Aliens vs. Marines, new build 250 is broken!

MontypMontyp Join Date: 2013-04-22 Member: 184930Members
This is 1 mans perspective on build 250,

Aliens upgraded with 3 hives 630 Res
Marines upgraded with 2 Chairs fully upgraded 575 Res

If Aliens lose a base it costs 90 Res (or 150 if 3 Spurs/Veils/Shells get killed.) (Not including crags, shifts of shades that we're present in the base.)
If marines lose a full base, to rebuild it costs 80 Res. (15 phase, 20 obs, 15 chair, 10 armory, 20 IP) Less if you just want to get a beacon base. (Phase, Obs, Chair)

So in summation, Marines lose very few upgrades, Aliens tend to lose ALOT more, When a hive goes down they lose biomass (health and access to upgrades). When a Marine loses a Command Chair they lose a foothold in the map, and it costs them next to nothing to rebuild, the only access to upgrades they lose is access to Dual Exo's.

This is not balanced game play, it encourages early rushes at the beginning to just get the game over with. On the flip side, if you don't rush as Marines they just need to hold onto 2-3 extractors. If they can do this, they will end up with more than enough res to have full upgrades by 15 minutes (that means Exo's).

Once the game gets to the 30 minute mark, if Aliens have been unable to reduce the marines extractors to 1-2 the game then becomes a landslide of marine tech, Exos, grenade launchers and Arcs. I've recovered from a losing game as marines just because we had 4 Exos in an 8v8, Marine com jumped into an Exo while we pushed, sacrificed himself chasing a final Onos, and dropped a full phase in the forward base we just reclaimed.

So on the flip-side as Aliens, it seems to be angled towards Marines. Aliens even when they are CRUSHING, working together, hitting res nodes and keeping the Marines contained! You're doin' great! Somehow the Marines, keep leveling up. They now have more deadly weapons, Phase Gates in areas you were sure were once secured. Also weapons that can't be countered, Grenades can now be used to counter whips instead of the other way around... Which sucks, Flamethrowers counter basically everything else, kills bile, spores, umbra and energy.

Marines can thrive off of 3 res towers, this game is about Endurance for Marines not early decisive strategy.
Aliens need a minimum of 4-5 res towers to survive, while keeping the Marines Res towers down.

Marines have access to advanced weapons which have no counter
Aliens have advanced lifeforms which are one time use only, a Grenade launcher unloaded at an Onos will ruin even the most well prepared Aliens day.

Marines have 1 structure to upgrade that costs 20 Res, if one is destroyed you build another no harm no foul, only thing you lose is the time it takes to rebuild
Aliens require Hives that (cost 90 res) and 3 upgrade structures per Hive (costs 20 res Each) Aliens require that you rebuild all of these structures which require the use of drifters (5TRes) or a gorge (5-14 PRes)

Marines can have any upgrade their heart desires from 1 Command Chair sans Dual Exos
Aliens require 2-3 hives to have the majority of useful upgrades, without the hives they lose health and access to upgrades.

Marines that lose a chair are punished by not having access to dual exos ^^
Aliens are punished by being unable to access any upgrades ^^ (had to be said twice!)

Marines have a counter for ALL Alien attacks
Aliens have no counter for grenades

Marine Commander can drop Weapons and Exos INSTANTLY at no additional cost spending TeamRes
Aliens Kahmmanders can drop Eggs for advanced life forms at significant additional costs using TeamRes plus the double gestation time once to build the egg (which is unable to be sped up, then again once someone jumps in the egg.

The games are longer but a lot less exciting, I adore a lot of the changes but because this is coming as a 1/1 transfer from a mod called Balance Test Mod. But just using the couple things listed above, its clear to see that the majority of changes have unbalanced to game to almost be unrecognizable. After the Gorgeous update the game had a tit-for-tat, in build 250 Marines are able to crush using early advanced weapons that have no counter. I want this game to be fun for both sides playing, not to feel like no matter what I'm doing I'm losing until the 30 minute mark when my team has maxed out upgrades and I can get enough lifeforms/weapons on the field.

