Planetary Annihilation

2»

Comments

• remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    They hit 2 mil. That's all I care about. Full Orchestral score to go with the game + the Galactic War thing. :)

I hope they do a good job on this.
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1977289:date=Sep 14 2012, 01:00 AM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Sep 14 2012, 01:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1977289"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nope to number one. Destroying the earth by crashing <b>Mars</b> (approximately 10% of earth's mass) into the earth would require accelerating it to well beyond the speed it currently orbits. The moon (approximately 1% of earth's mass) is MUCH smaller than Mars. Remember, it's not enough to just crack the marble, you have to get the pieces to fly apart too, otherwise they'll just smash together again and re-form a planet.

Yes to number two, but now we're talking about moving an object with ten times the mass of Mars and a hundred times the mass of the moon. Trivial this ain't.

So since we're talking about this again, here's one of the more plausible ways of destroying the earth: Bringing it in close proximity to Jupiter. This is a much better option, because while the earth is almost impossible to move in any significant manner, Jupiter, being a gas giant, isn't. You just build a fusion candle (or five hundred), which is a staggeringly huge tower with fusion reactors inside, and then stick one end into Jupiter's atmosphere, where it sucks in gases for fusion. Then you "light" the candle at the bottom, meaning you use the fusion to power a thruster that keeps the candle afloat in the atmosphere so it doesn't sink and get crushed. Next, you light the candle at the top in the same fashion, which exerts a downward force on the entire Jupiter/candle system. Since the thruster at the bottom keeps the candle floating, the end effect is that you can now (slowly) move Jupiter around.
    From there on out it is (comparatively) trivial to set Jupiter on an intercept course with the earth, where you then have various options:
    Swallow: Just collide 'em. Gets the job done, but boring. Lacks grandeur.
    Rip & Tear: Get earth to orbit Jupiter. Tidal forces tear the smaller planet apart, and Jupiter now has a beautiful ring system that makes Saturn's look like a cheap hula hoop.
    Bank Shot: This one's tricky, but scores major style points: Pass Jupiter by earth far enough so that earth survives the tidal forces, but close enough to alter earth's orbit. Send earth spiraling into the sun, or go wide and send it into the far reaches of the solar system to hit another gas giant out there. I'll leave it to the judges to decide which target scores the most points.
    Semantics: Like the bank shot, but send earth so far out that it leaves the solar system, becoming a wandering interstellar body instead of a planet. Yeah yeah, very clever. <i>Get back to work.</i><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How about digging like a tunnel into the centre of the earth and then putting a load of nukes in there and then sealing it off and filling the tunnel in and then detonating the nukes.

It'd be like putting an explosive under water! The molten core would do... it'd make the shockwaves... more. And then the earth would blow up.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1977833:date=Sep 15 2012, 07:19 AM:name=X_Stickman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (X_Stickman @ Sep 15 2012, 07:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1977833"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It'd be like putting an explosive under water! The molten core would do... it'd make the shockwaves... more. And then the earth would blow up.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You may be underestimating the size of the earth.

There's a fat joke here somewhere. I just got up. Cut me some slack.

--Scythe--
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Sweet mother of God...
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1977833:date=Sep 14 2012, 11:19 PM:name=X_Stickman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (X_Stickman @ Sep 14 2012, 11:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1977833"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How about digging like a tunnel into the centre of the earth and then putting a load of nukes in there and then sealing it off and filling the tunnel in and then detonating the nukes.

It'd be like putting an explosive under water! The molten core would do... it'd make the shockwaves... more. And then the earth would blow up.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Absolutely possible. Well, theoretically. If you can procure some antimatter, we're in business. Roughly one trillion tons might cut it. Nukes, I'm afraid, wouldn't.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/233250/
    Now on Steam! What the hell, it's not even out yet.
  • 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members
    It's early access. $90 is a bit much for a game they charged $20 for on Kickstarter though. I realize they say it's going to get cheaper by beta and then release, but still... Seems a very strange strategy.
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    Same price they put up when the KS campaign was still on. They had to decide to either piss off new customers with a high price or anger their current alpha access supporters by lowering the cost.

I think they even put a explanation on the steampage.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    Actually seems kind of smart. Prevents people from seeing the game too early and judging it too harshly... Although now they're judging it harshly for the price. Either way, no winning.