500lbs Onos in the room!

SolaritySolarity Join Date: 2012-11-13 Member: 170515Members, Reinforced - Shadow
When the BT/2.50 came out I wasn't to thrilled, but over the weeks I have adapted. While I don't hate it, there is one big problem I see that really breaks this mod/patch for end game. Two games on a very good server saw an incredible end game. One game lasted 45 the other lasted 50 mins. The Onos, while I don't use it a whole lot, it has been effectively nurtured. While I agree the range that an onos gore had prepatch was a little OP, I think that nerfing the armor of carpace takes any fear I had out of an onos. I think a 60 rez dual exo is a lot more effective than an 84 fully upgraded onos. The JP's are really blowing onos away. I can't speak for normal pug servers, but on our server where everyone is a reg save 2, the issue was apparent. After the map change everyone stayed in the RR for over 15mins and the marines completely agreed that the Aliens hit a wall in the game that would not allow them to overcome the end game wall. The aliens didn't have all 3 hives, but they had the majority of res nodes throughout the game.

So I guess with aliens on our server, win quickly in start or mid game, or hang in for a long tiring loss.

-Solarity

Comments

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I really think Onos HP were fine before 250 and didn't need a nerf at all.

The attack range on the other hand...
  • piratedavepiratedave Join Date: 2012-03-10 Member: 148561Members
    Onos needs Bone Shield

• YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    rantology wrote: »
    It's not the Onos that is the issue, it's the absurd amount of DPS exosuits put out.

Also, 24p+ servers where it's not uncommon to see 6-7 marines in one area, this can be a player number scaling issue that seems unlikely to be addressed (though I firmly believe Exosuits are the biggest issue).

Ya kinda wish we could see the Sponiter stats. I am sure everyone could draw better conclusions about balance if we could see the rate and statistics per player count. Though I do not really see many servers with more than 24 players. The normal is typically 16p to 24p. I would say around 20-24 things get pretty curazy for the marine turtles.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    rantology wrote: »
    It's not the Onos that is the issue, it's the absurd amount of DPS exosuits put out.

Also, 24p+ servers where it's not uncommon to see 6-7 marines in one area, this can be a player number scaling issue that seems unlikely to be addressed (though I firmly believe Exosuits are the biggest issue).

JPs murder them too, and even rail exos are doing enough damage to be threatening. The problem is paper onos, not OP exos. Exos need the DPS they have else they wouldn't stand a chance against fades either.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Stomp could make exo weapons overheat, and boneshield can help the onos be more tactical
  • SolaritySolarity Join Date: 2012-11-13 Member: 170515Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Neoken wrote: »
    I'm assuming you mean "neutered" and not "nurtured". :)

But I have to agree, onos HP/armor is just too low to compete with late game marine tech. 84 res for a fully upgraded onos feels like such a waste.

Guess that is my dyslexia + spell check fail + 2:30am. I don't even see an edit button 0_o. Though I think I got my point across. I am not trying to make this another bash 2.50. I just want to see a better end game as the cost of the Onos, doesn't justify it's usefulness now. I miss the Onos being "Scary", when I am a marine. Now it is just fly around the room with a better jet pack and just own it by jumping to various objects like my cat on top of a bookshelf. While a solo exo isn't "Scary" the Exo + JP + siege cannon is very scary.

On the other hand it is amazing doing some crazy come backs as marines. If you hang on long enough you can just bust out of a 2 base turtle and own. I see a lot more of those now than pre-2.50.

-Solarity

• SolaritySolarity Join Date: 2012-11-13 Member: 170515Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Also to add to this late game is also even more unbalanced as aliens require 3 tech points to the marines 2. This wasn't so much of a problem with the all mighty onos, all hail all mighty onos!
  • extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    Onos needs neuticles
  • DavilDavil Florida, USA Join Date: 2012-08-14 Member: 155602Members, Constellation
    Have to agree that marines seem to have a huge advantage over aliens towards the end of the game. Onos cost more and are less effective than exos which seems like it could be a good chunk of the problem.
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    It's good that Onos aren't autowin now, but they have definitely been nerfed too hard. You can do so much more with a skulk or gorge than with Onos and most of the time they would just soak up bullets - which they are fairly bad since 250
  • AlkixAlkix Join Date: 2013-07-10 Member: 186046Members
    I think the Onos got an unintended double nerf due to the nerfing of umbra.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited July 2013
    Ive used onos with some success but I must admit it feels to weak. I feel a downright coward having to run away from more than 3 marines late game cause the chance of death is just not worth trying to kill them. Not to mention exos, a dual exo and 2 lmg marines can kill an onos in like 5 seconds. You really do have to pick your battles, but on 20+ player servers that usually pretty damn hard.
    I also agree that dual exos do way too much dmg, even at a huge range getting snagged by a couple of bullets is enough to almost kill a lerk.
  • alansmilealotalansmilealot Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171301Members
    give the gorge the ability to mount the onos, maybe we will see a bette late game onos. Imagine a onos with a gorge charging in a base, onos shanking marines, gorge spewing acidic puke everywhere...
  • TrustMeImADentistTrustMeImADentist Join Date: 2013-04-27 Member: 185014Members
    I don't know about balance but I "awesome" the above post
  • DaveodethDaveodeth Join Date: 2012-11-21 Member: 172717Members
    I would like the onos to not lose all speed chasing a marine, why! what kind of 500lbs animal is stopped dead in his tracks by a damn squishy thing.
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    imo you're just playing the game wrong.

