Passworded BT servers

1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
For the last 2 weeks every BT server I have seen has been passworded. How are we to test things as a community if we cant even get onto the BT servers? Could perhaps the devs change one or two of the official servers to run BT just so people who arent part of some obscure clique actually get a chance to play?

Comments

• AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    my guess is that are clan servers where they train or hold the matches of the current balance mod cup. there should always be a few bt mod servers up though
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    There is always one full and unpassworded BT mod server in European peak times.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    There are plenty of public BT servers, but no one ever goes on them. Except for the HBZ server but that's in germany, so if you're from NA ping might be an issue.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2013
    On behalf of endar, owner of monash servers, i would like to offer his sincerest apology for not thinking about the community enough, which unfortunately resulted in the public bt server being taken down for a vanilla private server. He promises to humble himself in the future and analyse player counts over a longer period of time before making such grave server decisions. Endar again apologises.

Because actions speak louder than words, he has decided in his overwhelming wisdom to reinstitute a public bt server. Granted there is only so much time between dota games to set them up properly, so the listing you seek will still hail as 'Monash #3 private bt'. Endar again apologises for this typographical error.

Monash public bt had only just been taken down the day before your unfortunate experience. You just happened to see a bt private that had been specifically requested by pugging players. Endar again apologises
  • sjusju Join Date: 2013-03-17 Member: 184042Members
    Tell Endar we thank you for you condescending tone.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Almost every competitive team is shifting over to the bt for practices and scrims now that it's been confirmed as the future of NS2. That's what all those passworded servers are.

I haven't had problems getting onto public bt servers. However I will see what I can do about maybe getting the Helix server to run as a public bt server when we aren't using it for anything, it's important that everyone is given a chance to try the mod out.
  • AyanomooseAyanomoose Join Date: 2013-05-06 Member: 185153Members
    Almost every competitive team is shifting over to the bt for practices and scrims now that it's been confirmed as the future of NS2. That's what all those passworded servers are.

I haven't had problems getting onto public bt servers. However I will see what I can do about maybe getting the Helix server to run as a public bt server when we aren't using it for anything, it's important that everyone is given a chance to try the mod out.

Helix's server is almost always open, we only close it for scrims at around 10 EST. I usually hang around the server trying to start it up, but most of the time we get people going marines and just shooting the skulks trying to practice the new movement, which then kills the server. But if you're willing to tough it out we can usually get a decent match going, at least we'll be able to once they remove this one chair exo nonsense. I'm getting tired of hour long turtles. I strongly dislike the BT but I still know enough about it to help out other people, so you're welcome to hop on and let me teach you.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Competitive BT is great but every time I've pubbed the BT mod it's been an absolutely abysmal experience.
  • XaoXao Join Date: 2012-12-12 Member: 174840Members
    Competitive BT is great but every time I've pubbed the BT mod it's been an absolutely abysmal experience.
    Guess what release is gonna look like m8.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Maybe that is because half the players in the BT pubs are learning the new mod? lol What do you expect? Everyone automatically knows how to use the new movement? It will get better over time. BT launch into live will be similar to NS2 1.0 launch. Lots of abysmal pubs playing poorly.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    elodea wrote: »
    On behalf of endar, owner of monash servers, i would like to offer his sincerest apology for not thinking about the community enough, which unfortunately resulted in the public bt server being taken down for a vanilla private server. He promises to humble himself in the future and analyse player counts over a longer period of time before making such grave server decisions. Endar again apologises.

Because actions speak louder than words, he has decided in his overwhelming wisdom to reinstitute a public bt server. Granted there is only so much time between dota games to set them up properly, so the listing you seek will still hail as 'Monash #3 private bt'. Endar again apologises for this typographical error.

Monash public bt had only just been taken down the day before your unfortunate experience. You just happened to see a bt private that had been specifically requested by pugging players. Endar again apologises

Gee, I'm so honoured I might explode.
  • GamerkatzeGamerkatze Join Date: 2012-06-27 Member: 153711Members
    i remember the time when ns2 was released. servers were flooded by headless players and nothing was working. so why is everyone surprised when they see BT pubs ?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter

#3 is public BT and has been for a few days now.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Server admins can run whatever type of server they like, they're under no obligations. If they passworded it, that means they specifically hosted it in order to have a private server.
    arent part of some obscure clique actually get a chance to play?

Do you know where we are?
    why am I so upset

ahahahahah.
    Zek wrote: »
    Server admins can run whatever type of server they like, they're under no obligations.

Judging wholly off Elodeas post I'm assuming the comp players in Australia have had the only active BT mod server passworded so they can circlejerk themselves for hours without any public player scum being casual near them and sustain MF's rampant shit posting about how the BT mod will solve world hunger in these forums.
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    The Xao novelty has warn off, gone from amusing to repetitive. Big yawn.
    Oh so I didn't see the BT server locked for the last 3-4 nights with only comp players and friends of faggots in there?

My mistake Scatman, sorry m8, must be that damn server browser.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2013
    sju wrote: »
    Tell Endar we thank you for you condescending tone.
    What makes you think i was being condescending? Your own preconception that the op had an overly large sense of self-entitlement?
    Gee, I'm so honoured I might explode.
    Let me be very clear. I was and still am strongly in favour of keeping the bt server public despite certain minority demands for a private.
  • dePARAdePARA Join Date: 2011-04-29 Member: 96321Members, Squad Five Blue
    Comp players ask me to remove some maps (Mineshaft, Refinery, Docking) from the mapcycle and replace the rest with the nsl-versions.

My answer was:
    BT isnt for comp players only and goes live for everyone soon. Every map need to be played to find balance issues.

Thats my opinion and im not changing it.
    BT is no "pro-mod". It seem some people forget that.

• BicsumBicsum Join Date: 2012-02-27 Member: 147596Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited June 2013
    ^
    Mineshaft and Refinery both had balance problems in vanilla, so one might argue that testing these maps with the BT mod falsifies the results of the mod balance.

I could live with the compromise of having Jambi in the cycle though.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited June 2013
    dePARA wrote: »
    Comp players ask me to remove some maps (Mineshaft, Refinery, Docking) from the mapcycle and replace the rest with the nsl-versions.

My answer was:
    BT isnt for comp players only and goes live for everyone soon. Every map need to be played to find balance issues.

Thats my opinion and im not changing it.
    BT is no "pro-mod". It seem some people forget that.
    NSL maps are a pro-mod, it's not the performance increase at all. Ok.

I thought we all played the same game, but apparently when you use NSL versions of the maps it's a different one, you need to be pro to play them.

Also you overestimate the amount of change the maps are going to get when BT is in vanilla. I can tell you this amount is close to zero.
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    Mendasp wrote: »
    [stuff] - I can tell you this amount is close to zero.

ns2_tanith confirmed for official release.