Echo'ing eggs to cloaked locations

tk-421tk-421 Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58315Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited July 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Hey all,

Just something fun I've been trying over the past few days on some pub servers - only three simple steps.

1) Place a shade somewhere on your infestation close to an enemy position or in a strategic location (try to tuck the shade away into a corner or against the wall).

2) Build a shift in the middle of your egg spawning location at the hive.

3) Echo eggs from your hive(s) to the cloaked location for a constant stream of aliens seemingly appearing out of no-where.

Out of the dozens of games played since 250 - I haven't seen a single other commander try this so I figured I'd post here.

A few tips if you're going to try this - be sure to place your shifts at base in the middle of your egg spawning area, as to allow for the greatest chance to have an egg spawn within the range of the "echo" command. Also, I tend to hotkey both the hives (1,2,3, etc) and the shifts (as 5,6,7, etc, one per hive). This makes it easy to quickly echo eggs around the map AND if there are no eggs available, you can click the hive (e.g. 1) then spawn eggs and quickly click the hotkey'ed shift at that hive (e.g. 5) to echo a newly spawned egg.

One other note - I usually do not place crags or shifts at the "forward base shade" location to discourage friendlies from returning and possibly revealing its location. These other forward structures get placed at a close-by location.

The ability to place both shades / shifts immediately (due to 250 changes) makes this strategy much more viable than in 249.

Comments

• JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Does it prioritize echo'd eggs though? A problem that has always been present with shift eggs, especially with multiple hives is that you have no control over where the aliens will actually spawn.
  • tk-421tk-421 Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58315Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Jekt wrote: »
    Does it prioritize echo'd eggs though? A problem that has always been present with shift eggs, especially with multiple hives is that you have no control over where the aliens will actually spawn.

This is an excellent question, and I'm not completely sure I know yet but - it would appear that there is a greater-than-normal chance of having the next wave spawn from these echo'ed eggs. However, it could also be I'm only noticing people spawn from these eggs since I'm watching them more closely.

If any dev's or anyone who has insight would like to answer this, it would be most appreciated.

• MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    What's the cost for echo nowdays?

Not sure if there's a point building a shade. Marines almost always spot it if they take a nearby cyst down, (woops a cloaked cyst starts bleeding and reveals itself, marine asks for scan), and marines will spot the eggs if they're there anyway, and if they're not, there's no need for shade either... Mind, I haven't tried any of this this patch lol, I'm just theorycrafting.
  • GoldenGolden Join Date: 2004-09-01 Member: 31169Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    For bigger lols, build a gorge tunnel somewhere marines don't walk and drop a shade on the infestation it generates. Echo the eggs in there. Thus marines can't be alerted by the presence of a cloaked cyst chain.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    edited July 2013
    NS2 always prioritizes the eggs that are closest to the last enemy contact, or something like this. Well it has to do with the enemy's location, so getting eggs closer to the enemy will make aliens spawn there (don't know the actual code).
    Before 250 you would place shifts at strategic locations and spawn eggs. I thought with 250 that would be gone, which is very sad. But thanks for the workaround tk. Awesome!

• MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    Gorge Tunnels are more efficient. . .
    Just 20 res for no limit transport instead of 50 res for your first 5 eggs and doesn't require a cyst chain or committing to a hive tech route

Some maps have excellent locations and don't require cloak because the GTs are simply out of reach

Sending a bunch of eggs to the farthest front line cyst during a bigger push is worth while. . .
    I'd just go with something more substantial if you're trying to maintain a forward base and are pressuring instead of going for a spike
  • tk-421tk-421 Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58315Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just 20 res for no limit transport instead of 50 res for your first 5 eggs and doesn't require a cyst chain or committing to a hive tech route

Some maps have excellent locations and don't require cloak because the GTs are simply out of reach

Sending a bunch of eggs to the farthest front line cyst during a bigger push is worth while. . .
    I'd just go with something more substantial if you're trying to maintain a forward base and are pressuring instead of going for a spike

I'd agree, the tunnels are always extremely useful. Cost-to-benefit I might put them above eggs most of the time.

However, I find egg echo'ing helpful in pub servers where it's not always easy to coerce players to defend important locations (akin to "herding cats" or something of that nature). Forcing the players to spawn on the front line is awesome for holding chokepoints.

But yes, just like you said, tunnels are great for a long term solution while echo'ing eggs is more dynamic and spontaneous. It is nice to have the shift in your base on standby, just in case you need to start sending eggs somewhere.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited July 2013

Where are you getting your numbers? A shift costs 10, each egg echos for 2 and the shift-hive upgrade costs 10. The first 5 eggs then cost 30, and two thirds of that is one-time only.

I still think the egg echo is a little off balance. At the very least the per-egg should be reduced down to 1 res instead of 2 like all the other echo costs. It's not like the shift is producing eggs. Of course, they could actually make the shift egg echo produce new eggs instead of taking ones nearby, that might make it worth the extra.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    You gotta build a shift anyway for leap tho, so that's kinda off the price.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    countbasie wrote: »
    NS2 always prioritizes the eggs that are closest to the last enemy contact, or something like this. Well it has to do with the enemy's location, so getting eggs closer to the enemy will make aliens spawn there (don't know the actual code).
    Unless it was changed in the BT mod, (and thus 250) the only thing that gave priority to where you spawned as an alien, was if your hive was attacked.

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    My understanding for egg priority is:
    1. Spawned eggs
    2. Eggs at hive under attack
    3. All other eggs (not sure how it chooses your first egg spawn with multiple hives)