What microphone/headset do you guys use?

Qwurty2.0Qwurty2.0 Join Date: 2013-01-04 Member: 177431Members
edited June 2013 in Off-Topic
Alright guys, I wasn't sure if the General section was the correct place to stick this thread or not.

In any case, I was curious what microphones and/or headsets (with mics) people use. Since many people are so critical and passionate about the use of mics in this game, I wanted everyone's expert opinion on what they feel is the best mic for communicating in game.

My past mic broke, and I am thinking of getting another for when I head off to college here in two months (for games, online video chat, Skype maybe, etc.). I'll be bringing my laptop, so I would like one that is high quality but not bulky or cumbersome.

Pics, links, reviews, articles, advice to fellow players on settings or tricks (if you can even do "tricks" with a mic, lol), and anything else related to headsets/mics/hardware! This thread can just be for me to mine some info on good mics or it can be a general microphone/headset thread for people to discuss about, whatever rocks your boat. :)

<shameless thread plug>
We have a headphones/headset thread going on the New Player forum: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/123505/headphones-with-mic-or-headset-highly-recommended#latest
</shameless thread plug> -Zaggy

Comments

• billetbillet Join Date: 2012-10-02 Member: 161318Members
    edited May 2013
    I bought the Creative Recon wireless headset a couple of months ago. I set it to scout mode and can hear skulks from two rooms away, no sneaking up on me. Awesome headphones but very expensive.
    Plus I worked out on the weekend I can power the headphones central device via a mains/USB adaptor and plug my iPhone into them and cruise around the house with the headphones on listening to music which is bloody handy as the range is HUGE on these phones.

Forgot to mention, there is a mic adjustment on the central device so if you sound too soft, you just increase the switch from LOW/MED/HIGH and instantly increases mic gain.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Got a Logitech G35. Very comfortable and reduces background noises to a minimum (though I can't really compare it to anything since it's my first headset in such a high price category). It has some additional G-key buttons on the sides that I could bind to some additional functionality, but I don't really have a need for that.
    In the end I only have it because it was a bribe/present from Logitech together with a G19 keyboard and G400 mouse. Certainly appreciate the hardware, though.
  • tdunc-tdunc- Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179214Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sennheiser PC350's

Very comfortable, sound blocking, great quality

Look no further :)
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Currently using the ASUS - Echelon Camo edition headset. ;)
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    Generic mic, generic speakers.

They're very comfortable. :)
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Turtle Beach piece of crap. Never buy them unless you need a mic ASAP and run over to Wal Mart or whatever. Which is what I did with NS2.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Plantronics Gamecom 780 (woo 7.1 surround sound)
  • KattcattisKattcattis Join Date: 2013-01-31 Member: 182683Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Hehe, I use my Logitech webcam as a microphone :p and a simple KOSS portal pro
    I just... don't feel comfortable in big headsets xD
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    edited May 2013
    I use some generic brand behind the neck headset that cost $20.

It works great, except for the fact that the left speaker of the headset constantly cuts out. THUMBS UP! 5 stars!

I don't use the mic, so can't comment on that part.

Not a big fan of those gigantic headsets that fit over your ears. I have to be able to hear things around me, such as my 14 month old toddler, so I don't really play with the sound all that loud either.
  • ultranewbultranewb Pro Bug Hunter Join Date: 2004-07-21 Member: 30026Members
    Logitech G330 Behind-the-neck headset. For those that hate getting a headset hear, it's a must.

Before I was using an Altec over-the-ear headset, which is great for noise canceling.

If you hate your fellow players, use a desktop open-air mic that picks up every ambient sound in the room.

• RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I'm using Roccat Kave at the minute. The sound quality is actually decent (5.1, decent sized drivers so good bass response), and they seem reasonably well built.
    I do have a pair of audiotechnica m50s for mixing but I haven't tried them in game as I'm addicted to surround, plus I'd have to muck about with mics :)
    Forgot to mention I'm using a razer soundcard from several years ago... Ac1, forgotten its name now!
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    JVC RX700. Cheap and good sound quality. Really good bang for the buck.
  • GrayWGrayW UK Join Date: 2009-12-18 Member: 69701Members
    I use the Creative HS800 "Fatal1ty" Gaming Headset.
    Brilliant sound quality considering I picked them up for £20 :)
  • Qwurty2.0Qwurty2.0 Join Date: 2013-01-04 Member: 177431Members
    Lots of helpful responses, thanks guys! Looks like I already have a lot of research and comparing to do. I prefer not to waste my cash, lol. :)

My laptop has a built in mic, but I would never forgive myself for the torture I would be inflicting upon my fellow teammates, lol.
  • KhazeKhaze Join Date: 2006-12-12 Member: 59031Members
    Sennheiser HD598 along with a Zalman ZM-MIC 1

Very clear sound (you can hear a pin drop) with excellent positional audio. The mic is also very good despite it's low price.
  • sjusju Join Date: 2013-03-17 Member: 184042Members
    I use the SS3H & Siberia USB Sound cards

productpage_3hUSB_big.png

productpage_siberia_usb_soundcard_big.png
  • CataclyzmCataclyzm Join Date: 2005-01-06 Member: 33031Members
    I'm designing my own True Surround Sound headphones... but sadly, we do not have 5.1+ support in NS2.

