Super long game

CycloneCyclone Join Date: 2013-02-15 Member: 183099Members
edited July 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Played a game that neared the hundred minute mark earlier today. Was friggin epic, with lots of back and forth. We must have lost 6+ hives or something. Wish I could play more games that feel as close and well balanced as that one did. (Without taking that long obviously)

Unfortunately I did not get a screen shot. All I know is Durden passed 1k points, and I had about 125 kills.
It was awesome.

Comments

• DogbiteDogbite Join Date: 2004-03-14 Member: 27329Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Those games are why I keep playing NS. It's like a sick addiction.

I played a 90+ minute game over the weekend. It was actually really fun despite the massive amount of Commander mic rage. I love long games that have a lot of back and forth, even if both teams are equally bad, which we were.......
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2013
    I like long games, when they go back and forth over and over, but not games that are over 30 minutes before they actually end and just can't manage to finish it...
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Easily one of my most favorite things of NS2
    As long as the teams are equal... it provides a great back and forth, and "on your toes" gameplay that is truly addicting, where everyone laughs and says "whew, GG!" in the RR.

If you weren't already.. you've now been bit!
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    When I command and I go against a good commander against (marines or kharra), whether my team is good skilled or not, I seem to have the best games in NS2. I just love two good coms against each other, if the team listen's to the com, they can go for a long while. My most rememberable games of NS2 have always been against two really good commander and battling it about the map for a long while. My last memorable game was last week, we (Aliens) started in atrium and the marins the marines directly opposite. After about an hour we had basically swapped spawn locations with them attacking and us counter attacking. The game went on for almost 2 hours before they won due to clever tactic they deployed. They where hitting Xroads with 5 ARC's and a few JP marines, so we all went there to stop them but it turned out it was only a distraction, they hit Flight control with the rest of the team with 2/3 exos and after that, well, it was just really delaying the inevitable. One hell on a game though
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Just had a game like this for 45 minutes on Mineshaft tonight. Good comms make for a long game, especially in build 250 with the exo on 1 base changes.
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    The current build is seeing a lot of very short (under 10 minutes) and very long (over 1 hour) games

It's probably a good sign that the game's balance has really come around, but will make it much harder to add new content in the future
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    DarkflameQ wrote: »
    I found out last night i accidentally recorded last part of our 2 hour game (no wonder i had super lag in the last hour of the game, lol),
    but last 5 minutes of the match is missing however :(

It's still a fun watch.
  • HammerTwentyTwoHammerTwentyTwo Join Date: 2005-04-19 Member: 48892Members
    Just commed a ridiculously long 100 minute game on mineshaft. It was the most back and forth game I think I've commed. We must have killed 6 or so hives, we lost operations (our main) then took it back about 20 minutes later. At one point we had sentries all over the map because I thought we were about to win but oh no, bile rush armageddon.

It was pretty fun but I must admit mineshaft, with balanced teams, can marines even win? We couldn't push anywhere without a hail of bile bomb gorges hitting one of our main bases. We even had devoted duel exo/jp marine guards but it was not enough and I found myself beaconing constantly.

Perhaps we needed to kill a hive, then beacon, kill another but it just seemed impossible, especially with the slow arcs. Anyway, not to moan, it was pretty fun.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    Those sort of games are fun if you are there from the start. Coming in half way through its just frustrating to wait 30+ minutes to play a round from minute 0.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    We had an 80 minute competitive round on Saturday. My first competitive match (and the first round). It was more intense than the ~2h games I've played by an incredible amount. Thankfully the later rounds were much shorter!
  • RicezRicez Join Date: 2013-04-13 Member: 184784Members
    Had a 70+ minute game on mineshaft, I got bored and left. Just chasing eachother around the map.

The game does feel more balanced, but also aliens feel a lot weaker mid and late game. It's all downhill from fade-explosion time.

IMO Alien tech comes too late now, and rine tech is too early in comparison.
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    sry newbs, but thats not a long game...
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited July 2013
    Ricez wrote: »
    Had a 70+ minute game on mineshaft, I got bored and left. Just chasing eachother around the map.

The game does feel more balanced, but also aliens feel a lot weaker mid and late game. It's all downhill from fade-explosion time.

IMO Alien tech comes too late now, and rine tech is too early in comparison.

8 minute fades come too late now? All downhill from there? What about bilebomb and umbra on one hive? Not saying late game alien tech isn't a bit underwhelming (weak onos, weak 3rd hive abilities), but I wouldn't exactly say alien tech comes later now than pre-b250, as it's quite the opposite.
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    The current build is seeing a lot of very short (under 10 minutes) and very long (over 1 hour) games

It's probably a good sign that the game's balance has really come around, but will make it much harder to add new content in the future

No, its a sign of the massive imbalance introduced by the poorly tested balance test. Almost 100% of those very long games are marines on one techpoint, aliens on the rest, turtling for 30+ minutes. Its ridiculous.
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    have you ever played ns1? just a question...
  • RicezRicez Join Date: 2013-04-13 Member: 184784Members
    There are 2 sorts of long games. Those where marines are pinned on one base and it's just a matter of Aliens not being able to quickly finish it. And those games where you move around the map capturing eachothers tech points - usually 2 tech points for rines.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @derWalter - 80 mins is long for a competitive game! Of course I've had considerably longer pub games, but I can say with confidence that they pale in comparison in terms of adrenaline rush and enjoyment. Not that longer games = better games, mind...
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Roobubba wrote: »
    We had an 80 minute competitive round on Saturday. My first competitive match (and the first round). It was more intense than the ~2h games I've played by an incredible amount. Thankfully the later rounds were much shorter!

The games in question:

Bus Drivers vs Midgets with Crew Cuts
    Round 1 - 78 min
    Round 2 - 44 min
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Mattk50 wrote: »

No, its a sign of the massive imbalance introduced by the poorly tested balance test. Almost 100% of those very long games are marines on one techpoint, aliens on the rest, turtling for 30+ minutes. Its ridiculous.

Wut? 100% huh?... Maybe for you..
    I've had plenty of long games that were back and forth, great balanced fun, and only the occasional turtle.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited July 2013
    Ricez wrote: »

That's usually my experience in pubs. Long games are probably the worst since it usually means both teams are frighteningly terrible and they can't work together to accomplish anything. Cycling frags around edges of claimed territory in a (stupid fade|onos goes into 8 marine bads, stupid exo|jetpacker goes into 8 alien bads)*1000 for an hour is hardly my idea of "fun." And that's most of what "long pub games" are. Not always, but most.

I think I've had a couple of games where both teams were actually good, there was teamwork and communication, and the cycling was of tech points. I think. And I've played 1100+ hours now.

Nevertheless, my enjoyment drops pretty rapidly after the 15th minute of the game. The excitement for me is the "progression" part; the build order, the encounters until all tech is researched, and the ultimate capitalization on RT dominance of a win, i.e. getting X tech/upgrade before the other team gets Y, and actually utilizing it promptly and properly to tip the scales. Losing is OK too :-) . When all tech is researched and it becomes a grind, I'd rather surrender than waste my time though. Maybe it's just me.

I keep coming back though, idk why...