I love NS2, I've played since NS1 and I know its gone through ALOT of changes, its one of the things that make this game great. Turning the game into something that feels like I'm grinding rather than making Strategic moves.
It used to be a game of chess, now it feels like we're breakin' rocks until one side messes up.
Balance needs to be revisited soon

Comments

• BobRossTheBossBobRossTheBoss Join Date: 2012-12-31 Member: 176824Members
    edited July 2013
    Now that exos are cheaper both in tech and res as well as faster in general they seem to be a lot more deadly than they used to be, even with the reduced health and reliance on upgrades. This becomes a horrible combination when paired with all of the newer players, as it is a lot easier to learn how to handle exos as compared to higher lifeforms. The speed helps mitigate the mobility problems of exos, making counterattacks less potent for newer alien players as well. This is resulting in landslides against newer and even experienced aliens (who are still getting used to the patch) alike once 3-5 of the marines jump in the awesome mechwarrior suits.

My question is what kind of impression does this leave on newer players about the alien team when (to them) it seems like aliens can do nothing against a death march of 3-5 exos after a certain point? My best solution has been to try and rally the aliens to get as many gorges as exos and go to town on their base/the exos, but even then they drop like flies due to inexperience and feel like they can't do anything. Meanwhile when they join marines and jump into exosuits they are able to do a lot better.
  • KattcattisKattcattis Join Date: 2013-01-31 Member: 182683Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've also been bugged by the cost an alien commander have to do for upgrades and such, biomass and dropping 3 shell/spur/veil to get the full potential of an upgrade.
    And also have trouble with GL's. If used right it's really hard to counter GL's and your health as alien goes down way to fast I find myself fleeing the room if being a small lifeform
  • MontypMontyp Join Date: 2013-04-22 Member: 184930Members
    Even larger life forms struggle with GL's, grenade launchers have no counter, 5 grenades kill any Onos or a GL supporting an exo is deadly. There's no defense against GL
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2013
    Maybe do something where Marines also have to drop 3 arms labs in order to get armor weapons 3. Since right now, all they have to do is drop another one and they have full upgrades again. Lower the cost by 33% to make up for having 3. I also agree Aliens have nothing to counter FT or GL right now. Whips deflecting GL's definitely should be put back in. Makes no sense why that was removed. Was perfectly reasonable.
    Possibly make it so in order to get weapons 3 armor 3 a second chair is required.
    Drifters being able to be camo should come back too. Even if it needs to be an upgrade per drifter.
  • CodeineCodeine Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75155Members
    My question is what kind of impression does this leave on newer players about the alien team when (to them) it seems like aliens can do nothing against a death march of 3-5 exos after a certain point? My best solution has been to try and rally the aliens to get as many gorges as exos and go to town on their base/the exos, but even then they drop like flies due to inexperience and feel like they can't do anything. Meanwhile when they join marines and jump into exosuits they are able to do a lot better.

I've got 350+ hrs in NS2 and it feels like that to me, Aliens feel and seem too weak and i spend most of my time complaining then enjoying the game. The match is still determined in the first 10mins of the game, might aswell leave now when you know who's gonna win at this time.

I really have no hope for this game anymore, there was once a time where i believed UWE will get it right, but its still not there.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    In week 2 of the BT cup, aliens won 75% of matches

http://www.ensl.org/articles/801
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I feel that the marine Arms Lab system is the most flawed design in the game.

Arms Labs are relative cheap to build, and multiple Arms Labs can be built in multiple locations to provide backup. Although the upgrades Arms Labs offer are expensive, they can be researched on one base, allowing marines to scale extremely well without suffering significant drawbacks (unlike the alien hive upgrade system).

I would suggest making Weapons and Armour level 3 upgrades require at least 2 Command Stations to research and maintain. Marine one-base defense, as well as come-back are too strong at the moment.
  • RabidWeaselRabidWeasel Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5337Members
    Flamer/GL tech speed is absolutely 100% going to get nerfed so that will stop some of the uber fast rushing, other than that I think that the problem is most likely that aliens are super reliant on having gorges to take down marine bases and people don't want to play as the slow fat guy who gets chased and shot at all the time, or they just don't realise that they're not just there to healspray up fades. They're also the best counter to arcs and mass exos.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Mavick wrote: »
    One thing I can say with certainty after playing all weekend is that aliens are losing more. However, it doesn't mean they're weaker. I saw games where aliens had a huge overwhelming advantage (like having marines pinned in their base with only 1/2 res towers) and just generally ahead. Aliens still managed to lose by marines slowly sitting in base and acquiring exo's without losing them or putting them at risk.

