Show player footprints on infestation

KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
I think it would be good to be able to see marine footprints (with a 5 second trail) on infestation. Only the comm or players would be able to view the footprints if they are in the area, but they aren't displayed on the mini map.

Comments

• NailoNailo Join Date: 2013-05-06 Member: 185138Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    What are you trying to achieve with this if you don't mind me asking?

If you want footprints to be seen you could take it up a notch further and turn alien vision into infrared vision and allow footprints to leave a heat signature and the timer would act as footprints cooling.

Regardless, I'm not sure if this is a good idea. Marines already have a hard enough time as it is hiding what with alien vision and aura. ^_^ Just my opinion though.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    I don't want to burst your bubble, but I don't think the developers even look at I&S... ever.
  • KalopsiaKalopsia Join Date: 2003-05-15 Member: 16331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Nailo wrote: »
    What are you trying to achieve with this if you don't mind me asking?

Since they took drifter cloaking away and marines can now build on infestation...they can literally just popup anywhere. I see this as a recon trait so aliens can keep an eye on their ground.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2013
    Ironsoul wrote: »
    I don't want to burst your bubble, but I don't think the developers even look at I&S... ever.

Sorry to burst the bubble you're in: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2131024/#Comment_2131024

NS2 Developers are very busy people. If they read every thread on the forums every day, NS2 would still probably be in alpha!

This is where we testers try to help. We read all the threads, and forage good ideas, we will try to pollinate it in the developers' minds, :bz so they can crystallize them into sweet sweet new features. :)
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    Ironsoul wrote: »

Sorry to burst the bubble you're in: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2131024/#Comment_2131024

NS2 Developers are very busy people. If they read every thread on the forums every day, NS2 would still probably be in alpha!

This is where we testers try to help. We read all the threads, and forage good ideas, we will try to pollinate it in the developers' minds, :bz so they can crystallize them into sweet sweet new features. :)

okay u r a ns2 newb... i see...

as i am around here since 2001 i remember the alpha times of ns and ns2 very good.
    in those days the developers where checking EVERY thread... everyone of them.
    and they where also responding a lot.
    there where really the feeling of open development,
    a long abandoned strategy by them long ago (around 4 years).

ns2 developers are no more busy people anymore,
    they are successfull now.

long gone is the link to pivotal tracker
    long gone is charlie from ns2 development.

ns2 is a game made by the community now
    not by uwe anymore.

uwe is just hunting for new playerbases and more buyers
    and just trying to sell, instead of fixing the core problems of the game...

but hey, they sold something between 400.000 to 500.000 copies, so what?
    they have our money now. enough of it to shit on us.

i am very open to critical thinking and well thought arguments.

everyone who is part of the official team must not answer!
    except its charlie cleveland.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Sorry Kalopsia, I should have replied to your initial suggestion first.

You might remember that during the beta, alien commander had the passive ability to see marine movement (but not the actual player or AI units) anywhere on the map. It was like a built-in wall hack and even made marines' "surprise" tactics backfire. That was deemed too powerful and removed.

Now, aliens can still scout with Drifters, hallucinations (drifter ability), as well as parasite, I don't think the developers want give aliens any extra scouting advantages.