What microphone/headset do you guys use?

2»

Comments

• KhazeKhaze Join Date: 2006-12-12 Member: 59031Members
  • briatxbriatx Join Date: 2013-01-18 Member: 180352Members
    I went with the cheapo Zalman ZM1 with a lapel clip while looking for a better option.

It seems to work ok.

I've been thinking real hard about the modmic, which is a boom mic that attaches to headphones of your choosing a detatchable magnet clip: http://www.modmic.com/
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    webcam and 30 dollar speakers. I haven't had issue withsound cues and no.complaints aboutspeaking.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    edited June 2013
  • Wonderboy2402Wonderboy2402 Join Date: 2011-08-28 Member: 118911Members
    Corsair Vengance 1500. Great mic and alright 7:1 surround sound (simulated). Got for $49.99 after rebate.
  • FLuXFLuX Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11633Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    edited June 2013
    Headset : Astro A40 w/ Astro Mixamp (with mixamp, however connected via SPDIF so not using the mixamp via USB as an audio device, simply moreso as a headphone amp)

Microphone: Audio Technica AT2035 Condenser Mic (Hooked into my Mackie Oynx Preamp/Interface, AD/DA converter which is basically the "router" of any studio setup.) Also has it's own floorstand with shockmount and pop filter to eliminate any unwanted stuff. :3

Complete setup here.
    iwecSPD.jpg

On an opinion note, I would avoid anything that's "USB" mic if you ever plan to do any recording, "podcasting" is fine, but if you want to monitor your mic there is often an annoying latency associated with USB mics.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I used to use a turtle on a beach, but the turtle wasn't working like people said it would so I released him to the wild
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    ellnic wrote: »
    I used to use a turtle on a beach, but the turtle wasn't working like people said it would so I released him to the wild

did the turtle go down the beach? like, all the way down? was the destination of the... turtle's, all the way down... the beach?
  • the9thdudethe9thdude Join Date: 2007-08-02 Member: 61753Members
    I'm rolling vanilla Astro A40's with a mixamp via USB, before I was using some $20 Sony headphones. Night. And. Day.
  • DrummerDrummer Join Date: 2004-02-18 Member: 26654Members
    if you really are and audiophile, good headphones will make a difference. and since i didnt know about Modmic before just now, im not sure how good it is, but if it was around a few years ago when i had Sennheiser headphones, would have bought that instead of a logitech usb mic. Now i use a Tek Republic TH Pro headset, found it for $40 on newegg, works great.

For audiophiles: Sennheiser headphones (almost any model, ALMOST) + Modmic
    For most people: Any headset around $40-50 with honest reviews
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2013
    Sennheiser HD280 pro + Blue snowball
    hd280_800.jpg
    SnowballAL-xlarge.jpeg

I second what FluX said about the USB mics.. I got mine thinking it'd be passable as a cheap mic for doing demo tracks..... but nope.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Open-air Dynamic Audiophile Headphones

Zalman Zm1 clip on mic

Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card (gives me virtual surround as well as awesome sound quality)
  • draktokdraktok Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183156Members
    I use a pair of logitech H390s. Nothing terribly expensive, 35$ at my store, doesn't cover your ears which is good for me, great quality sounds imo, it's a usb headset 2.1, and the mic seems to be perfectly fine by friend standards.
  • tagwolftagwolf SF Bay Area Join Date: 2013-02-01 Member: 182710Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Plantronics 780. ~$50. Surround sound, great acoustics, great mic. Durable, and comfortable. I recommend 100%.
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    AKG GHS 1. Highly recommended.
    Image%20-%20GHS%201%20Camouflage%20(3D%20View%20on%20black%2001)-5394843f.jpg
  • Sp3cia1Sp3cia1 NY/MASS Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177755Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Ironsoul wrote: »
    Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Open-air Dynamic Audiophile Headphones

Zalman Zm1 clip on mic

Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card (gives me virtual surround as well as awesome sound quality)

Same inputs and output audio device but im using a sound blaster Z (there aren't any linux drivers). Avoid the Sound blaster Recon3d sound cards they are pretty bad. Honestly the only reason why I got the Z was because my old xifi card died from 2005ish(yep that old )
    I would avoid anything "gamer" or headset, to be honest and USB I would avoid too.

• SanCoSanCo Join Date: 2012-08-18 Member: 155744Members
    Res wrote: »
    I use some generic brand behind the neck headset that cost $20.

It works great, except for the fact that the left speaker of the headset constantly cuts out. THUMBS UP! 5 stars!

