The Shade, Crag, and Shift and their abilities

aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
edited June 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
Does anybody use the commander controlled chamber abilities as more than a novelty in a real game?

Crags: Place 3 behind a hive to make it a difficult hive to kill, or make healing stations on the front lines. I don't believe I've seen heal wave used much (ever) since its animation is a bit ambiguous. Overall its probably the most useful chamber.

Shift: Place one by the building second hive to help the gorge build it quickly due to fast energy regen. It's echo ability is of dubious usefulness as it only transports single chambers at a time somewhere else on infestation. The only time I've really used this (for fun) is to transport 3 bombard whips I was maturing in the hive to the front lines. Still probably would have just been easier to grow them and use nutrient mist. I don't think I've ever seen a commander use this in a real game.

Shade: It's passive ability cloaks a relatively small area. This doesn't seem to be very useful to me since its difficult to use it offensively since marines can find it so easily and kill it. Always seemed like a waste of res to put a few around the map and have them die shortly after, even in good positions. As soon as a marine kills a nearby cyst its life expectancy goes down significantly. It's ink ability IS pretty cool, but its range negates its usefulness most of the time. Hallucination is pretty useful and interesting.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I see healing wave and ink used all the time, not echo though.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    I use both healing wave and ink, hallucination and echo almost never and eggspawn as needed. on the other hand, I also enzyme, nutrient mist, and cyst burst like it's my job. and I use bonewall occasionally. also, I sometimes use my drifters to attack marines.
  • xBlueXFoxxxBlueXFoxx Join Date: 2013-06-07 Member: 185497Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited June 2013
    The new grenade launchers would surely blow healing stations to hell, however crag spams get pretty annoying sometimes, but I think that's what the intent of buffing the grenade launchers was supposed to resolve, I dislike that resolution, I think crags should be weakened a bit and the grenade launchers should be toned down, they definitely put a major halt to pushing forward. Shade hives are not very tactical, cloaking is always nice, but it's pretty clear when there's a hive there. Hallucination in my few months of playing I've never seen used properly, I typically just see onos spams as a kick in the nuts to the marines while they're losing.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    xBlueXFoxx wrote: »
    The new grenade launchers would surely blow healing stations to hell, however crag spams get pretty annoying sometimes, but I think that's what the intent of buffing the grenade launchers was supposed to resolve, I dislike that resolution, I think crags should be weakened a bit and the grenade launchers should be toned down, they definitely put a major halt to pushing forward. Shade hives are not very tactical, cloaking is always nice, but it's pretty clear when there's a hive there. Hallucination in my few months of playing I've never seen used properly, I typically just see onos spams as a kick in the nuts to the marines while they're losing.

that's why I rarely use it, I find it only really useful when my team can't finish the job. and if my team can't finish the job, we shouldn't be winning in the first place. 4 onos should be able to wreck any power node in existence regardless of the marine count. if they're sitting on 2 dualies, might pose a slight problem, but yeah.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    The usefulness of all chambers has been significantly boosted in the Balance mod:
    - Crags no longer stack healing on the same target, so you can't keep a Hive indefinitely alive just by planting 3 Crags behind it. You are rather forced to utilize Heal Wave frequently if there are too many marines than one Crag could outheal.
    - Shifts gain the Echo ability automatically if you have a Shift Hive. And since you are now able to echo Harvesters and Gorge Tunnels, as well as having a Supply Point cap on the number of structures you can grow and generally slower growth processes, it becomes actually viable to grow stuff in your base and quickly reinforce the front line with it.
    - Shades are harder to take out because you can always relocate structures since they gained the ability to slowly walk away. The fact that Ink got fixed and can now effectively stop ARCs from firing makes the Shade Hive even more meaningful as a defensive strategy.
  • BentRingBentRing Join Date: 2003-03-04 Member: 14318Members
    Ink got fixed? Nice to know!

Also, doesn't a craig at a new hive heal it to full health much more quickly than just letting it grow? Assuming no gorge of course.
  • SolidSpiderSolidSpider Join Date: 2013-04-14 Member: 184805Members
    ^Heal yes, grow no.
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited June 2013
    BentRing wrote: »
    Ink got fixed? Nice to know!

Also, doesn't a craig at a new hive heal it to full health much more quickly than just letting it grow? Assuming no gorge of course.

does shorten the duration to reach 100% health
    does not shorten the duration to reach maturity (aka 100% grown)
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited June 2013
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    I see healing wave and ink used all the time, not echo though.

