Vindaloo's King of the Hill tourney with prizes

VindalooVindaloo Join Date: 2012-12-04 Member: 174127Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
edited June 2013 in Competitive Play
EDIT/NEWS 04:
I am sad to announce that due to lack of interest the tourney is not gonna happen any time soon. The money prepared for prizepool will go towards Euro Open fund. (No paypal? Hmm... gonna take some time then...)
I also wanna thank to Goðar for being the most professional and eager to play team I've ever met, you guys are awesome and best of luck in Euro open!

EDIT/NEWS 03:
Poll started, find it HERE. That will also be a default page for anything related to the KotH Tourney.

EDIT/NEWS 02:
Because teams are having problems with tight time constrains and because we don't have enough teams signed up, here are some changes to the rules and organization (will edit the OP accordingly):
Possible play times widened - monday-thursday, evening/night euro times and based on mutual 3 way agreement rather than having defender choose.
Postponing the start of the tourney two weeks, new starting date would be week that starts on Monday 3rd of June (2013-06-3 week)
If more teams won't sign up, we can have showmatch between the teams already signed up with same prize pool with the same tip jars but maybe best of 7 or 9.

EDIT/NEWS 01:
Rules regarding ace match, coin flip winner now chooses map xor (exclusive or) side.

Hello everyone,
some of you might have heard about me some of you haven't. I'love NS2 and I am curently caster and ref for ENSL. I want to add something back to this wonderful community and this is what I had in my mind for some time:

Vindaloo's King of the Hill Tournament

Tourney will consists of seasons, for a season to finish a team must win 3 matches in a row. Little infographic:

ftim2cu.png

Matches will be played either Tuesday or Wednesday (defender's choice) once a week sometime during Monday - Thursday at time suitable for Europe (starts between 1900-2200 1800-0100 CEST, I am sorry for this, but I have to work, sleep, drink
alcohol and some people say I might have a real life to attend on some weekends). Matches will be scheduled after 3 way mutual agreement.

Match rules:
Best of 5, with at the time current ENSL rules for competition consistency.
Each team picks one map from at the time current ENSL map pool, defender or team A chooses first.
There will be 2 rounds on each map similar to ENSL season matches (marine ping advantage rule applies).
If match is not decided by then, coin flip winner chooses side xor map, loser gets to choose the other, map must be different from the previous ones and 1 game will be played deciding the match winner.

Team prerequisites:
You should have time at the times specified regularly (For the good tournament flow, reschedules and time inconsistencies are not possible).
You should have a team or your trusted player should have PayPal account (reasons in Prizes section).

Prizes:
There will be a prize for season winner in form of a payment equal to what I consider 1 month hosted server cost - 30$. It's not a lot but that's not all.
Every team will setup own Pitchin (Tip Jar) widget, which will be shown under the twitch.tv video player for time around the scheduled match. Viewers will be able to tip teams directly for outstanding plays, strats or just because of pure fanboyism.
There will also be Tip Jar for higher prize pool, anything you drop in there will be paid at the end of season to the season's KotH (minus the paypal fees, I still have to eat to keep this going, what a nuisance - puny human bodies).

I would like to start this tourney with first match one of these days 21/22-05-2013 2013/06/3-6, but everything
depends on people/teams/casters interest, so what I need to do this is YOU:
If you are a team and want to participate in this tourney (check the time window for the matches) send me an email to koth(at)vindaloo.eu
If you are a caster and would like to cocast some of these matches, let me know. Best by email to koth(at)vindaloo.eu
If you have any tips or you wanna help or wanna be part of this in any way (please specify) shoot me an email to koth(at)vindaloo.eu

If this thing happens:
Major updates will be here in the OP and on my twitter. For general setup and communication we will use Google Docs and Steam.
Teams for match will be chosen during the weekend preceding the match time window, with a method I haven't come up with yet :) Maybe poll... Find it HERE.
Rules can change during the seasons to accommodate for anything that was overlooked.

Thanks everyone for reading this, I hope I can make this happen and that it will be a lot of fun for everyone,
Vindaloo out.