I don't use the mic, so can't comment on that part.

Not a big fan of those gigantic headsets that fit over your ears. I have to be able to hear things around me, such as my 14 month old toddler, so I don't really play with the sound all that loud either.

Late, but openback headphones are far better for the purpose to hear your surroundings if you need that, keep it in mind next time you buy headphones and need still exists. Which it sounds like you need to very soon.

I use Sennheiser HD598. Excellent audio / build-quality, weight next to nothing and are really comfortable even with glasses. Xonar Esssenct STX for audio quality needed to utilize said headphones and Zalman Clip-on simply because there is no better alternative where I live, ModMic looks great but don't think I'll get it due to no close retailers. Audio quality is fine with the Zalman, it does pick up everything and it's probably not the best build quality so might break easy, had it for a 7-8 months now. They cost next to nothing, so whatever.
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Behind-the-neck headsets ftw. Look cool while you frag, yo.

MDRG57G.png

Over-the-head when you wanna look like mickey mouse:

7509002525060?$full$

Don't be that guy, dude.

And yes, I'm totally racist when it comes to headsets.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    That's Minnie Mouse stupid.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    Corsair Vengeance 2000 wireless headset.

The (virtual) surround sound is useless, doesn't work in most games, but it's still pretty good stereo. I got it because I was sick of having my headphones/headsets pull out of my pc all the. Even though I still have to keep it plugged in and charging most of the time, when it does pull out it doesn't interrupt my game, and I don't actually have it plugged into the computer, just a power strip.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Actually this should be in Off Topic.
    Moving.
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    StrikerX3 wrote: »
    tdunc- wrote: »
    Sennheiser PC350's

I had one of these for one day. The serious lack of bass disappointed me greatly. Other than that, they're very good.

I'm currently using an Audio-Technica ATH-M50 + Logitech USB Desktop Microphone.

I have the 350... Only use them for gaming. I don't understand where bass fits into ns2, sound quality is beautiful way comfy and after 4 years only neg is that the foam on the cups is flacking (fin little black flecks an my neck after a good gaming session)
  • MonkfishMonkfish Sonic-boom-inducing buttcheeks of terrifying speed! Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16972Members
  • LV426-ColonistLV426-Colonist Space Jockey Join Date: 2011-08-05 Member: 114269Members, Constellation
    edited June 2013
    Most gaming headsets are junk.
  • AldarisAldaris Join Date: 2002-03-25 Member: 351Members, Constellation
    Most gaming headsets are junk.
    What do you define as a gaming headset, and why are they junk?
    If I may take a guess, anything with surround sound, USB, "cool" marketing names.
    Surround means more drivers in the headset, means crappy small drivers, bad sound compared to large (stereo sound) drivers.
    What do you mean drivers? I mean these: https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSE1DB14GP6P6Mr0ik1TEqiJb8D5_gpBt4CYPAU--6SqgBoSHlbOA
    Binaural sound with stereo headphones does this just fine, demo here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUDTlvagjJA
    USB: latency issues, hissing, incompatibility issues.
    "Cool" marketing names: you're paying for the branding.
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    I'll give a caveat on the USB side; if a USB microphone has a built-in (onboard) monitor port for a pair of headphones, they can work fine for recording purposes.

I've been dealing with OBS issues a lot lately (assisting other casters), and the biggest latency problems seem to crop up when using too many USB devices on a single host controller. A quick check of the Device Manager set to 'devices by connection' is usually enough to straighten out those issues by swapping ports to match up occasional-use items (like USB printers) with bandwidth-demanding items (like USB mics and webcams), and keep the high-bandwidth items on separate controllers.

Been working on getting a new mic to replace my M-Audio Producer (only works well at ranges of less than a foot)... Radio Shack sells a cheap behind-the-head mic-only (#33-3012) that I've heard AWESOME results from (Man VS Game) for $30, but the two units I tried apparently were defective; one with a manufacturing defect that added a TON of bass as well as a LOUD low-frequency hum (the bass I could EQ out, the hum... not so much), and the second (exchange) was completely DOA, only responding to firm taps on the condenser element pod.
    Also considering a Blue Yeti, but with the significant price involved, non-guaranteed results, and large desktop footprint... I'm going to give Rat Shack a few more tries to sell me one that actually works, first.
    Even then, the RatShack model appears to be a ripoff of the Sennheiser ME 3-EW design, and the Audio Technica PRO8HEmW looks to be more comfortable than either of them, with good noise-isolation reviews (even if the pod is pretty large). Though those last two are five times the price.