Praise for Hugh, UWE, and IronHorse

draktokdraktok Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183156Members
edited July 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
So, some time ago I asked hugh if we could borrow some amount of keys to use and perhaps hand out at CONvergence, a rather big scifi and fantasy con held in Minneapolis MN, for the LAN gaming. We didn't play a ton of NS2, as it was the newer game on the block, and of course no one knew how to play, as opposed to CS and TF2 which was played in a couple small tournes at the con. Nontheless, we did get a nice game of it going while I was there, and I'm sure it was played more over the weekend, even if I wasn't there to witness it.

First, I want to thank Hugh and UWE for the keys, I had a ton of fun with ns2 over the weekend, and even though I didn't know how to play much because of the balance mod for aliens, I could still try and help direct some newer players how to play. We had a lot of fun, I handed out some keys, and I know a ton of people got to see the game, and I made some friends over the weekend.

Second, I want to thank Ironhorse. Last night I had 6 players who were all sub 10 hours played, as they had just picked it up over the weekend, and I was asking more people to play so we could get a small in-house game going. Ironhorse selflessly lent his time and a server temporary for us to use and taught a couple players how to play. After he logged out, There was a couple who said "Damn, ironhorse is good. He was giving legitimate good strategies for how to be an alien too, it was awesome". "Ironhorse is badass".

Seriously, getting responses like that from some of my friends that were brand new, and some connies who were relatively brand new, is awesome. I appreciate the keys, and the help, you guys, it's great that this community is so awesome.

PS Edit: double thanks to ironhorse for putting up with some of my friends, I know some of them are a bit rash at times ;)
@ironhorse @hugh (do tags work?)

Comments

• MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    I've seen plenty of LANs get sponsorship, but this is the first time I've heard of keys getting handed out to attendees
  • draktokdraktok Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183156Members
    Yes, Hugh allowed me 16 keys to use on the machines at the con, and 16 keys to hand out as prizes.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Awesome all round!
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Great to hear that, Draktok. And yeah, the amount of time and dedication Ironhorse pours into NS2 is pretty amazing, both helping out on the PT side, as well as helping new players learn the game, and work through their technical issues.
  • GeekavengerGeekavenger Join Date: 2012-08-31 Member: 157117Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah CON went really well. I helped run a few of the NS2 sessions. Having the Keys to give out got people really excited to play. A lot of questions and a lot of hand holding but I think everyone had a great time. Thanks a bunch UWE. I saw a few people jumping on internet servers during the Open gaming sessions too so people definitely appreciated it.
  • draktokdraktok Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183156Members
    edited July 2013
    Yes, I ran into some real life issues so I was not at the con for all of the weekend as I hoped. I was only there for some 10 hours tops, sadly.

Good to hear you guys got some serious games going.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Glad i could help! :)
    You had a great bunch of friends there, quick to learn too.
    Teaching them in game by mimicking gave me some great ideas, as well, hehe.

Hope to see you guys around in game!
    Steam me if you ever need anything

@Maximumsquid :
    UWE gave out top shelf logitech gear and the occasional game key, as prizes during the last PAX event, as well.
    We had people coming up the following days, every day, asking when the next "tournament" would be - was really cool to see that. I didn't really get the chance to see how other booths did it tho?

• BurdockBurdock Join Date: 2012-08-27 Member: 156553Members
    edited July 2013
    Ironhorse is loves his fellow man(Or Skulk) like no one else~

Burdock <3s Ironhorse(And Hugh) for all the stream keys!
  • NarfwakNarfwak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5258Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica PT Lead, NS2 Community Developer
    Way to rep the community and the game, @draktok! And yes, Ironhorse is a boss, I genuinely do not understand how he has the energy to do all the stuff he does.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    Narfwak wrote: »
    Way to rep the community and the game, @draktok! And yes, Ironhorse is a boss, I genuinely do not understand how he has the energy to do all the stuff he does.
    He is 10% Narwhal :P