAT one and am told the same thing! This happened 4 times one day until I finally just gave up. Will never load those again. Many other great servers that don't annoy it's players like this.

And for those that haven't experienced this - good for you, enjoy your server.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Glad we don't have this problem in Australia.

We only have 3 public servers.
  • RoflcopterV22RoflcopterV22 Arizona Join Date: 2013-04-03 Member: 184616Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    It would be nice if, instead of complaining about KKG's servers on these forums people would bring it to their forums :D
  • KhyronKhyron Join Date: 2012-02-02 Member: 143308Members
    It would be nice if, instead of complaining about KKG's servers on these forums people would bring it to their forums :D
    Yes and while you're at it be sure to rate, subscribe and leave a comment!
  • CabooseCaboose title = name(self, handle) Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13597Members, Constellation
    I usually avoid KKG servers, they annoy me, but sadly, they are usually the only servers with players that have decent numbers and aren't full or empty.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2013
    The US serversituation is a bit sad atm in my opinion.

You can choose between one of the most played servers wordwide (YESSSS)
    serveri5phafuxez_thumb.jpg
    But with performance from hell.

You can choose endless redirections and end on slotamounts you dont want to play on.

Or you can choose one of the other >20 spamfest servers.

In Europe we have an good mix between 16 to 24 servers.
    80% with great performance
    I didnt know a single server in the EU with reserved slots (wich is another annoying "feature")
    With or without mods.

Its a bit one sided in the US.
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    #serveradminstrollingus101

but seriously, F*** O** with this server re-direct crap.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Just learn when they redirect you. KKG for example will redirects its last slot. Just don't join when it says 23/24.
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2013
    The worst servers are always the most popular which leads me to believe civilization is starting to break down.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    The redirect on the KKG servers is a joke, honestly.. talk about driving people away from your servers instead of retaining them..

For the average joe that doesn't care about playing with friends it's okay, right up until he gets sent to an empty server.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    current1y wrote: »
    Just learn when they redirect you. KKG for example will redirects its last slot. Just don't join when it says 23/24.

KKG has a 2 slot reserve on every server. Not just one. It is rather annoying.

Anyway, UWE is working on reserve slot settings for server admins right now. I am hopping they will do it right.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    You sure? I can connect when it says 22/24. Either way just figure out when they redirect you. Only 1 server group has this right now that ive seen. I never play on kkg so joshhy could be right.

And yeah i agree with locklear. Personally I play there even less now with the redirect in place.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yea it is dumb but in the end it is their server their rules ~X(

Bullsnot. It's their choice to have a redirect, but it must be the connecting client's choice not to follow a redirect.
  • SolaritySolarity Join Date: 2012-11-13 Member: 170515Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    You can press ~ (console) and type disconnect or exit at any time. You don't have to wait for it to loop around. I do think sending someone to a full server to get redirected again is poor programming. Other than that it is their server. You can download an addon to remove servers with reserved slots, when they have no free slots left.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    Part of the looping issue is that people want to join servers that A) aren't empty, B) aren't full, C) have good ping/performance. and therefore these servers that effectively "fake" available slots, make it a negative experience.

I recommend that people discontinue to perpetrate this kind of servers existance and find loyalty to help fill other servers and support their communities. This encourages better competition (server population-wise).

Don't forget that every game where you run/rent a server has this issue where the servers mostly remain empty until peak hour, or until the above conditions are met.

I will try to get DMZGaming.com's Rookie and Non Rookie servers back up, not sure if they're up atm,

They run no mods, and plays vanilla NS2, and they are administrated by yours truly. Their combat server seems popular though.

I encourage people join less populated (and even empty) servers to help create competition, I've been graced to have a regular group of players who I play with regularly and will try to jump start a server.

I realize this is less appealing to an individual, but sitting in a server waiting for it to fill is probably less annoying than reloading the map 4 times just to end up in an empty server. It's a wise choice to join some NS2 communities so you don't have to feel alone, and for community managers, let's start rising awareness for your servers or groups, it's to your own benefit, here I'll start this motion:

Here is my Steam Community, it's always public and we play NS2 along with other games in groups on a daily basis.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Super-Effective-Gamers/
    When I can I often join the DMZGaming.com servers, search them up :)

My CDN $0.02,
    ISE
  • simbasimba Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151628Members
    Or you want to play vanilla ns2 and KKG redirects you 3 times until you get plopped on their combat mod server. If I wanted to play combat mod, I would have selected it.

This goes along the same lines as the servers with reserved slots in general. Of the usual 12-15 US servers active and listed, I have effectively blacklisted 9 of them, leaving 6 left. Sadly those are all labelled rookie friendly and I try to avoid the rookie friendly servers because its not fun killing ground-skulks.
  • Rich_Rich_ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167152Members
    those damn admins and the servers they spend their hard earned money on. How dare they displease me in any way. Lets riot in the streets
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    I think the servers will keep you on if there are Admins present. . .

Basically you can join them when they are 22/24 and if 2 Admins are on you won't get relocated

As I mentioned in the last thread like this though I don't think it takes much effort to get on the list if you are a regular or head to their official forums
  • MrPinkMrPink Join Date: 2002-05-28 Member: 678Members
    2 things

-A major issue is that this is clearly killing other servers because it works even though no one wants it. I don't want to play on these servers but lately there are times when they are the only servers available with decent ping and player counts.

-This is not their right to do this just like it isn't a right to host malicious software or use unfair business practices. It might not be as bad as putting a virus on my computer but it is not a different concept either.