UWE time for marketing to bring back players who quit due to low fps

senatesenate Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75023Members
I think you guys should look into this. I'm one of those people that quit because of just that reason. with 249 the game runs acceptable FPS numbers for a pc running phenom 2 x4 965. I had people ask me if they should buy the game I told them only if you have a fast intel CPU or don't mind playing in low fps. AMD users spoke the truth when friends asked them if they should try the game. So it has a reputation that it now needs to get rid of because it's not valid anymore thanks for 249.

Comments

• RabidWeaselRabidWeasel Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5337Members
    Yeah patch 250 needs a big PR blitz to get people to try the game again with revamped gameplay + improved performance.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    They said a big content patch is coming out in early autumn so PR will come then. Besides you can't really show in a video that performance has improved when performance is always great in official vids. They need the new content to get old players back, and the improved performance should retain them longer.
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    it's not like they fixed a FPS bug and things are all fixed...

it improved, but people still can't run it smoothly
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I was actually surprised that build 249 was pretty silent in regards to PR. But I assume they knew ahead of time that BT would be released soon and probably plan on making it a double whamy. talk again about improvements and about how the game went into a more fluid and drastic change! or something :P
  • senatesenate Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75023Members
    yES their next big patch should have a big marketing behind it imo. Biz, I saw significant improvement with 249. I don't remember what numbers I used to get but I know the fps was crap. There's no way you can enjoy that when the main skill in the game relies on hand to eye coordination. Btw I run a phenom 2 x4 965 stock with a gtx 670. My fps is way higher now than it was with the phenom overclocked to 3.9ghz. Yeh some people still can't play but at least the game's performance seems to be closer to equal to other games.
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
  • piratedavepiratedave Join Date: 2012-03-10 Member: 148561Members
    its always better to market 1 Big patch than lots of little patches.

Even though luajit came with 249, they should just include it in the patch video anyway.

Even better would be a game relaunch, however i think there would need to be alot more improvements for that (tutorial system, better bots etc.)

• amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    Neoken wrote: »
    Well, lots of new stuff coming at the end of summer, so I'm guessing they're saving the big PR guns for then.

In any case, when that time comes, they should market it as NS2 GOTY edition. That always gets some attention. :D

did they actually get goty at some point?
  • PoNeHPoNeH Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58801Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester
    UWE's idea of marketing is publishing articles about these "tourneys" that most people don't really care about. #FAIL
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    PoNeH wrote: »
    UWE's idea of marketing is publishing articles about these "tourneys" that most people don't really care about. #FAIL

totally agree
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    edited June 2013
    lol, i don't think so. i still have to run the game at 1600x900 with everything turned off on a quad core i5 2500k clocked at 3.7ghz and 560ti to get a high fps and i still get horrible drops in heavy combat, random micro stuttering entering new rooms or in random fights, and even the servers i play on are having issues lately with terrible stuttering. with any of the graphic qualities settings turned up it's miserable. this is all running on a SSD, it's about $600 worth of hardware a few months ago, and i can't even run the game with a bit of eyecandy and maintain a decent fps, lol! and it's not my computer, drivers, etc - as i max out plenty of other games and maintain very good fps.

i've tried even reinstalling the game after the new patch including deleting my app data directory and installation directory, the game still runs awful. i'm about to give up on this game between the community getting worse and worse every time i play and performance woes.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @ns2isgood if you're experiencing an average of less than 60 fps with those specs you should start a thread in tech support and i'll see what i can do to help diagnose.
  • senatesenate Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75023Members
    i'm not a certified tech but I see you're running a 560ti. That's pretty low bro.
  • FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    senate wrote: »
    i'm not a certified tech but I see you're running a 560ti. That's pretty low bro.

Not for this game.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    senate wrote: »

Not really, 560ti is pretty awesome still. Runs this game and most others pretty well, as long as you don't turn on ambient occlusion.
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @ns2isgood if you're experiencing an average of less than 60 fps with those specs you should start a thread in tech support and i'll see what i can do to help diagnose.

Holy cow! I just formatted my Windows 8 partition and started over from a fresh start and what a difference it made. I'm not sure what the hell was causing my issue, but I can actually have some graphical setting on high and medium with AA/AF while maintaining the 90fps lock I have in place the majority of the time. I still get tiny dips here and there, but they are barely noticeable now. The game is 10x more enjoyable.
  • SupaDupaNoodleSupaDupaNoodle Join Date: 2003-01-12 Member: 12232Members
    ns2isgood wrote: »
    Windows 8

There's your problem.

Joking aside, why was it that of all the games you have, it was NS2 that needed your entire operating system to be reinstalled?

Game needs a lot more optimization.

• RabidWeaselRabidWeasel Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5337Members
    edited June 2013
    ns2isgood wrote: »
    IronHorse wrote: »

Holy cow! I just formatted my Windows 8 partition and started over from a fresh start and what a difference it made. I'm not sure what the hell was causing my issue, but I can actually have some graphical setting on high and medium with AA/AF while maintaining the 90fps lock I have in place the majority of the time. I still get tiny dips here and there, but they are barely noticeable now. The game is 10x more enjoyable.

Glad to hear this, your PC specs are almost identical to mine (my gpu is a bit better) and I'm running max res most eyecandy on almost never going below 60 fps (I had my first fps dip since 249 for a few seconds in an 85 minute long game I played yesterday...)
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'm running it on a 3 year old i7 860 at 3.8 GHz and a Radeon 5870 stock, at 1920x1200. The performance improvements in 249 make the game very playable on this system.
  • kk20kk20 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164592Members
    3.7 i5 with 6850.no issues for me either. Never have had an issue, ive posted many screenies in the past at various points in the game (1080p res almost everything on except aa and AO)

must be something on other people's pc as mine is fairly stock softwarw. I do have an ssd though.