Welding 24/7

N@uralBornNoobistN@uralBornNoobist Gorge-N-Freeman,2Gorges1Clog Join Date: 2012-12-24 Member: 176138Members
edited June 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
I "like" and only play BT now

However, Relying on teamates to weld 24/7 anything over the initial 30A value is driving me up the wall.
Important to note that before BT I liked to weld other players. Id rather not bother welding anymore...as I know as soon as I weld...il need to "Re-Weld" 2 seconds later. it pushes me away from being a teamplayer...because I know my efforts will be futile.

Aliens not relying on teamates for armour regen.....Balanced?

You might as well only allow Gorge healspray to replace their "protective membrane" "armour values"
see how Alien players would react to that.

Im not a person who thinks I know it all...I clearly dont. Just voicing my opinion which is 1 of infinite possibilities.

Revert Armouries or only allow Alien armour to be repaired by a Gorges healspray/Drifter "as Drifter is more of a living creature rather than a living organism such as a crag...No it Sherlock ^^,

Ns2 is all I practically play..."Brilliant game"...never really played ns1 that much...but I remember it having a "massive impact" on what I thought a decent game actually looked+felt like...regret not playing ns1 more...as you cant go back in time...missed my chance.

Gorge-N-Freeman sighing off......oh its joo...that idiot...yep...this idiot.

Comments

• joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    I agree its dumb. If armories no longer weld, then welders should be free once researched and they should weld at turbo speed. Macs should also stop going into tard-mode when biled.
  • CragChristCragChrist Join Date: 2013-05-15 Member: 185239Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I get that you feel that welding is "futile" but realize that every time you have to weld someone/thing that that one thing you welded may have lived or died depending on whether or not you welded it. There should be some kind of comfort in that, at least for there is for me.

Aliens may not rely on teammates for regen, but it is either an upgrade (which could have been carapace) a gorge (an almost welder only marine, if you wanna compare), or a crag, which is much slower now and costs TRes, just like macs do - marines do have options for these conveniences and maybe we'll see them more often with the changes. It could be that people haven't adapted this into their strategies yet and it may someday happen. However, I like the fact that more people weld now - it's much more than before and more of a "scratch my back I'll scratch yours" kind of deal. Passive teamwork.

Would you prefer a slowly regenerating a1 or a3? That's essentially what aliens are doing when they choose to not rely on teammates for healing, which makes sense due to their mobility. No gorge will keep up with a skulk to heal him, but marines pretty much all run the same speed and when carrying PRes equipment, they tend to be paired.
  • JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
    I can tell you that in NS1, welding was hugely important. Especially in late game. Jetpacks would die to focus fade immediately. Countless matches were lost due to bad welding, not to mention the hilarious rage of CHASING someone with a welder to fricking WELD ME!!
  • ultranewbultranewb Pro Bug Hunter Join Date: 2004-07-21 Member: 30026Members
    Welding hurt things also welds yourself (at a reduced rate), unlike NS1. This, however, isn't going to make welders more prevalent in pub play.

Welding teammates was as much second nature in NS1 competitive play as finding time to reload. In pub play, you never got welded. In "NS2" combat, the marine team that has welders does much better. Greed, however, doesn't like spending a point on a welder compared to upgrading yourself. The end result is no welding. Only when faced with a ravened command chair will the team get welders - and then refund the points or not use them to help the team later.

I predict this will go the same way NS1 did and welding will be rare in pub play. For 3 res, you get the privilege of making yourself more vulnerable in combat and you get to do busy work. In video games, altruism doesn't work as incentive. Playing gorge is fun, playing welder-b*tch is not.