Euro Open 2013 Fundraising Update: WOW! - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited June 2013 in NS2 General Discussion

imageEuro Open 2013 Fundraising Update: WOW! - Natural Selection 2

After just four days, and with nine weeks to go until the event, the European Open 2013 prize pool has crossed the $1,000 threshold and hit $1,530! This is fantastic news, and a huge thank you is owed to everyone who has contributed. Special thanks to Malcolm ‘BlitzThose’ Grant, who contributed $300 all by himself! Den Fox, and an anonymous user also each contributed $50.

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Buuuuuump for a Monday comment thread. Also, $1,530 prize pool!! I wasn't initially sure of a co-contribution prize pool was possible... But you guys have made it happen! I wonder how big it will get by the time August 24 rolls around?
  • 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    Boooooo tourny's that I'm not good enough to compete in. I want more Biodome pictures. :p
  • FrizzlecatFrizzlecat Join Date: 2013-03-07 Member: 183752Members
    Interesting. I'm not sure if I actually want ALL this money to go to the teams competing in the tournament. I'd rather it was split between the teams, further UWE NS2 development, and future tournaments.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I don't think that the split UWE would get from this could help them in any way, it's just too small of an amount (especially considering the money they actually get/got from the game). I would like to see it put towards future events though, making sure they actually happen.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Whoah - Just crossed $2,000!!! With UWE co-contrbution this will hit $2,500! What a fantastic result for the teams!
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited June 2013
    Would be good if some of the money went towards advertising the game in Asia.
    Scatter wrote: »
    Would be good if some of the money went towards advertising the game in Asia.

Taking voluntary contributions to a prize pool and using them for advertising could produce... A drop in a giant ocean.

Let's say we take $500 of donations, and run a targeted advertising campaign at whatever user profile we think matches NS2. We could get maybe... 50,000 non-unique 'impressions' on the content. Maybe 700 'engagements' (People clicking through to a trailer, clicking on a store link, etc). Of that, maybe 0.5%, people buy NS2. Not profitable.

Advertising is a game best played by big players, with big money. They can run large, cohesive, interdependent campaigns with acquisition tracking. They can analyse huge volumes of data to get targeting to a level where the 'Cost Per Acquisition' is lower than the marginal operating profit per acquisition. Unknown Worlds doesn't have the scale to do that.

Instead, we rely on people sharing their experience with NS2. Say, seeing a community rallying together to create a substantial prize pool, and cheering on great players in good spirits :).
    Golden wrote: »
    I think all the money should go where the donation page says its going... to the teams.

And there is no doubt that is where it will all go

• 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    Hugh wrote: »
    ...Instead, we rely on people sharing their experience with NS2...

It'd be great if we had rentals so I could make more friends try it. Hint hint nudge nudge.
  • b1.seb1.se Stockholm, Sweden Join Date: 2012-09-17 Member: 159734Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited June 2013
    Ns2 is a great community. Lots of love for the game. Looking forward to see the European teams fight for the spotlight in The Grand Finals and hopefully the US scene won't be far away from this too. Kudos to everyone that contributes.