Comments

• VindalooVindaloo Join Date: 2012-12-04 Member: 174127Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    <p>--- reserved ---</p>
  • GrayWGrayW UK Join Date: 2009-12-18 Member: 69701Members
    Great stuff, thanks Vindaloo :)
  • alzarocalzaroc Join Date: 2003-07-26 Member: 18451Members, Constellation
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Awesome idea and if you ever decide to do it during a more NA-friendly timeslot (basically, on the weekend) Team156 would definitely jump in.
    Vindaloo wrote: »
    Match rules:If match is not decided by then, coin flip winner chooses side, loser chooses map, different from the previous ones and 1 game will be played deciding the match winner.
    I'd change this rule up to the coinflip winner gets to either choose the side or map rather than just the side. We've run into situations where the coinflip winner didn't actually feel like they won because they really wanted to choose their desired map than which side. It also prevents situations where the loser can manipulate the map choose to one which the winner's chosen side is at a disadvantage (i.e. choosing veil if the winner picks marines to try to put the coinflip winner at a disadvantage).
  • VindalooVindaloo Join Date: 2012-12-04 Member: 174127Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    Awesome idea and if you ever decide to do it during a more NA-friendly timeslot (basically, on the weekend) Team156 would definitely jump in.
    Maybe for a next season, so far no one signed up. Maybe the time constrain is too much. I should probably post on ensl forums too...
    I'd change this rule up to the coinflip winner gets to either choose the side or map rather than just the side. We've run into situations where the coinflip winner didn't actually feel like they won because they really wanted to choose their desired map than which side. It also prevents situations where the loser can manipulate the map choose to one which the winner's chosen side is at a disadvantage (i.e. choosing veil if the winner picks marines to try to put the coinflip winner at a disadvantage).
    You are right, let me change that before someone gets hurt :)
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    You could fix Scardy's problem by saying that both teams have to choose whatever and you don't tell each team what they've chosen until the other has also made their decision.
    You could fix Scardy's problem by saying that both teams have to choose whatever and you don't tell each team what they've chosen until the other has also made their decision.

That would make it quite random imho. I mean the goal is to have the one game in this asymmetrical shooter/rts that decides who is better. If there is any way that is better let me know, but in this case if you don't know what you are gonna counter with your second-in-row decision the last game might be boring roflstomp. My reasoning: team knows they have really strong marine play and decides on marines, they should prove it with win on the map that gives them "slight disadvantage". If they feel they know some map like the back of their hand and feel they have great strat for any side, let them prove it by forcing them into side with "slight disadvantage" on the map. The big problem still persisting is if both teams have same really strong side in comparison to other, say incredible marine play and useless aliens, then game would go 2-2 (both teams winning marine rounds) and ace round, the deciding one, would really be about the coin flip. This is probably topic for a separate discussion as it's not only about this tourney but encompasses lot of ns2 competition.

• wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    Season winner cannot participate in next season? :D
    wiry wrote: »
    Season winner cannot participate in next season? :D
    I know you know exactly what I mean by that :)
    Is miau gonna join?
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    major props Vindaloo!
    I don't know.
    But tbh, that rule seems unnecessary, excluding players isn't the way of mr miyagi.
    I don't know.
    But tbh, that rule seems unnecessary, excluding players isn't the way of mr miyagi.
    First and foremost I don't like that movie. Second I believe in open information and competition, but in this case fuck me, I am hypocrite, I am not gonna sit and watch a team roost on my hill and take all my lunch money for generations to come. Well, If they want, they can do it every other season...
    Now really, it's just precaution to bring some diversification into the tourney, maybe there will be only couple teams who want to compete and I will have to change the rules drastically.
    So far 2 teams entered, big names, but those should be revealed when I get voting system i place.
    YO, TEAM PLAYERS, tell you leaders you wanna be famous and compete in this event!
    It's kind of worrying that a rule like that is needed at all. Kind of says a lot about what state this game is in.

ABANDON SHIP, CU @ QL
    It's kind of worrying that a rule like that is needed at all. Kind of says a lot about what state this game is in.
    Yep, I do agree that game isn't in the best shape, also one of the reasons I am doing this. If we sit around and do nothing it's dead already. The rule is not needed, it's preferred.
    Anyway this is getting off topic...
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Such a rule isn't particularly unusual. Its also good to give motivation to teams who aren't the absolute best (see NPGT).
    They are unusual (non-existant, even) in competitive computer games. Also, it's not like there's a lack of golf players. Why would you even compare such a wide spread sport with a game that barely breaks 1500 concurrent. Stop being ridiculous.

