Community

FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
edited June 2013 in Competitive Play
I have this idea. It's simple, might be fun, might be lame.

Think of it as competitive players reaching out to everyone playing the game. If video are included with the game, or better yet referenced to internet videos, whatever.

If we got competitive players to do short lighthearted segments about how THEY individually play the game, mash it up, it might give newer players the inspiration they need to play the game more and not just drop it because they have to face us in pubs.

Think Bitey's tutorial videos. While I played NS1, I didn't play NS2 until release (I didnt play video games at all for about 8 years between), but I was able to watch his videos, give them the hour I needed, and I was able to get right out into pubs and practice my understanding of the system. Granted tracking just took praaactice and I'm still bad in my book

Everyone boasts about how great the ns community is, well let's show our face and talk about this. I for one know I can talk to my webcam for 2 minutes while fading, throw in some images of the keyboard mouse movement on top and in synch. Well I can't edit that together, but I'm willing to take them.

I just think getting our faces out wherever might be good for the games longevity and in turn expansion of the competitive scene

This wasn't exactly well thought out, but I wanted to put the idea out here.

If you're interested in doing segments, drop a line on this thread so we can see if we have enough interest in it

Comments

• SpoogeSpooge Thunderbolt missile in your cheerios Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 67Members
    I had an idea with a similar goal (might have been suggested/implemented already-I don't keep up):

Pro-Am competitions.

Seems to me like a great time of year to offer a chance to let regular joe players fill an empty slot on an established team to find out what it's like to participate in a close knit competitive environment. Admittedly, most regular joes would likely need a bit of hand holding (ie explanation of what situational awareness they should have during the match) but if 4-5 of the team already work well together, they should be able to pick up the slack of their "new guy".
  • CragChristCragChrist Join Date: 2013-05-15 Member: 185239Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    @Spooge
    This seems like a good idea, but I feel any players who wanted to try competitive play will at some point play it anyways - regardless of an introduction. The most interesting thing I noticed when I started to watch competitive games (before I started competitive myself) was how different the games looked compared to pubs. Also, if you're watching replays or streams of NS2, I'd bet you'd also be reading the forums and notice that there are some competitive teams that are recruiting, several being newer teams as well. Learning how to play competitively as a team was one of the most fun aspects of being on a team. You really notice when you're finally doing something right - you'll win more often too. I think it's a better experience when everyone is "the new guy" and then they think together and come up with solutions to encounters.

What I'm trying to say is those who are interested in comp play wouldn't be helped much from Pro-Am, but would instead be better off in newer teams. Also, I feel that having an interest in comp play should be enough to get you to try it. No flashing lights required.
  • BigRustyRedBigRustyRed Join Date: 2012-11-30 Member: 173786Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I like the idea, if this gets going I'm sure I can get some of the Goðar members to participate :)
  • AndinagamaAndinagama Join Date: 2012-12-23 Member: 176019Members
    edited June 2013
    mattji104 wrote: »

I for one know I can talk to my webcam for 2 minutes while fading, throw in some images of the keyboard mouse movement on top and in synch. Well I can't edit that together, but I'm willing to take them.

I made a short test video similar to this idea when the pistol fire rate cap was introduced: I pointed my webcam down at my right hand, on my mouse and recorded myself shooting off the pistol ingame using fraps. Syncing them is easy, you use an editing programme (KDEnlive is a good free one, but Linux-only) and put the clips in two tracks on the timeline. I synced the first frame of the pistol firing with the first frame of my right index finger depressing the mouse button.

or it would have been if fraps hadnt dropped my game framerate to below 30fps (which is what my webcam records at). You have to tell your game recording software to record at a fixed fps, the same as your webcam, and then sync them together using a fixed point that you know (because that button can only have THAT reaction in-game)/

As a result, my video didnt prove anything, other than that I can fire the mouse button 12 times in a second (and for that, I recommend changing the fire rate cap to 0,83s, but that's another thread).

I love your idea about competitive players having casual players as guests. I would like to be such a guest - I dont have time to dedicate to a clan, but I'd like to play the occasional competitive match without too much trouble with my high ping (I'm from South Africa and have shitty internet so that's not going anywhere).
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation