Why your bites miss and other collision weirdness

philoglphilogl Join Date: 2012-10-24 Member: 163529Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver
edited July 2013 in Technical Support
Putting game balance and everything else aside, at its most basic level, NS2 is a game where dogs bite guys. When the dog has to struggle to bite the guy it can make for some pretty frustrating game play. There are many elements that make this simple game play element frustrating, but I believe at the heart of it all is a fundamentally broken collision system. I've been meaning to make a thread on this for a while and what you see in this video is by no means an exhaustive list of everything wrong with collision, merely a collection of a few of the more weird and irritating ones that will occur in a regular game.

Also this is still possible.

Comments

• MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    edited July 2013
    Having a little bit of lag that makes it so you bounce off a dodging marine (and essentially get 2-3 automatic misses) is incredibly bad

Getting a free 10 foot skulk bite after landing an initial blow or touching a marine is about as bad though since now the opposite happens
    (Marine has no prayer of getting out of bite range)

It doesn't happen too often, but when it does happen it's immediately gamebreaking even if it's just for one death during a match

Edits: I haven't seen skybox jumping since the original Counter Strike. . . that's pretty amusing though that it's still in modern games
  • VenatosVenatos Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149762Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    lol, how did you do that? is that a mod?
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Venatos wrote: »
    lol, how did you do that? is that a mod?
    It's not a mod. Just a byproduct/bug of ns2's not so good collision system.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    To be perfectly honest, I don't think the collision issues will ever be fixed.
  • ZaliZali Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185668Members
    Something seems different about collision in build 250. I get stuck in marines heads a lot as a skulk, as well as stuck much easier on ceilings especially in doorways.
  • FrustrationFrustration Join Date: 2013-01-19 Member: 180628Members
    It seems my raging has some good reasons behind it.
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    Onos poles been fixed long ago. Jumping from a marine is a game mechanic that makes pretty cool dodging for the skulk with the walljump; if you know how it works.
    Holding ctrl makes skulk drop from walls/marines if you really have to spam jump+attack on em.
    It would be nice that they explained the mechanics so that people wouldn't think that they are bugs.

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2013
    That first clip would have been way more helpful if we could see both players' ping. (net_stats at a minimum)

That sticky collision is indeed suspect.
    Gj and thanks!
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    IronHorse wrote: »
    That first clip would have been way more helpful if we could see both players' ping. (net_stats at a minimum)

That sticky collision is indeed suspect.
    Gj and thanks!
    The first clip has both players at low ping to low ping. Think like 30's-40's or so, and server is 30 tickrate as well. This is a common place happening since the beginning of time regardless of ping.
  • 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    @Matso
    Enough silly excuses already. Get back to work and make it happen. :p
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • TeranovaTeranova Join Date: 2013-03-10 Member: 183843Members
    Basicly, matso just explained the theory of relativity, in a not too huge post. Glad to see some intelligent people on the forums!
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Teranova wrote: »
    Basicly, matso just explained the theory of relativity, in a not too huge post. Glad to see some intelligent people on the forums!

It will take more than just one mere man to raise the average IQ around here! Especially with plebs like myself! *Evil laughter and hand wringing*
  • CataclyzmCataclyzm Join Date: 2005-01-06 Member: 33031Members
    0ni wrote: »
    @Matso
    Enough silly excuses already. Get back to work and make it happen. :p
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    @matso makes great posts

@Matso
    My brain exploded. Thanks-a-lot.
    edited July 2013
    matso wrote: »
    Yea, the sky-climbing is due to how the game avoids having players getting stuck in each other.
    Right, that much is understandable. Since collisions are predicted you ultimately have bugs where players are able to have non-sensical "two way" collision interaction i.e. sky climbing.

However, excuse me if i'm being ignorant, but what it doesn't seem to explain are the problems you see in the first video. The very first example where it's a 'one way' collision interaction, as the skulk is not causing any collision consequence for the marine running away (because it is approaching from behind). You'll notice the skulk actually micro jittering back and forth off the marine as if it's being corrected, and then totally bouncing off/slowing down. Doesn't this suggest that collision prediction is actually not working smoothly or reliably enough?
  • XoPhyteXoPhyte Join Date: 2013-05-31 Member: 185431Members

While it _could_ be fixed (basically, if you collide with a player, you could check the speed of the collided-with player and possibly soften the collision a bit) the resulting code could get a bit hairy. But there is a lot of hairy people at UWE, so they might do something about it.

First, fantastic thread by philogl! Rather then just a complaint, there is a detailed video, just true awesomeness.

As to the above quote from Matso, yeah, I would think that the colliding player from behind (Player B) would have their speed reduced to the speed of the player running away (player A). Perhaps a slight penalty, but going to 0 is a bit silly.

Also the ability to climb marines is a bit odd. Couldn't it be limited to the same lifeforms, therefore an alien could "sky climb" an alien, but not a marine?
  • ukeuke Join Date: 2013-07-01 Member: 185840Members
    XoPhyte wrote: »
    First, fantastic thread by philogl! Rather then just a complaint, there is a detailed video, just true awesomeness.

As to the above quote from Matso, yeah, I would think that the colliding player from behind (Player B) would have their speed reduced to the speed of the player running away (player A). Perhaps a slight penalty, but going to 0 is a bit silly.
    Agree with that.
    But climbing marines is useful i think if you're dropping on his head to bite him and not sliding off but maybe the climbing is the cause of the speed becoming 0 as some sort of wallfriction.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    So if you are running behind someone that are moving just slightly slower than you, you will sooner or later collide with him. Player collision bodies are cylinders (or spheres for skulks) and there is a bit of sliding allowed...

I don't think players are cylinders. The feel like capsules or prolate spheroids. If they were cylinders, jumping ontop of objects would be more consistent and standing on a fence without sliding off would be trival.
    but if you are running right up into his but, you will pretty much stop dead, loose all speed and all momentum, and will have to accelerate again from pretty much a stand still.

This is a known issue that occurs in many games. It even occurs with non-player objects, like elevators and trains.

Soft collisions is a tried and true solution.Obviously higher tick rates, lower interp, lower latency in general help, but that's hard to achieve.

You might be able to store the speed of objects (assuming constant speed during the player movement) and resolve collisions a little more intelligently so that you're not slowed down to a stand still running into the butt of a slightly slower player, but I think soft collisions seem easier to make robust and free of nasty corner cases.