The problem here, like I said, isn't that aliens are weaker. The problem *I* saw was both of these games had at least 5 green players or more who had now idea how to group up and slap together gorge/onos/lerk(with umbra) teams to go smash down bases. They all just kind of randomly ran around the map doing whatever. One random onos would go running into the marine base just to die. This would go on and on until the marines would manage to kill enough onos and then they'd push out and kill a base, and on and on.

You see, it's absolutely impossible to slap a judgement on the patch right now. There's just FAR too many new players who's lack of experience is giving the aliens a false rep. I played on alien teams with a few good players on both sides and we still managed to win. It all just comes down to getting new players willing to listen and work together and communicate.

You'll see what I mean after a few weeks.

I think you absolutely hit the nail on the head here. Although I reckon the onos is too weak still, but otherwise, yeah it's mostly people not knowing wth to do as aliens!

Roo
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited July 2013
    Montyp wrote: »
    Even larger life forms struggle with GL's, grenade launchers have no counter, 5 grenades kill any Onos or a GL supporting an exo is deadly. There's no defense against GL

This is wrong. It takes 11 grenades (direct hits) to kill an onos with 1 biomass and no carapace. With max biomass/carapace it takes 15, and with regen instead it might be closer to 18.

This is actually noticably weaker than the other marine weapons. A shotgun at w3 can kill that same 1bio onos in 9 shots which are obviously MUCH faster, and a flamethrower can do about 80% of the onos life in one can.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    What Mavick said. This was a massive game-changing patch and people are rushing to a conclusion before half the community has even gotten used to the changes. That on top of the discount weekend Steam sale. Give it time. There are going to be flaws in build 250. Lets just give it a bit before we all start throwing out W/L stats and such.
  • frmehefrmehe Join Date: 2012-07-08 Member: 153980Members
    i stopped playing the game, if i play, then it will be marine side, but it's not that fun as it's on alienside.
  • king_yoking_yo Join Date: 2009-04-15 Member: 67192Members, WC 2013 - Shadow
    You forgot to count meds and ammo for marines. It does take a LOT of res. Also if marines are just holding 2/3 res and camping, aliens can just expand on the whole map, while constantly attacking those poor 2/3 rts. This is definitly not a good strategy, even for public.
  • ChikunChikun Join Date: 2013-01-10 Member: 178729Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2013
    I've won every alien game I've played so far. You people just need better leadership skills to rally the hivemind. If you notice no one is playing as a gorge or lerk guess what, it's on you. No one likes being told what they should play as but saying "guys sit here and wait and when I say go we hit them like their sultry mother" is generally better recieved than "hey n00b, play this lifeform because I don't want to".

If you don't play to win, it isn't hard to figure out that you probably won't win. Besides, playing as a gorge is awesome. Getting the best score while going 0-0? Hell yeah.
  • frmehefrmehe Join Date: 2012-07-08 Member: 153980Members
    Chikun wrote: »
    I've won every alien game I've played so far.
    troll found, targeting troll, FIRE, troll dead.

• peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    edited July 2013
    From what I can make of NS2 Stats, so far it's 45.5% Alien victories v 54.5% Marine victories.

Compared with build 249: 57.5% Alien v 42.5% Marine

• MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72593Members
    edited July 2013
    Marines can easily rush a tech if they need the counter, but aliens may have to build up a ton of biomass first

The old alien strats where you could rush gas, rush xenocide, etc are completely gone
    The lack of strats means that the Marine team can very easily predict what you're going to do next and counter it ahead of time

On top of it Marines have new strategies (like ignoring WPN damage upgrades and going for flame/GL with only +Armor)
    Scouting is also way down on aliens side. . . you may completely blow out a tech point and 2 minutes later it's all rebuilt if nobody was camping it

I've been in games where you could not stop the ninja phase gates going up (map made it impossible to cover every route)
    It's very, very easy for Marines to keep aliens on the backfoot the whole game even if they were losing for the first 15 minutes as OP says