Excluding teams in a game that barely has an active competitive side is not the smartest move, thats all I'm saying.
    edited May 2013
    They are unusual (non-existant, even) in competitive computer games. Also, it's not like there's a lack of golf players. Why would you even compare such a wide spread sport with a game that barely breaks 1500 concurrent. Stop being ridiculous.

Excluding teams in a game that barely has an active competitive side is not the smartest move, thats all I'm saying.
    1. Its only one team being excluded and
    2. Its only for a single KotH cup (the one after you win)

Its not like winning a KotH cup means a permaban from all NS2 comp play.

Edit: If this bothers you, how did you feel about the NPGT which prevented a full 8 teams from participating?
    I don't get the reasoning though, why exclude people from an already minimal scene? My feelings about the NPGT was that it was completely uninteresting. I guess some people like to watch bronze league cups in Starcraft II though, which is fine seeing as they have the playerbase to support it. Do you really think NS2 does?
    edited May 2013
    I don't get the reasoning though, why exclude people from an already minimal scene? My feelings about the NPGT was that it was completely uninteresting. I guess some people like to watch bronze league cups in Starcraft II though, which is fine seeing as they have the playerbase to support it. Do you really think NS2 does?
    Team Work & Tactics v CiB-Highwind Game 1 @21:00 http://www.twitch.tv/blindns2/b/396458358
    HeLix v 156 Game 1 http://www.twitch.tv/virsoul/c/2203359
    CiB-Highwind v Onslaught Game 2 @21:30 http://www.twitch.tv/naturalselection2/b/393444681

Not all of the best NS2 matches occur at the highest levels of play. Giving space for the lesser skilled teams to compete gives motivation to improve and can lead to some really good matchups.
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Team Work & Tactics v CiB-Highwind Game 1 @21:00 http://www.twitch.tv/blindns2/b/396458358
    CiB-Highwind v Onslaught Game 2 @21:30 http://www.twitch.tv/naturalselection2/b/393444681

<3
  • FlipperFlipper Join Date: 2012-08-08 Member: 155120Members

Probly to prevent each season being 3 weeks due to a dominant team winning every game, and every 'season'. Like mentioned above there are many great moments from lower level play and giving spotlight to all teams does more for the scene then just watching the same 5 teams play eachother, disband and regroup etc forever. But your always oozing positive energy on these forums... oh wait.
    Ha, this spun off topic fast :)
    Also good job Scardy presenting the case. Now i still need more teams, are you lazy or scared people?
  • AiorosAioros Join Date: 2003-03-24 Member: 14850Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    not scared ... its more like playing the current Version of NS2 is kinda boring.
    I would love to see this event happening with sewleks balance mod.

From the Casters Point of View its more interesting to cast (more tactical).
    So many diffrent openings for both sides.
    The Competitive Players could also help to generate feedback for the Balance.

win win situations for everyone.
    PS: Showing the balance mod will also help to generate more feedback.

Aioros wrote: »
    not scared ... its more like playing the current Version of NS2 is kinda boring.
    I would love to see this event happening with sewleks balance mod.
    Maybe we can make another event together for this, single elimination for 4 teams, to show how much more interesting the balance mod can be.
    But for this event there is a prize money and forcing teams to train for 2 different versions of the game is not a good way I feel.
    Anyway, I am calling name already: Balanced Tournament. If you wanna make it happen, contact some teams if they wanna participate, let me know on steam and we can do this no problem. Season is almost over and there will be nothing to do, so more events the better. You wanna see it, help it happen!
    edited May 2013
    Bug in the OP was sorted, all the info in the OP again.
    So we got 3 teams confirmed, couple more i need to confirm with. I have a page with a poll, where you can vote for the teams you want to play in the opening match. Here.
    So far Goðar, OnFire, Precaching. When other teams confirm I'll add them to the poll, but they will lose on some voting time.
    If your team want to participate, you can jump in at any time, just write me to koth(at)vindaloo.eu or on steam, you know where to find me.
    So the results of the polls are in:
    OnFire 6
    Precaching 6
    Goðar 9
    By the flip of the coin Precaching has been decided as a starting team to face off with Goðar. Congrats.
    Contacting teams, setting up Tip Jars, will let you know when the match is gonna happen.