Balance mod...is this actually being implemented into the vanilla ns2?

1235»

Comments

• FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Well, as of last night's build the speed cap was reduced to 9.5 for skulks. Significance here being you're "expanded wallumping" or whatever you want to say at full speed after 1 raised wall jump.

So yea the bunnyhop seems less important to hold speed
  • thelawenforcerthelawenforcer Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183176Members
    while it may not be pure bunnyhopping - its quite obviously derived from and conserves alot of the same principles of bunnyhopping - with a twist of course. eitherway, trying to address the barriers to new player induction such systems have typically had with PR/spin is pointless.

*note im not trying to argue for or against the system etc
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    just played my first match in the BT cup and it was the most fun I've had playing NS2 in a long time. I think this honestly might bring some life back into the game.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Yes, it was a lot of fun.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    ColtColt wrote: »
    hanges the flavor of the lifeform, still viable, although I find the ability to change upgrades on-the-fly for free is a little exploitative or broken, as you can rock carapace, hide in a vent and pop out some regen, rinse repeat (as i've seen plenty of players do in "Div 1" (3 teams in the US!) games).

Just to clarify, I believe this only applies to skulk. Higher lifeforms require another 5 Pres every time you want to switch. I have never actually tried it though so I am not 100% positive.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    It will cost you money on everything but skulk, not really an issue Colt.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Also it takes forever to upgrade at 3 chambers so once you've changed it...waited for regen...changed back, you probably were better off running back to the hive.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited June 2013
    joshhh wrote: »
    hanges the flavor of the lifeform, still viable, although I find the ability to change upgrades on-the-fly for free is a little exploitative or broken, as you can rock carapace, hide in a vent and pop out some regen, rinse repeat (as i've seen plenty of players do in "Div 1" (3 teams in the US!) games).

Just to clarify, I believe this only applies to skulk. Higher lifeforms require another 5 Pres every time you want to switch. I have never actually tried it though so I am not 100% positive.

Upgrade prices vary depending on the lifeform. It's 3 for the lerk I think. 5 is fade.
  • ColtColtColtColt Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153707Members
    Mendasp wrote: »

Upgrade prices vary depending on the lifeform. It's 3 for the lerk I think. 5 is fade.

This is accurate (at least the fade is).

*Shrug* I've seen quite a bit of the skulk cara-regen-cara shenanigans. Not really a major talking point of my post, but yeah. Good to know it's alot slower @ max.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow

This is accurate (at least the fade is).

*Shrug* I've seen quite a bit of the skulk cara-regen-cara shenanigans. Not really a major talking point of my post, but yeah. Good to know it's alot slower @ max.

I've done a little bit of this, but I do it in reverse. I default to regen on my skulk and I'll hop in a vent and go carapace if I'm trying to spearhead an attack or take on 2 marines by myself.. but if you're already on carapace and plan on leaving it that way, you're better off just running back to the nearest gorge/hive.
  • ICha0sIICha0sI Join Date: 2002-06-13 Member: 763Members
    you're making an big deal out of something not big. it's the same game with a few new/altered mechanics. you don't have to re learn much of anything imo, skulk movement is close to the same as it was btw
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    The new reliance on welding is an added weight that the gameplay currently does not need, given NS2's player expansion rate.
    Other than that no real big issues imo so far.
  • CountCount Join Date: 2007-01-11 Member: 59559Members
    I'm glad to see someone else who is more pessimistic about the balance mod. If all of the changes it lists were implemented I wouldn't play anymore. I find many of those changes to be fairly amateur and adding unnecessary complications to the game. I think more strategic options is great, but Ns2 is pretty good balance wise and so much of the proposed changes miss the mark.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    Count wrote: »
    If all of the changes it lists were implemented I wouldn't play anymore.

See ya, then.
  • CountCount Join Date: 2007-01-11 Member: 59559Members

See ya, then.

Is it confirmed anywhere that all of the changes are going into the game?

• current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester

See ya, then.

From my understanding the list isn't kept up to 10000000% accuracy. My suggestion would be to play on a BT server. From my understanding that is the damn close to what 250 will be.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow

See ya, then.

Has it been confirmed that 100% of the changes will make it in? No. But UWE has been pretty clear that the vast majority, if not all of them, will be going live.

Either way, we'll know by the end of the day today what made it in and what didn't.
  • FleshmaulerFleshmauler Join Date: 2013-06-04 Member: 185480Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2013
    Man, to be honest I really didn't like that NS2 was changing after spending like 500 hours getting good at the game (400 of which was pure running around/dying), I thought the movement was weird and stupid, etc. But after playing BT for about 40 hours, I have to say it is great. Skulk are amazingly fun now (as they should be being that pub and comp players will be one for 30-80% of the game). Lerks are much more agile, but squishy, and with the first upgrade being umbra it seems to encourage them for a more defensive and room denial play-style (forcing pubies to play lerk like comp players; ingenious). Fade has a much lower skill ceiling, insanely lower in terms of movement, but the upside to this is it makes you consider room positioning more when facing marines, since it is squishier now. Onos.... is an onos. Marines, great changes, but W+S jump is stupid now; doesn't matter too much because awkward camera angles + A/D jumps will usually fool 95% of skulks. Commanding is now fun. Great job.

Oh and I'm pretty sure there is a post about build 450 which includes many (the list is a bit outdated) that are being implemented sometime today.