Not all bad though. . . lifeforms being cheaper can surprise the marines at how fast you can get basic stuff out
    Egg lock rarely happens any longer and you can also work any low biomass level-required tech immediately

Marines can still be blown out if aliens walk into their base via the one route they didn't send guys at the start

Balance is going to probably need a gentle touch for a bit now that so many new users are on, but I'm going to keep watching how the resource game unfolds. . .
    Fade eggs costing 70 res basically made me yack
    Marines can easily rush a tech if they need the counter, but aliens may have to build up a ton of biomass first

The old alien strats where you could rush gas, rush xenocide, etc are completely gone
    The lack of strats means that the Marine team can very easily predict what you're going to do next and counter it ahead of time

On top of it Marines have new strategies (like ignoring WPN damage upgrades and going for flame/GL with only +Armor)
    Scouting is also way down on aliens side. . . you may completely blow out a tech point and 2 minutes later it's all rebuilt if nobody was camping it

I've been in games where you could not stop the ninja phase gates going up (map made it impossible to cover every route)
    It's very, very easy for Marines to keep aliens on the backfoot the whole game even if they were losing for the first 15 minutes as OP says

Not all bad though. . . lifeforms being cheaper can surprise the marines at how fast you can get basic stuff out
    Egg lock rarely happens any longer and you can also work any low biomass level-required tech immediately

Marines can still be blown out if aliens walk into their base via the one route they didn't send guys at the start

Balance is going to probably need a gentle touch for a bit now that so many new users are on, but I'm going to keep watching how the resource game unfolds. . .

I think one thing aliens desperately need back is the cloaking drifters. Without that aliens have too hard a time figuring out what is going on in their own areas. It's not just that drifters are too easy to kill, but because the marines can see drifters they know exactly when they are and aren't being watched. Combine that with being able to build on infestation and there's basically nothing aliens can do to prevent backdooring.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    sotanaht wrote: »

I think one thing aliens desperately need back is the cloaking drifters. Without that aliens have too hard a time figuring out what is going on in their own areas. It's not just that drifters are too easy to kill, but because the marines can see drifters they know exactly when they are and aren't being watched. Combine that with being able to build on infestation and there's basically nothing aliens can do to prevent backdooring.

If the drifter dies, then you know marines are in that room. You should also have skulks canvasing the map. No need to go back to fire and forget scouting. It was bad for gameplay in my opinion.
    edited July 2013
    Industry wrote: »

If the drifter dies, then you know marines are in that room. You should also have skulks canvasing the map. No need to go back to fire and forget scouting. It was bad for gameplay in my opinion.

Except that the marine knows there's a drifter in the room, or more importantly, he knows there's NOT a drifter in the room and hes free to put up a phase gate or camp a resource nozzle with little fear of being molested. There's no way for the alien team to scout the entire map, even their own territory, continuously.

Marines don't have any of that worry. At worst, aliens can mass outside a marine bass outside obs range, but the moment they enter they show up on the obs and the comm can beacon.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited July 2013

Except that the marine knows there's a drifter in the room, or more importantly, he knows there's NOT a drifter in the room and hes free to put up a phase gate or camp a resource nozzle with little fear of being molested. There's no way for the alien team to scout the entire map continuously.

Marines don't have any of that worry. At worst, aliens can mass outside a marine bass outside obs range, but the moment they enter they show up on the obs and the comm can beacon.

The problem is that building is loud and can be heard from a pretty obscene distance. There are a ton of cues the alien team can use to prevent these "ninja" situations. Prior builds it was a small res investment for a scout who could potentially never die. Where as the marine equivalent is a temporary scan with a small res cost or a larger investment for an obs that is stationary and tells the alien that they are being watched with a HUD effect. I don't think aliens should be able to plop an AI unit in a room and be able to watch marines all day long without them having any clue.

The use of drifters pre250 (when commanders actually used them) was like infestation granting vision in the beta levels of lame. They even surpassed it by allowing vision in marine "territory".
    edited July 2013
    Industry wrote: »

Except that the marine knows there's a drifter in the room, or more importantly, he knows there's NOT a drifter in the room and hes free to put up a phase gate or camp a resource nozzle with little fear of being molested. There's no way for the alien team to scout the entire map continuously.

