Linux Server Release Announced but, Windows Emulation!?

2»

Comments

• syserrorsyserror Join Date: 2007-08-09 Member: 61840Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    tagwolf wrote: »
    I hope to be able to contribute to the community more by bringing up further servers and having more competitive matches.

This is also what I wanted to do, but alas, I am unable to help due to my previously mentioned set-up :(
    (I must be weird but I love setting up servers)
  • tagwolftagwolf SF Bay Area Join Date: 2013-02-01 Member: 182710Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    syserror wrote: »
    I hope to be able to contribute to the community more by bringing up further servers and having more competitive matches.

This is also what I wanted to do, but alas, I am unable to help due to my previously mentioned set-up :(

I *heard* rumors of multithreading server (+linux binaries) being worked on. Though I dunno if that's true. It's exciting either way!
  • MockdotMockdot Join Date: 2007-02-14 Member: 59983Members
  • syserrorsyserror Join Date: 2007-08-09 Member: 61840Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2013

tagwolf said:
    syserror wrote: »

I *heard* rumors of multithreading server (+linux binaries) being worked on. Though I dunno if that's true. It's exciting either way!
    I would imagine the two are closely related, as there is no point rewriting (to optimize) windows-specific code when it is going to have to be rewritten for a linux port, or vice-versa  (unless they are making a completely separate port for linux)

I don't know what VCS they are using, but it would make more sense (to me at least,) to have a cross-platform 'generic' server codebase and then branch/fork from that with platform-specific optimizations.
  • DaniPDaniP Join Date: 2013-06-14 Member: 185555Members
    I am also waiting for a Linux version to run my server and who knows maybe we will get a Linux client aswell ;)

I have a mate who is currently running a 24 slots server using wine on a Linux machine with a i5, and it runs with no choke!
    But, the problem is that you need to setup the X window system and that's something I don't want on my servers.

About Tagwolf's server :
    I am pretty sure it will run a 20-22 slots easily with a single-threaded linux version of the server but I have my doubts if it will be able to handle 24 slots with those older CPUs. But I am also pretty sure devs will release a multi-threaded server version by then so it shouldn't be a problem at all for him to run the full 24 slots!

I do also agree with Tagwolf that you cannot compare a desktop grade CPU to a real server CPU and that a linux version of nearly anything will be less demanding (it always has been for what I used)
    I have been running power desktops with server grade CPUs since I got my dual AMD MP1800 at the end of 2002, which I upgraded to MP2800 a few month later when they came out, and I can tell that there was no comparison possible to desktop grade CPUs back then and there still isn't today. Although I have to admit that the gap between a server grade and desktop grade CPU has become smaller the mainboards for a power desktop or server still make those 'real mean machines'.
    The only reason I recently replaced my power desktop is because I needed better support for recent graphic cards while running games ... miss my power desktop when not gaming :(
  • ZEROibisZEROibis Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69176Members, Constellation
    Multicore support will likely be the largest single performance boost for this game short of reprogramming it in c++. Will be interesting to see when this eventually comes out...
  • ssssss Join Date: 2013-04-08 Member: 184703Members
    DaniP wrote: »
    I have a mate who is currently running a 24 slots server using wine on a Linux machine with a i5, and it runs with no choke!
    But, the problem is that you need to setup the X window system and that's something I don't want on my servers.

You can use Xvfb (X virtual frame buffer) to run the server without requiring a full X-Windows environment using something like this.
    #!/bin/bash
    export DISPLAY=:2
    screen -d -m Xvfb :2 -screen 0 640x480x16
    echo "Booting Screen"
    sleep 10
    cd /path/to/ns2/server
    screen -d -m wine cmd /c "Server.exe <args>"
    echo "Booted ns2 Server"