No Infestation?

ErriiieeeeErriiieeee Join Date: 2011-05-12 Member: 98431Members
edited June 2013 in NS2 General Discussion
I found by deleting the infestation in the materials folder I can boost my FPS about 20. I've never seen the game run so smooth even with 20+ players. The only issue is I can't play on any server because file consistency checks automatically kicks me. Is there a way to have no infestation while passing consistency checks?

Comments

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    No, that's kind of the whole point of the system.
  • TinkerTinker Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14395Members
    That's a huge boost though...I wonder if there's a middle ground that could be reached since performance is such an issue for so many people.
  • ErriiieeeeErriiieeee Join Date: 2011-05-12 Member: 98431Members
    Would I be able to fill the infestation folder with blank files that are named exactly the same?

The boost is ridiculous, this really needs to be an option while UWE figures out how to optimize the game. I'd most likely log hours and hours into this game if I could play it with an average FPS of 40.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    No, the way consistency checks work is it checks the MD5 hash of your files against the servers, there is no way to fake the MD5 into being the same without having the exact same file.
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Or starting the check sum 25 years ago .... ooops. Time isn't relevant.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited June 2013
    i wonder if theres a way to just outline it?
    that way you can still check where the infestation is at, without it chomping up your fps like a crazybugger?
    Someone care to make a mod?
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    I used to do this back on my old laptop that I had to play ns2 with. It did yield great fps boosts but sadly there isn't a way to bypass consistency checks that I am aware of.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Consistency checks are there for a reason, so people don't delete wall textures or game sounds to give themselves an advantage. Regardless, I tried that a while back just to see how much infestation was affecting fps. It was only a 5fps difference for me.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited June 2013
    I remember the NS2 classic mod from a while back that had no infestation, game ran as smooth as butter!
    I think it is the cysts, how about they get removed cause they suck and contribute next to nothing to the game?
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Should try the 249 beta
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Well that's kind of a big part of NS2. So if you walked into a room and don't see any infestation when the room is heavily infested, how can you tell your team that the aliens are trying to expand there. If it was possible to play the game with out it, I can't see a reason why it should be allowed.
  • male_fatalitiesmale_fatalities ausns2.org Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27185Members, Constellation
    edited June 2013
    Infestation has like a 1% affect on gameplay. I can't remember the last time i thought 'oh hey, i cannot do that because their is infestation in that area'. Such a large feature which ultimately does nearly nothing except create atmosphere that wears off after 2-3 games. In balance mod, sewlek has made it so infestation wears down marine structure armour.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'd love to be able to turn it off. Then I wouldn't need to look at this.

nWokqEo.jpg
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    [...] there is no way to fake the MD5 into being the same without having the exact same file.

There is a way; collision exists in MD5. Some searcher even found a sentence answering a certain MD5 few years ago.

And Erieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, just play B249 :3 kekekeke (go try LUAJit; I bet you'll see a great FPS boost).
  • Metal ManMetal Man Join Date: 2011-11-13 Member: 132717Members
    UWE if you care about your community or the success of this game you will make no infestation an option. I love the mechanics of this game and really every single thing about it. i love it so much it hurts my dark spots. I DONT CARE ABOUT INFESTATION I ONLY WANT TO PLAY

To summarize, the infestation gives me diarrhea