before 250, onos could literally run into a room full of (pub noob) marines and kill 3-4 then almost always retreat to heal up, with absolutely no skill requirement.

post 250, onos have to play smarter - you can't just charge in on your own against multiple marines. you have to play it like it was intended (as with the rest of aliens) and use brain power to coordinate and not over-commit.
  • Gangsta_MonkeyGangsta_Monkey Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24589Members
    tarquinbb wrote: »
    imo you're just playing the game wrong.

before 250, onos could literally run into a room full of (pub noob) marines and kill 3-4 then almost always retreat to heal up, with absolutely no skill requirement.

post 250, onos have to play smarter - you can't just charge in on your own against multiple marines. you have to play it like it was intended (as with the rest of aliens) and use brain power to coordinate and not over-commit.

I keep seeing this argument "Aliens just need to play smarter!" which I think is a total crock. When do the marines have to play smarter than just point and click? As an alien I feel like I have to be playing at 150% just to have a chance of winning where as marine is just a walk in the park.

Case in point, today, playing as an onos, one lone dual exo starts shooting at a skulk, I'm cloaked nearby. I wait for a second or two for his ammo counter to drop then charge in where he has about half a second of shooting at me before I am goring him. Even with him having to stop to reload he still nearly killed me because of his new increased mobility and insane damage output. I had gotten the drop on him, I played tactically smart, I used every tool at my disposal and still barely killed him (had something like 114 hp left).

As an alien I feel the odds are constantly stacked against us, and to me nothing is more frustrating as a late game skulk than having all the proper planning and coordination to surprise a marine get 4 bites in on him before he even looks at you, and then instantly die before the fifth one lands (he had an lmg just jumped and sprayed).
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
    one of my big ns2 complaints was the lack of a middle game. rounds seem to either end in an early rush, or a late mass of onos tanks or exos.

250 was a huge step in the right direction, but I feel the glaring issue of 1 cc exos and onos being useless unless in large groups should be attended to asap.
    My first time comming as marines in 2.50 and first time comming in months was today. Aliens were owning us, we finally were able to keep 4 rez nodes and 1 other base. We just held our ground, tech'ed up and we just owned them. If the idea of having a plan of having 3 onos, 2 lerks, 1 fade, and 3 gorges at the exact time and have to coordinate everything to win end game, that is just way to much to coordinate and have everyone have the required rez.
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    Why do Aliens need 3 hives for full upgrades, but Marines need 1 (except for dual exos pretty much) What is fair or balanced in that? what is balanced about everything costing more for Aliens? What's balanced about Marine tech tree not mirroring Aliens even close at all. Why did UWE need to force this on everyone when they don't have the time/drive to update it? Sewlek was updating it like 1-4 times a DAY, this has been like this for WEEKS...

Why do marines have decent area denial structures that aliens don't? Why do they have the only aoe projectile that does damage? Why do they need an anti building weapon that also wrecks aliens HP and energy? Why do aliens have such an insanely fragile spawning system where two coordinated marines can shut down an entire team spawning yet marines are protected spawning. Why are marine pushes and forward bases salvageable yet aliens can't reabsorb structures into the creep? Is the railgun exo really necessary? Most of all why do aliens need to have such amazing team coordination and communication where the marines can get by with "stuff is dying here" "build there" "get a welder".
  • tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    Why do Aliens need 3 hives for full upgrades, but Marines need 1 (except for dual exos pretty much) What is fair or balanced in that? what is balanced about everything costing more for Aliens? What's balanced about Marine tech tree not mirroring Aliens even close at all. Why did UWE need to force this on everyone when they don't have the time/drive to update it? Sewlek was updating it like 1-4 times a DAY, this has been like this for WEEKS...

