Vote for NS2 on Steams Community Choice Sale

KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
Go on! Vote it up!

http://store.steampowered.com/

Brings it down to the bargain of $6.25 USD.

Comments

• KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    FEZ has been on a daily deal before I think. But it will be hard to go against Monaco, it's supposedly an awesome game too... -75% discount would be awesome, might well buy my fourth copy of NS2 if it goes on sale.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    Voted, lets get another wave of players in!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Would click button again!
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Voted, I think it's got a good chance with being the only -75% game in the list.
  • PaLaGiPaLaGi Join Date: 2008-01-03 Member: 63331Members, Constellation
    Less than an hour left! Rock the vote!
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Let's pretend I have a life and I'm a casual gamer, who doesn't play much and never heard of these games. I get on steam and see 3 choices:
    - 2d game of questionable genre with WTF IS THIS screenshots at 50% off
    - Childish platformer with I AM SO INDIE screenshots at 50% off
    - Multiplayer 3d action with monsters and robots at 75% off

I wouldn't even be thinking what to vote for.
    Odds that we get NS on sale are pretty high.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited July 2013
    xen32 wrote: »
    Let's pretend I have a life and I'm a casual gamer, who doesn't play much and never heard of these games. I get on steam and see 3 choices:
    - 2d game of questionable genre with WTF IS THIS screenshots at 50% off
    - Childish platformer with I AM SO INDIE screenshots at 50% off
    - Multiplayer 3d action with monsters and robots at 75% off

I wouldn't even be thinking what to vote for.
    Odds that we get NS on sale are pretty high.

More people have heard of fez though. The creator is a douchebag, but a very vocal one.

And NS2 won! 51%, great voting.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sweet, NS2 won! Time to go hunting for ground lerks, they're in season once again...
  • LamboLambo Iceland Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154915Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sweet, NS2 won! Time to go hunting for ground lerks, they're in season once again...
    Expect greens.

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    tenderloin wrote: »
    Expect greens.

Listen to your mum, eat your greens!
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    The Steam Store is experiencing some heavy load right now. Please try again later.

Sad day. :(
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Wow, that was unexpected, although what xen wrote is very true. Just take a look at the Monaco forums, it's full of "Crappy-gme took the win, but that's understandable.. Kids everywhere" and the like. It looks like a 3D-Shooter, it must be evil. Kill it!

Btw, how do you guys know the distribution of votes (like 51% for NS2)?
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Wow, that was unexpected, although what xen wrote is very true. Just take a look at the Monaco forums, it's full of "Crappy-gme took the win, but that's understandable.. Kids everywhere" and the like. It looks like a 3D-Shooter, it must be evil. Kill it!

Btw, how do you guys know the distribution of votes (like 51% for NS2)?

It tells you when the votes are over, ns2 destroyed the competition
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
  • hf_hf_ Join Date: 2011-06-10 Member: 103639Members
    Anyone else NOT happy to see NS2 win the Steam Community Sale? Pubs were just getting to the point to be playable again after the last time NS2 was this cheap on Steam. There will be another huge influx of people who have no idea what they're doing, causing pubs again to become obnoxious. After 2 weeks, all of the newbies will stop playing, and we'll be back where we were yesterday.

I suppose it's good for UWE to keep raking in some cash, but these sales aren't long-term ways to grow the game. NS2 desperately needs new content.. we're still at only 2 trait upgrades per hive type, and this game is going on 9 months old. Creating a female marine model is a start, but UWE needs to place more emphasis on retaining new players.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited July 2013
    hf_ wrote: »
    Anyone else NOT happy to see NS2 win the Steam Community Sale? Pubs were just getting to the point to be playable again after the last time NS2 was this cheap on Steam. There will be another huge influx of people who have no idea what they're doing, causing pubs again to become obnoxious. After 2 weeks, all of the newbies will stop playing, and we'll be back where we were yesterday.

I suppose it's good for UWE to keep raking in some cash, but these sales aren't long-term ways to grow the game. NS2 desperately needs new content.. we're still at only 2 trait upgrades per hive type, and this game is going on 9 months old. Creating a female marine model is a start, but UWE needs to place more emphasis on retaining new players.

New content isn't what is going to help keep new players. Everything in the game is new to them but they are leaving anyway. There are only three things that can be done to improve that. They can address the steep learning curve. They can add progression "carrot and stick" mechanics between games (even achievements would help somwhat), and they can deal with stacked teams. Those are THE three reasons why player retention is so poor.
    hf_ wrote: »

Quite the contrary! This is the best thing that could happen to NS2. Actually the second best thing. The best thing would be a follow up daily deal at -75%.

Why? Because all the ppl that are new from the weekend sale, are now in a position that puts them above the newbs. Before it was just vets and newbs. That was a source of much frustration for the new players. Now it's vets and newbs (from the current sale) and intermediate players. The completely new ppl won't get stomped as hard and the intermediate ppl will be able to enjoy some moments of superiority on the field.
  • hf_hf_ Join Date: 2011-06-10 Member: 103639Members
    People are purchasing NS2 because it's cheap, not because they want to play it. Retention should be focused on those who have previously purchased the game prior to the Steam sales at its normal cost of around ~$25, but for whatever reasons, decided to stop playing. New content, among other things, can help bring them back into the fold. These are the people that remember and/or have played the original Natural Selection, and in my opinion, are more likely to continue playing as opposed to some kid that bought the game because it was the Steam Community sale of the day.
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    IAmJTS wrote: »
    Thank you all for voting, I'd just like to point out that I purchased the game and am here because of that Steam sale haha. You guys win!

Welcome and I hope you enjoy the game!
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    IAmJTS wrote: »
    Thank you all for voting, I'd just like to point out that I purchased the game and am here because of that Steam sale haha. You guys win!
    One of us

• Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Check out the next deal, Skyrim for $0 :D

UP3gtwc.png
  • RicezRicez Join Date: 2013-04-13 Member: 184784Members
    More purchasers = more players, you can't argue that's a bad thing.
  • It's Super Effective!It's Super Effective! Join Date: 2012-08-28 Member: 156625Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Now we just gotta keep the vultures off of em ;)