DOT Vision

AlkixAlkix Join Date: 2013-07-10 Member: 186046Members
Developers, or anyone who knows:

Is Damage over time through attacks like bile bomb, spores, and flame throwers meant to provide location information about the affected target, or is that something that is just accepted for the sake of showing damage on the screen?

I personally like it, but am just curious as to your thoughts.

Comments

• douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've noticed this, and I believe it actually causes a bit of a problem since it always points in the direction of the attacker. for example, if lerk gasses an area and flys around the corner, a marine standing in the gas can tell where the lerk is even though it's flown away.
  • AlkixAlkix Join Date: 2013-07-10 Member: 186046Members
    Oh wow, I didn't even consider that aspect of it. I was just thinking about how the lerk, in this case, would be able to spot the marine through walls as long as it was taking damage, but it sort of goes both ways.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Yes its a known bug. :)
    So is DOT hit indicators showing the opposite direction for those of us using inverted mice (me!)
  • GavaalGavaal Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185228Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    So is DOT hit indicators showing the opposite direction for those of us using inverted mice (me!)

inverted mouse controls? tsk tsk... you pilot you!
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow

Woah there, sliding a mouse across a two-dimensional surface cannot apply to three-dimensional orientation!

Clearly, you are a witch and must be burned.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2013
    Ha! It is you who commits heresy, with your 2d plane limited thought!! This is not a 2d Web page, but a 3d world!

The mouse controls your head and angle of view - not your body's movement, like your feet, for instance. Right?

Following that thought, try this :
    Keep said feet in place, yet move your head/view and /or angle of body downward as far as you can go.. Now go back as far as you can look or lean...
    Now place your right hand on top of your head while you do this activity, (simulating a mouse) and tell me if your hand moves forward or backward while you look down..

Do you see now, how you have been the backwards thinker this whole time? :-P
    :bz
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    The mouse controls your head and angle of view - not your body's movement, like your feet, for instance. Right?

My mouse2 is jump. Check mate.
    @ghosthree3 not quite. Notice I didn't mention any buttons? Just the axis.

Your move.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ha! It is you who commits heresy, with your 2d plane limited thought!! This is not a 2d Web page, but a 3d world!

Keep said feet in place, yet move your head/view and /or angle of body downward as far as you can go.. Now go back as far as you can look or lean...
    Now place your right hand on top of your head while you do this activity, (simulating a mouse) and tell me if your hand moves forward or backward while you look down..

Your logic is sound, and in fact I use inverted controls with a joystick or console controller.

But sliding a mouse across the desk? My brain forces it into a 2D plane. Clearly this means that I am correct and everyone in the world is wrong!
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow

Ppffff you, stuck in your puny 3 dimensions + time. The world is clearly at least 17-dimensional.

Bloody Part Timers.
  • ChrisAUSChrisAUS Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172108Members
    Plus those of us who use inverted axis start the game with our heads held high, looking to the mighty battle gods for support, while 'normal' users already look to the ground in defeat.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter

I always thought that you are not leaning your character's head with your hand, but pointing him politely where to look.