I think echo costs too much to be effective. It costs 15 to evolve the 10 res shift to echo, and then 5 I think to transport any of the 10 res structures. You cant echo just to save a base that's being threatened, because by the time you've echoed all the buildings back to a forward position, you've spent as much res as it costs to build them all fresh. The only thing cost effective to echo are upgrades and bombard whips, and bombard whips are nearly useless to begin with.

Personally, I would make the ability free after the upgrade. I really like the idea of giving khammanders things they can do mostly to keep busy and active in the game without really hurting their teams res flow. It would probably be cooldown based in order to keep it balanced, with maybe an increased evolve to echo cost.

I would also like to see the same thing with Hallucination. Actually hallucination deserves to be free even more than echo, due to the fact that you don't actually get any direct benefits out of it. What I would do would be to apply a different global cooldown for each hallucination ability scaled to the "size" of the hallucination. Making Skulks would probably only be a second or two between (probably with a population cap similar to drifters), but making a hive might block you from making new hallucinations for several minutes.
  • TinkerTinker Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14395Members
    I rarely see hallucinations and I don't know that I've ever seen an echo. I agree with @sotanaht.

Ink can be awesome, I've kept the old deposit (mineshaft) safe from a central ARC attack for 7 minutes or so once. I'm not even a good comm. Also, healing wave is awesome at the right time/place.

Hallucinations have been fun but didn't feel like they did anything worth a significant res investment though.
  • SherlockSherlock Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168595Members
    I use Echo all the time... If we're setting up a forward base to push a Marine location, and it looks like we're going to win, I'll upgrade my Shift so that when we've taken the room, I can drop a Hive and quickly move all my Crags/Whips to a more useful position, healing and protecting that new Hive immediately.

Way too often I see unused "forward" bases littered all over a map, in corridors well in to Alien territory that just aren't being traversed/assaulted any more. As Commanders will usually place at least 3 Crags at a time, plus a Shift and sometimes even Whips, this can become a large amount of resources sitting there on the floor, unused. 10 Res gets you everything up to the front lines... and it takes a LOT less time to move a Crag than it does to grow one.

Just remember... as Shifts can only Echo structures in their close radius, make sure you move it last! Done that before... >_<
  • joohoo_n3djoohoo_n3d Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164703Members, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Supporter
    i use heal wave everytime i drop a crag and when i use echo in the shift to transport shells and spurs from hive to hive as well as whips and crags and the echo shift itself i move around the map.

you dont see the commander use it because there's not much to see and its not like players are notified "THE HIVE IS ECHOING LOCKER ROOM CRAG TO GENERATOR!" lol

shade is a bit blerggh.
    despite the reasoning for this, it is still too big of a structure.
    and frankly the ink cloud is too ineffective because it takes so long to trigger it in response to an attack or a scan - would love an automatic ink cloud option.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2013
    This thread. A++

This is and has always been an issue for the game. With most being underused, and many never being used. Either down to poor UI, implementation or design (relating to a situation or otherwise) and make for a more linear game.

A good example is the Whip in the BT mod. It now has auto root/unroot. From a usability point of view, a simple change can make a huge difference. Things like this seem so obvious, yet only now they being modified.

The marine team also lack from having usable upgrades that are worth the research. I think it would be better (as per the BT mod) to have upgrades across both sides be easily accessible early on. BUT with individual weapons/structures having upgrade paths that boost stats, etc.

So for instance, do you want the crap shade or the mega shade camo path. Or do you want the flamethrower that can deter, or the one that fills a room with fire?
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    edited June 2013
    Sherlock wrote: »
    I use Echo all the time... If we're setting up a forward base to push a Marine location, and it looks like we're going to win, I'll upgrade my Shift so that when we've taken the room, I can drop a Hive and quickly move all my Crags/Whips to a more useful position, healing and protecting that new Hive immediately.

Way too often I see unused "forward" bases littered all over a map, in corridors well in to Alien territory that just aren't being traversed/assaulted any more. As Commanders will usually place at least 3 Crags at a time, plus a Shift and sometimes even Whips, this can become a large amount of resources sitting there on the floor, unused. 10 Res gets you everything up to the front lines... and it takes a LOT less time to move a Crag than it does to grow one.

Just remember... as Shifts can only Echo structures in their close radius, make sure you move it last! Done that before... >_<

It's not 10 res to do that, it's 35. 15 to upgrade the shift, and 5 each to move the crags and shift. It only costs 40 to build them all from scratch, so all you save is 5 res. For that 5 res, I think I would rather keep the backup base in case we end up getting pushed back.

As far as speed goes, the first crag gets there fast (if the shift is already upgraded), but by the time the shift gets there you could have grown all 4 buildings and had a decent amount of maturity on them as well.