And if I missed something and I'm wrong I will immediately do an Irish Jig.
  • pnb84pnb84 The house on paper street Join Date: 2013-02-22 Member: 183262Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I'm uh a huge Audio-Technica nerd, since their things are decent quality and not too expensive.

For my microphone I use a ATR2500 cardioid condenser usb microphone, excellent for audiophile nerds like me with a tight budget. Its huge and clunky, but since I use it for 'other things' unrelated to gaming, its been all around a great choice.
    91769.jpg

My headset on the other hand is a ATH-ES7, cheap, flimsy and not so great for gaming purposes. If I could go back in a time machine, I would've spent an extra $15 USD or so on something better. But bleh, still is better than my last pair of headphones which was held together with a bunch of duct tape. XD
    ATH-ES7.jpg
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    If I was buying today there is a $50 set I would get which is the Superlux HD-668 B which are $50.
  • bEEbbEEb Join Date: 2012-03-24 Member: 149317Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Open-air Dynamic Audiophile Headphones

And

OLYMPUS ME-52W 3.5mm microphone
  • KwisatzHaderachKwisatzHaderach Join Date: 2012-02-06 Member: 143872Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited May 2013
    For more advice, check out this thread!

My two cents:
    Don't be a fool and spend hundreds of money on headset and soundcard, exept you are an audiophile music-nut. For gaming and and a very descent music experience I can warmly recommend the Asus Xonar DG soundcard (~30€) plus the Superlux HD668b headphones (another 30€) and a generic mic (~10€).
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    I have a SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer as sound card. Used to be awesome in the days where EAX was state of the art and implemented in a majority of games, but it seems like the support for that has come down lately in favor of less awesome but universal sound systems.
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited May 2013
    Currently using the Astros Mixamp with a beyerdynamic dt 880 headphone. I use a cheap desktop microphone with this.

Edit:
    Don't be a fool and spend hundreds of money on headset and soundcard, exept you are an audiophile music-nut.

This is very true.
  • maD_maX_maD_maX_ Join Date: 2013-04-07 Member: 184678Members
    tdunc- wrote: »
    Sennheiser PC350's

Very comfortable, sound blocking, great quality

Look no further :)

Agree have had the same for 3+ years... If your looking for headphones go to a quality sound company...

While Bose and sennheiser arnt the most elite/expensive in the audio world there quality is far ahead of brands like creative/turtle/razor whose consumer base isnt in the 200-500 range...

Personally I prefer senniheiser to Bose as Bose is to trendy and you end up paying 10-20% just for name recognition....
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
  • StrikerX3StrikerX3 Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168423Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    tdunc- wrote: »
    Sennheiser PC350's

I had one of these for one day. The serious lack of bass disappointed me greatly. Other than that, they're very good.

I'm currently using an Audio-Technica ATH-M50 + Logitech USB Desktop Microphone.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    http://steelseries.com/products/audio/steelseries-siberia-v2

Fits over your ears to reduce pain on the ears from pressure.
    When the headphone has set (the springs arent to tight anymore) this is a very comfortable, can carry for a long time headphone.

I put mine over a stack of books to stretch it the first few days. hehe
  • Qwurty2.0Qwurty2.0 Join Date: 2013-01-04 Member: 177431Members
    What would you guys say is the "best" brand of headphones in terms of sound quality, bass, and durability/portability? I don't mind spending a moderate amount of cash on a good pair of headphones/headset that will last a good while. I'm kind of an audiophile, lol.
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    I still love my Everglide S-500 cans. Large, circumaural, TONS of bass (though at the expense of making things slightly muddy on the top end unless you EQ to compensate). Comfortable as all hell, too, as they're heavily padded (to the point of being outright cushy, like a soft, squashy leather armchair). Not noise-cancelling, but also not open-air... and heavy enough to block out most outside sound. Unfortunately they're discontinued. Picked up a spare pair when I found out, to act as a backup set if/when my current pair fail.
    http://www.amazon.com/Everglide-S500-Gaming-Headphones-EG04-04E022-02/dp/B000RHZAFG/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

Current mic is an M-Audio Producer USB condenser mic. It works well if you keep about a foot and a half away, but from three feet onward it gets WAY too quiet. As a result, planning to pick up a Blue Yeti when I find one on sale... preferably the Pro version, to futureproof if I move to an XLR mixer/compressor setup.

Bit of an audiophile, as well as doing minor voice work and game-streaming.
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    Qwurty2.0 wrote: »
    What would you guys say is the "best" brand of headphones in terms of sound quality, bass, and durability/portability? I don't mind spending a moderate amount of cash on a good pair of headphones/headset that will last a good while. I'm kind of an audiophile, lol.
    Headphones, not headsets?

Check out this collection of reviews and pick something that fits your budget and meets your preferences for size and form factor.

My personal favorite is the no-longer-manufactured Sennheiser PX100. Its successor is the PX100-II, which is also very good but has too much bass. But if too much bass is your thing, then these are an excellent value: very good sound, very comfortable, very portable, solidly made, and quite reasonably priced.

There's also a PX100-IIi model with an inline microphone and iPod controller if you'd rather have something with a built-in mic. It's not like a standard headset boom mic, but I don't think it really needs to be. I can't vouch for the mic's quality nor what (if anything) having it in-line does to the sound quality of the actual headphones. Honestly, I wouldn't bother paying extra for the inline mic... just use whatever is built into your PC, or get a cheap generic desktop mic.