Rookie Server = ns2_veil only (suggestion)

BalmarkBalmark Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3476Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
Hmm .. for the purpose of 'on sale' weekends .. when alot of new players are expected..

I'd love to make a suggestion that all rookie servers play ns2_veil only for a week or so :P

It's an easy map to learn.. marines start in one location etc. .. aliens come from south, marines come from north .. it'd give new guys to learn game mechanics for a week or so

Might be a new config option for servers to 'adhere to rookie server rules' .. where AWE as part of a patch release could set a timelimit (days after patch was released) for when the 'rookie' map(s) are played before the mapcycle.json gets used .. so server admins might choose to be part of this?

(I know this is an idea & suggestion .. but posting here since it's a week of new sale weekend .. some server admins might think its a good idea and just do it for a week ;) )

Bal

Comments

• TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Veil is one of the least rookie-friendly maps out there. Pick summit instead. Though I think this is a bad idea, new players want to test all of the maps and they have every right to.
  • BalmarkBalmark Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3476Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I think it's the most rookie friendly personally .. very easy to get to grips with .. central double res location .. Marines typically do better on a sale week/weekend and veil imho is an alien friendly map on public servers (unless they get pipeline) so would even out for the week

I don't really mind which, but I'd just say agree on one

Nothing wrong with letting other maps get voted on .. but just default to rookie map until its voted off or change back to rookie map after map is changed from .. Loads of servers would still be there running normally and in 'adhere to rookie rules = false' .. I'd only expect at best about 10% servers doing this

I dunno, I'm just looking to help new lads get used to the game without having to learn loads of new maps at same time ..

If you know 1 map.. it makes the game sooooooooo much easier to play on it.. anyhow, it's just a thought
  • BalmarkBalmark Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3476Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I guess when I say 'rookie friendly' I mean easiest to learn ...
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    I think its a very hard map to play right as marines. Summit or tram seem better
  • cyanidecyanide Join Date: 2013-06-15 Member: 185567Members
    my eyes are burning. Tram is the best beginner map. Summit sucks dick in high pop server with close spawns. inc 2 min egg lock by 20,000 marines.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited June 2013
    cyanide wrote: »
    my eyes are burning. Tram is the best beginner map. Summit sucks dick in high pop server with close spawns. inc 2 min egg lock by 20,000 marines.

From my experience, close spawns almost always suck, no matter the map, be it low pop or high pop servers.

In any case, about OP's suggestion... You don't want to force new players to play thesame map over and over again, as that would only cause frustration. They paid for the full game, they'll want to play whatever map they want.
    edited June 2013
    I agree with you Neoken, but at that stage they can move off rookie servers ;)

I mean there's ALOT to take in with ns2 .. I dont think getting bored of a map would be an issue for the first 10 hours of play tbh .. and if you can get a new player to go 10 hours, they'll have a good grasp of the game

I see rookie as a real rookie .. someone you want to help as much as possible so they'll spend enough time in the game to learn how to play the game
    edited June 2013
    I'm still thinking veil is best .. nice bright map, clearly defined attacks (go south as marine, go north as alien) .. I think a rookie map should have a static marine spawn :P another reason that makes it easier to learn

Er or how about if theres a new map option for a tech point .. there's a few already .. how about 'marine start rookie' ..
    Rookie servers should be 'easier' .. static spawn locations might help there ;) ..

My real thought with this is to make learning maps less of an issue for new players.. a way to make it less daunting .. so it doesn't interfere with learning the game ;) (I know maps are part of it .. but they're all big maps, alot to take in)
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Neoken wrote: »
    cyanide wrote: »

From my experience, close spawns almost always suck, no matter the map, be it low pop or high pop servers.

In any case, about OP's suggestion... You don't want to force new players to play thesame map over and over again, as that would only cause frustration. They paid for the full game, they'll want to play whatever map they want.
    You have no idea for how long (hint: it's measured in years now) I've asked to get rid of the close spawns in the game yet here we are. One day...
  • ChrisAUSChrisAUS Join Date: 2012-11-17 Member: 172108Members
    I doubt people first experiencing the game want to be limited to one map over and over. The only thing that really does is help in learning a map, which generally happens when people take an interest in the game and stick around. If they are just playing to see what it's like then they probably want to experience as much as they can.

Remember when Rail exos were introduced? And you got one and just got pumped up!? That's the best experience rookies can have in terms of wanting to stick around longer. Seeing cool shit in game and having a good time with a friendly community. The map IMO has little to do with early enjoyment.