How to easily fix the "concede problem".

StoneburgStoneburg Join Date: 2002-11-11 Member: 8174Members
Name the reset function "Rematch with same teams" and the concede function "Rematch with new teams". Put them under a "Finish this match" option. If you want to add some sort of function that decides who "won" the game I think there are several ways to do it that would be good.

Comments

• bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    edited June 2013
    probably a good idea unless UWE can add some more easily achievable victory conditions
  • kespeckespec Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172279Members
    enemy team should also vote for concede
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    Stoneburg wrote: »
    Name the reset function "Rematch with same teams" and the concede function "Rematch with new teams". Put them under a "Finish this match" option. If you want to add some sort of function that decides who "won" the game I think there are several ways to do it that would be good.
    Whilst I hate to disagree with someone from cofr (played a couple of your fellow clan mates over the years...primarily on the tour of duty half life mod..which never really took off (sadly)).
    I think what your overlooking is that often games are conceded due to poor team balance, so simply restarting with same teams will do nothing.
    It will simply lead to more people leaving the server (as they can either play out a dead game and be stomped for upwards of 10 minutes or restart and let the landslide go on for even longer).
    Concede is an issue primarily due to balance, there is little chance of comebacks for aliens once you lose that second hive (or even 3rd depending on map)..whilst marines can turtle 1 tech point and get pretty much full kit...aliens cant.
    So its more of a balance issue than a concede issue.

Now there have been a range of ideas for mini end game scenarios but none seem to have caught the eye of UWE (despite the great ideas some of us have put together (ie marines self nuke (must defend targetting beacon) and aliens must defend the last hive before it explodes sending off spores into space (both with say 2 min countdown timers)).

@kespec there are a range of issue with teh other side voting...like the fact they wont.
    It already needs over 2/3's of the losing team to be succesful...which can be hard enough as is.
  • kespeckespec Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172279Members
    unless there is some kind of match making system that randomizes players based on player statistics there will always be problems with team balances. but thanks to the guys who cant leave the old ways this is not even possible.

in team fortress 2 scramble option randomizes players based on player effectiveness, since matches end lighting fast when imbalance is present, scramble works near perfect upon next round. i don't think that can apply on natural selection 2.

still two side concede voting proved viable in games like heroes of newerth. conceding isn't mean to be easy, it kills the fun for the opposing team, or the eager players in the losing team. i am sick tired of people giving up entirely just because something didnt go with their way, going semi-afk and concede feature turned that into a common habit. *losts the fade: "CONCEDE GUYS!"

i hell enjoyed seing skulks going rambo on w3/a3 exos, biting those mechs with the last fang left. or the last man standing marine chased by the swarming kharaa. good times but concede killed them all.

but who cares i have been waiting for a eu server with players in it for 5 hours now. lol
  • KenshikenKenshiken Join Date: 2013-02-01 Member: 182698Members
    Rename the "concede" button to "Natural Selection".
  • JCDJCD Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33150Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    kespec wrote: »
    but who cares i have been waiting for a eu server with players in it for 5 hours now. lol

Well it's bound to be like that since it's no holiday or smth like that.
    Ppl have to work/go to school.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I opened this thread thinking 'oh god, another one of these...'

However, it's not actually a bad idea to have this as a short-term fix before any kind of matchmaking system can be implemented. Shuffle teams would be the predominant use, of course, but actually there is the occasional game where your team made a couple of bad mistakes and lost the game (rather than simply being owned by a far better opponent), and you'd quite like to have another go, so the option to rematch with same teams could find some (albeit limited) use, too.
  • tummy_yummytummy_yummy Join Date: 2013-05-01 Member: 185073Members, Reinforced - Gold, WC 2013 - Supporter

Actually a pretty good idea!
  • hozzhozz Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172660Members
    edited June 2013
    "rematch with new teams" is contradictory. It's just a new game, why would it be called rematch? :p

And hakenspit is right : concede is a button for "can we end this shit and start a new game???!!!" by *one* side, and the core problem is uneven teams. Uneven teams are the "concede problem", I don't see how the changes OP proposes would do anything about that. If everyone would have to agree to a concede, people would just F4/disconnect which is much worse.

Semi related: everyone who votes for "randomize ready room" after people F4'd stacked teams is an ass.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    While we are on the topic of voting...