The problem is that building is loud and can be heard from a pretty obscene distance. There are a ton of cues the alien team can use to prevent these "ninja" situations. Prior builds it was a small res investment for a scout who could potentially never die. Where as the marine equivalent is a temporary scan with a small res cost or a larger investment for an obs that is stationary and tells the alien that they are being watched with a HUD effect. I don't think aliens should be able to plop an AI unit in a room and be able to watch marines all day long without them having any clue.

The use of drifters pre250 (when commanders actually used them) was like infestation granting vision in the beta levels of lame. They even surpassed it by allowing vision in marine "territory".

Clues if aliens are in the area, which is basically asking half the team to be goofing off around their own bases at all times, aliens have a LOT of ground to cover. They also don't have a whole lot of time, and with things being buildable on infestation now they can't even cover their ass that way either.

Remember drifter vision is relatively short range and line of sight only. Observatories have a much greater radius and see through all walls, plus aliens have nothing they can do in a marine base except attack.
  • AlregardAlregard Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156903Members
    Have to agree, Drifter were nice scouts... and I dont like needing the drifterbuildersystem. Why is the asymmetrie gone in the buildingsystem?
  • VenatosVenatos Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149762Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    its way to early to call anything on 250, especialy in pub-play, i myself only got a few hours of 250 under my belt like many of the pre-250 pub-playerbase. throw in 30% new players and you get very uncoordinated games where everything can happen. from what i saw in the bt-mod-cup after players settle into it, its pretty balanced.
  • culpritculprit Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33527Members, Constellation
    I think 250 and the influx of new players have certainly caused some diminished alien play. Aliens need teamplay to succeed, much like the marines. The difference is that alien teamplay is much more fluid compared to the very structured teamplay of marines. This means that new players can work pretty effectively on a marine team, but seriously hinder an alien team if they are not actively coached.

The power of 1 comm station marines certainly needs to be reconsidered. JPs and railgun EXOs might be ok, but the damage output of even a single minigun EXO is pretty considerable. The ArmsLab is another issue that needs to be reassessed. Aliens can be cut down on biomass, upgrades and abilities - all taking considerable time and res to rebuild. Marines can rebuild and retain all upgrades with minimal res expense in very little time. Perhaps a lose of ArmsLab should remove one level of upgrades (A2/W3 ArmsLab destroyed would result in instant change to A1/W2). This way, losing multiple ArmsLabs would be a significant hit to marines upgrades requiring new research and res expense. It would make the targeting of an ArmsLab have more significance than just a bit of res and build time.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Just going to post to comment on this part:
    Marines can thrive off of 3 res towers, this game is about Endurance for Marines not early decisive strategy.
    Aliens need a minimum of 4-5 res towers to survive, while keeping the Marines Res towers down.
    This is simply not true, marines COULD tech up off 3 res towers, it'd be slow as hell and they'd have to never lose any, but yes they could, but they can't thrive off less than 5.
    Aliens do NOT need 4-5 res nodes, they can still sit on 3 quite happily and get all their tech without issues.
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Just going to post to comment on this part:
    This is simply not true, marines COULD tech up off 3 res towers, it'd be slow as hell and they'd have to never lose any, but yes they could, but they can't thrive off less than 5.
    Aliens do NOT need 4-5 res nodes, they can still sit on 3 quite happily and get all their tech without issues.

Do you just make shit up as you go? Aliens need more res, not less, it's a proven fact if you look at the costs across the board. Marines not only use less res to build everything they need, but they also can skip 2/3rds of their tech tree if they are stuck in a base and have a particular strategy in mind. Aliens do NOT get that luxury.
    Clues if aliens are in the area, which is basically asking half the team to be goofing off around their own bases at all times, aliens have a LOT of ground to cover. They also don't have a whole lot of time, and with things being buildable on infestation now they can't even cover their ass that way either.

Remember drifter vision is relatively short range and line of sight only. Observatories have a much greater radius and see through all walls, plus aliens have nothing they can do in a marine base except attack.

No all it takes is one skulk. No need to have the whole team doing it unless he/she finds something. Marines also build 25% slower on infestation and infestation damages the armor of structures. Phase gate health was also nerfed in 250 for just this reason.