Close positions RT

JCDentonJCDenton Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183768Members
What is the amount of effort you should apply to the RT are when you are on close positions, as aliens, as well as with marines?
Often times I can have most of my team try to go there, and then have us lose a majority of the map, but if we lose that area, we tend to have most of our based destroyed which isn't very good.

So, how much effort should you push to holding the RT between you and the enemy main, on close positions?

Comments

• elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    Not alot. It's just one rt. The only thing you want to prevent is a spawn rush/camp, so you match your effort to theirs kinda. The team that overcommits to the close rt (relative to the other team), yet can't actually IP/egg camp will generally lose. Sometimes you can bait the other team into overcommiting with alot of initial effort and then abusing gorge hydras. When they overcommit, bite/shoot all their res - no res, no way.

Basically, you get more RTS advantage from winning fights on the other side of the map than winning fights at the close rt.
  • MistenTHMistenTH Join Date: 2003-01-01 Member: 11706Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I second what Elodea said. Seen too many games where one team overcommits, but not enough to take out the main base. They pretty much lose the rest of the map.
  • JCDentonJCDenton Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183768Members
    So as Aliens, would it not make sense to gorge off the entrance, and ocassionally harass as a means to pull their attention during moments where they push else where?
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Imo, just have like two marines on that side, cap the RT if you can hold it and harass their main hive. Meanwhile send most of your guys out to cap the rest of the map. Aliens is about thesame thing, only I wouldn't bother trying to cap the RT, just make sure you have a bit of alien presence there so marines won't walk into your hive, but focus on the rest of the map.

I really hate it when I see hoards of people on my team repeatedly going for that one RT in between the two spawns, only to just camp there indefinitely, while we're losing the rest of the map.
  • MistenTHMistenTH Join Date: 2003-01-01 Member: 11706Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yea, aliens having a gorge wall to stop marines from rushing into the hive.

For marines, Just keep reinforcing from base & scatter some mines to stop a base rush. A forward armoury can help, but this is usually bad as it promotes the camping there.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    When placing gorge walls though, remember to keep in mind that your players will need to get through those doorways too. Nothing worse than a gorge wall preventing a fade or onos from retreating and causing their death
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Regarding clog walls :
    My favorite tactic for gorge walls is to block half the width of a doorway so as to funnel a marine through who thinks it's an opening - yet is greeted by three nearby hydras on the ceiling... To which in close proximity will down his health in 4 seconds, 2 if I'm spitting at him.
    The reduced entrance prevents anything other than close proximity and full exposure to all three hydras at once.

If only one gorge kept a half open eye on his clog wall near a close rt, you'd be able to prevent base rushes, as well as draw their attention and energy into your free wall.