Build 249 [Beta]

Comments

• male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    Just tested, amazing result. Now my GPU is the bottleneck according to r_stats 1
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Just ran around a bit on an empty server. Noticed a significant boost in fps already. Can't wait to try this build out on a full server. Massively promising.
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    How did UWE (or who is responsible for this?) achieve that? Amazing stuff!
  • phoenixbbsphoenixbbs Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13379Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    edited June 2013
    nanites !

We have one of the playtesters "fsfod" to thank for this, he's been working on it for a while now.

He might be willing to accept beer tokens for all his hard work :-p
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Ah yeah the guy that made the menu mod from a while back.

Good results for me too.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Dammit, I might even be able to turn shadows on.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    the improvments are pretty amazing... getting 200fps in the ready room, ~120 in game. Haven't tested it with players though.

That's with an i5 2320 and a 550ti, both stock with no overclocking. High textures, everything else turned off, 1280x768
  • extolloextollo Ping Blip Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72457Members
    pretty fancy. i bet it took a lot of work to get it integrated with the marshalling layer & running stable - and it seems to be solid in this beta. congrats guys.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Fps improvments are great from 60 to 80 ingame, but i don't like the changes made to docking.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited June 2013
    My fps has increased about 45% late game in the couple games I have played.

i5 3750k 4.5 ghz OC
    GTX 660ti

High textures with every thing else off.
  • VenatosVenatos Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149762Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    this sounds very good, i imagine luaJIT also does wonders for server performance.
  • ZeframZefram Join Date: 2004-05-11 Member: 28611Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    Venatos wrote: »
    this sounds very good, i imagine luaJIT also does wonders for server performance.
    48 Man servers that NEVER LAG, here we come!
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I must say, new docking is very confusing. Half the map redone. Definitely like departures changes, not sure about court-gen-stab-maintenance part.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited June 2013
    Don't seem to drop below 110 on heavily structured map with 15 bots running off my client

however need a real test on a server with real people
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2013
    Herculean!

I always test by firing up the Explore mode and then run into the far corner behind the CC in Flight Control. Up to build 248 my my frames have been hard-glued to 40fps.

Gotta switch to beta, test again and report back first thing when I'm home from work...
    Colour me excited!
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited June 2013
    I get stuck waiting on GPU now, so yea cpu performance definitely improved but I don't quite understand why my GPU struggles now. I was under the impression this game wasn't very demanding on the GPU. I have a 570M 1.5GB DDR5 Video card and I can run games like BF 3 on high... There were a lot of crags and cloaked structures around when I tested though, need to give it a run in a fresh game.

Nice work on the performance boosts at least!
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited June 2013
    Well it has to be one...and if it's not cpu intensive any more it has to be gpu.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    Aren't they working on improving the game from the rendering side as well? I mean that was the impression I got from Brian's interview and all the Open GL stuff they keep showing. The performance from this experimental build is significant though. Makes me wonder if they can improve upon it even more on the cpu side judging by this post:

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2119788/#Comment_2119788
  • culpritculprit Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33527Members, Constellation
    If you are waiting on the GPU, that means you are getting the optimal performance of your GPU. When you have to wait on the CPU (game code/physics/etc) before the GPU can push the frame to your screen, you have lots of factors affecting your overall FPS. When you are waiting for the GPU, you only have rendering that is really affecting your FPS. This means you should see more significant changes in FPS at different resolutions, texture qualities, shadow settings. This allows the user to tune the performance for their system much better. It also means that having a majorly OCed CPU is no longer required to get moderately smooth FPS.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2013
    Aren't they working on improving the gabby e from the rendering side as well? I mean that was the impression I got from Brian's interview and all the Open GL stuff they keep showing. The performance from this experimental build is significant though. Makes me wonder if they can improve upon it even more on the cpu side judging by this post:

Yes.
    Opengl and Dx11 are on their way.

I keep imagining the experience that all these optimizations with the balance mod will create... NS2 2.0

Edit : so far it seems like the server benefits greatly from this as well. I hope we keep the current cap of 24 players so that crucial values like interp and client update rate can be increased.
  • Person8880Person8880 Join Date: 2013-01-02 Member: 177167Members, Squad Five Blue
    My feedback from a modder's perspective:

A few nasty parts of Lua have been left in that you don't want accessible. I won't mention details, but if it's not already known I can email details of it to whoever needs to know. I'm sure it's just because it's a beta version, but I wanted to mention it just in case you overlooked it.

On the other hand, the date function has been left in, no more working out the date and time from the system time. Please don't remove it! Especially seeing as the old system time function returns that it's 1:08 on January 1st 1970...

Shame file appending is still broken though. Would be nice to get that working and now would be a good time to fix it. Then I'd have no need for hacky methods in my logging system.

As far as performance goes, I was already running pretty smoothly, it seems to be even better now. I'd be interested to know how much better performance is on servers.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Aren't they working on improving the gabby e from the rendering side as well? I mean that was the impression I got from Brian's interview and all the Open GL stuff they keep showing. The performance from this experimental build is significant though. Makes me wonder if they can improve upon it even more on the cpu side judging by this post:

Yes.
    Opengl and Dx11 are on their way.

I keep imagining the experience that all these optimizations with the balance mod will create... NS2 2.0

Edit : so far it seems like the server benefits greatly from this as well. I hope we keep the current cap of 24 players so that crucial values like interp and client update rate can be increased.

Yeah ticrate can be pushed to 60 from this build imo, not anything like 100 or above though. but 60 would make a huge difference
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Thanks Person the appropriate people were made aware. :)
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Created a listen server, ns2_summit, added a bunch of crags, whips and other structures into a hive room location... On B248, i dropped down to 80. Beta B249 constantly 110 and greater. So i've had pretty good results, I was told that if I had been on NSL_summit the fps would have been even higher, so i'm happy.
  • unter_hosenunter_hosen Join Date: 2003-01-05 Member: 11858Members, Constellation
    Team Work And Tactics have a genuine Beta 249 server up

bonkers.teamworkandtactics.co.uk:27023
  • LústLúst Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178186Members
    StrikerX3 wrote: »
    On an i7 2600K @ 4.5 GHz + GTX 680, the game hardly goes below 100 fps. With lots of structures and a bit of combat, it went down to 80 at most. Certainly a lot better than going down to 50. I wanna see how it looks like with a lot of stuff going on, but so far it looks like there was a noticeable improvement.

This is with all graphics on low except for textures, AA and AF, at 1920x1080.

Nice to know 2600k with 560 ti, should see about 90+ all game.
  • Metal ManMetal Man Join Date: 2011-11-13 Member: 132717Members
    I was really excited to try out the new build. I want to love this game so bad but I have some trouble with performance. I tried overclocking my PC and was very excited to finally run this game decently. All my hopes were shattered and I ended up with a bowl full of diarrhea
  • kespeckespec Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172279Members
    edited June 2013
    never expected such a big fps boost, this is really something. i can clearly say its about 50% or more for me(i53570k@4.2 gtx680), don't know about the rest gonna persuade my friend install the game and test it.

please make a massive promotion campaign when SBT is applied to the original game. i had no hopes first but that can actually revive the game ten times stronger.
  • AtomicbananaAtomicbanana Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166147Members
    Good news I might actually install the game again.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    Don't relaunch until we have a better new-player experience.

a) Better tutorials and other training materials / methods / systems (like the bots, yay!)

b) Better ways of getting newbies into games where they won't be stomped by try-harding vets but WILL be helped by vets taking team-leading roles (commanding, field commanding, patiently answering questions, etc). Perhaps Sabot will help here?