WTB Randomize vote that RETURNS EVERYONE TO READYROOM, THEN RANDOMIZES TEAMS.

lol The current random is close to useless.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    ^yeah, the randomizing rr-only made me do an i don't even when I first saw it.
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    Easy fix, have random split the top players from the previous round... 9 out of 10 times I hear people call random stacks its completely based on the scores from the previous round... People arnt looking to deeply when they call stack, a "superficial" fix will quiet 90% of complaints..
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I'd love to see an even split based on the k/d ratio of last round. Far from a perfect system, I still feel it would be able to stem the worst stack whines.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Here's the problem with random, and how it doesn't solve stacking.

Let's say, for example, Fana and Tane decide to go pubbing. Obviously, they are going to be better than everyone else on the server, to the point where having the two of them on a single team will pretty much assure that team victory, assuming the comm is semi-competent. In order to stop this stacking, the people on the server call for random teams. However, since all that needs to happen for teams to be stacked is Fana and Tane being on the same team, there is still a 50% chance that teams are going to be uneven, even when they are randomized. It doesn't matter where the mid-low skilled players end up, all that really will impact the "fairness" of teams is where the most skilled players on the server are. And randomizing the teams still leaves open the possibility of those few high-skilled players being on the same side.

The idea that I had would be some kind of server mod that organizes teams based on player scores from the previous round. For example, the player with the highest score in the previous game is sorted to marines, the second and third highest to aliens, fourth and fifth to marines, and so on down the line. I think this would be a better system and would more reliably balance teams out - Fana and Tane will probably be the top two scorers and as a result will end up on opposite teams. The problem is that nooby skulks who just run around chewing power nodes would be overestimated in the system, getting higher scores than they should have for being useless, but I figured it was better to go off of scores than off of k/d ratios, because otherwise gorges wouldn't get very much love.
  • yuckfooyuckfoo Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168216Members
    randomizing ready room is great when your team gets loaded up with AFK's
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    ^
    Ain't that the truth haha
  • TinkerTinker Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14395Members
    I like TG. They have a balance mod that throws people on teams based on win:loss history (for the server) and it seems to do a pretty decent job of preventing stacks. Just randomizing the teams doesn't help anything for reasons that were mentioned earlier.
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    Roobubba wrote: »
    I opened this thread thinking 'oh god, another one of these...'

However, it's not actually a bad idea to have this as a short-term fix before any kind of matchmaking system can be implemented. Shuffle teams would be the predominant use, of course, but actually there is the occasional game where your team made a couple of bad mistakes and lost the game (rather than simply being owned by a far better opponent), and you'd quite like to have another go, so the option to rematch with same teams could find some (albeit limited) use, too.

like your comma was a couple seconds late with a critical beacon
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    score.balance gives no.love to comms
  • RobotixRobotix Join Date: 2013-02-20 Member: 183222Members
    People are always complaining about conceding, team-stacking, and Marines turtling... You guys need to make up your minds. :P
  • MrPinkMrPink Join Date: 2002-05-28 Member: 678Members
    edited June 2013
    concede has been my favorite feature they've added since release

I don't think some people realize how much it saves servers from emptying after long, boring games
  • A[L]CA[L]C Join Date: 2010-07-25 Member: 72801Members
    The idea that I had would be some kind of server mod that organizes teams based on player scores from the previous round. For example, the player with the highest score in the previous game is sorted to marines, the second and third highest to aliens, fourth and fifth to marines, and so on down the line.
    I'd love to see an even split based on the k/d ratio of last round. Far from a perfect system, I still feel it would be able to stem the worst stack whines.
    maD_maX_ wrote:
    Easy fix, have random split the top players from the previous round... 9 out of 10 times I hear people call random stacks its completely based on the scores from the previous round..

Shine administration mod already does this.

https://github.com/Person8880/Shine

There are three team balancing modes available.

- Pure random, as before.
    - Past scores based. When a round ends, all player’s scores are saved. When the random vote is called later, the past round’s scores are used to balance the teams. Anyone with no past score on record or with a past score of 0 is randomised.
    - NS2Stats ELO ranking based. This obviously requires NS2Stats to be installed. It will use the ELO ranking saved for each player from NS2Stats to place players evenly based on an average of their Alien and Marine ELO scores. Anyone without a ranking is randomised.
  • WakeWake Join Date: 2003-03-05 Member: 14351Members, Constellation
    1 zillion horses have been hurted during concede arguments.
  • SeeVeeSeeVee Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165206Members

I used to run a UT2004 CTF server for many years and a mod was created that did just this and it was actually very effective. Sure you played one stacked round however it distributed the teams next round accordingly and if someone though they were slick and tried leaving the server and then rejoining the mod always put them on the team they should have been via distribution so there was no manipulation.

Doing something like this for NS2 I believe would be a step in the right direction.