Why do marines have decent area denial structures that aliens don't? Why do they have the only aoe projectile that does damage? Why do they need an anti building weapon that also wrecks aliens HP and energy? Why do aliens have such an insanely fragile spawning system where two coordinated marines can shut down an entire team spawning yet marines are protected spawning. Why are marine pushes and forward bases salvageable yet aliens can't reabsorb structures into the creep? Is the railgun exo really necessary? Most of all why do aliens need to have such amazing team coordination and communication where the marines can get by with "stuff is dying here" "build there" "get a welder".

marines are protected spawning? erm no... since you could technically be spawn-camped and die instantly with no hope to survive. if anything the spawn situation is more dire for marines, unless aliens are terrible and just bee-line straight into unfavourable marine encounters. In which case it's comparable to terrible marines letting a bunch of skulks rush through and kill their main base.

if exo is too powerful, it will be nerfed in time. sorry for being blunt, but uwe can see tonnes of statistics which mean a lot more than your biased and subjective pub opinion. also, you make a few references to res cost (recycle/salvage), which is a non-point because the game is assymetric - a lerk can go much further than a grenade launcher, but you don't see people whining about overpriced grenade launcher etc.
  • Brad2810Brad2810 Join Date: 2013-03-24 Member: 184313Members
    well, i've just been playing for a few hours, around 20 or so games. different servers. and i only ever saw 4 alien victorys. even the times when the team was coordinated, we'd start to push them back, then the GL+FL and exos show up and destroy everything.

nearlly every time i join a server, soemone has ragequited fro m aliens, and i join, and hear exos tearing stuff apart.

atm, the game seems too biased to the marines. as someone else has said, the aliens require SO MUCH more teamwork to win, and some luck. whearas marines jsut have to weld their exos and shoot grenades at anything that moves.

not even going to talk about the better players almost never playing as aliens, resulting in a stack.

don't get me wrong, i love b250, it's so muc hmore fun (kinda) but before it, it was pretty mixed, now, liek i said, 20 games, across 3 different servers, 4 alien victorys. ridiculous.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    Make the Exo deal NORMAL damage....they do 25 damage per shot (per minigun)......

4 rounds = 100 armor gone (200 in the same time for dualies) and they fire how many bullets per second?
    edited July 2013
    tarquinbb wrote: »
    marines are protected spawning? erm no... since you could technically be spawn-camped and die instantly with no hope to survive. if anything the spawn situation is more dire for marines, unless aliens are terrible and just bee-line straight into unfavourable marine encounters. In which case it's comparable to terrible marines letting a bunch of skulks rush through and kill their main base.

if exo is too powerful, it will be nerfed in time. sorry for being blunt, but uwe can see tonnes of statistics which mean a lot more than your biased and subjective pub opinion. also, you make a few references to res cost (recycle/salvage), which is a non-point because the game is assymetric - a lerk can go much further than a grenade launcher, but you don't see people whining about overpriced grenade launcher etc.

They cannot be damaged while spawning, aliens eggs can be destroyed extremely easy, and even if the egg is not destroyed the alien will be instantly under fire and considering the fragility of the skulk this can result in an insta dead skulk. And seriously? Back off about the whole pub stuff, you sound like an elitist moron and UWE can look at stats all they like it's still the experience of individual players that determines whether a game will have a user base. Second I've been playing NS since it came out and have logged 200 hours of NS2 so I do have an idea of what I am talking about thank you. (I'm sure there are people with more experience but I don't care) Just because a game is asymmetrical does not mean that both sides cannot have the same or similar features, the bottom line is that aliens have hard investments that they cannot recoup, where as most of marines investments can be returned either by recycling or reclaiming weapons. A lerk is also fragile as hell and does little ranged damage where as a GL decimates everything in its path, and can clear a way in easily. If you'd like to discuss more of my points feel free, but just saying I'm a pub, supplying no evidence and saying my viewpoint doesn't matter makes you sound like an ass, and you can kindly bugger off.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'm now pretty convinced that it's aliens who have the advantage, in spite of the onos. The onos needs some love, for sure, but the marines are losing the majority of games in competitive play. It won't be too much longer before people in pubs get used to the aliens and we see a higher percentage of alien wins. But I agree with the OP's thread title: there is an onos in the room and everyone seems to be avoiding discussing it :)