CPU for Dedicated Server

discrepantdiscrepant Join Date: 2013-06-22 Member: 185655Members
Hello,

I am currently running a dedicated server in a VM off the same machine I use for gameplay. Entering and exiting the game will produce performance issues. So to remediate this, I am going to build a dedicated physical box.

Now, AMD offers excellent pricing. But I notice that most servers operate off Core i5, i7, and Xeon. Is there any reason not to use an AMD? I'm looking at the A10-6800k clocked at 4.1Ghz. This processor will do nothing but host a single dedicated NS2 server.

Comments

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Performance mostly. NS2 servers are CPU hogs such that single threaded performance is the best indicator of how smooth/how many players you can run on it. If you check here or here, you'll see that that A10-6800K struggles compared to Intel.

If you can, springing for one of the i5's would be the best solution. Otherwise, you can get the A10-6800K, grab a high end cooler, and try to overclock it as high as possible.
  • discrepantdiscrepant Join Date: 2013-06-22 Member: 185655Members
    Thank you for your input. I was hoping someone could tell me that AMD is powering their server without issue just for the sake of saving some dollars. Core i5 it is then!