NS2 is #15 of PCGamer's "The 25 greatest shooter of all time"

Comments

• JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    I love how it says 25 Must Play Classics.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Arma 2: Combined Operations... it's like saying Humble Bundle #3 is the best game ever...
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    ezekel wrote: »
    Someone needs to make a competitive gamers review website, where you review games unbiassedly from a competitive pc players stand point, being as critical as possible in all the games flaws and issues. Lets be honest, these people reviewing games are f**king terrible.. I mean have you seen some of the game trailers for these games? Looks like you just handed a toddler an xbox controller and told them to start firing.

Where you can review MP games and SP games, I'd bash the fuck out of some metacritic scores let me tell you

Also cool to see ns2 on the list, however how is ns1 not even in a top 10? I mean games like painkiller, ut99/2k4/quakeworld/quake 3/serious sam TSE?? How do these huge games not make the list..

Rock Paper Shotgun.

No ratings, no scores, no lists - just writings about games brutalized by a very demanding audience in the comments section below every article. Features pretty much everything, from indie to AAA, which is great and bad because nobody has time to read +5 stories a day. ~O)
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Someone needs to make a competitive gamers review website, where you review games unbiassedly from a competitive pc players stand point, being as critical as possible in all the games flaws and issues. Lets be honest, these people reviewing games are f**king terrible.. I mean have you seen some of the game trailers for these games? Looks like you just handed a toddler an xbox controller and told them to start firing.

Where you can review MP games and SP games, I'd bash the fuck out of some metacritic scores let me tell you

Also cool to see ns2 on the list, however how is ns1 not even in a top 10? I mean games like painkiller, ut99/2k4/quakeworld/quake 3/serious sam TSE?? How do these huge games not make the list..

Rock Paper Shotgun.

No ratings, no scores, no lists - just writings about games brutalized by a very demanding audience in the comments section below every article. Features pretty much everything, from indie to AAA, which is great and bad because nobody has time to read +5 stories a day. ~O)

I want reviews from competitive gamers, that was the main part of my post ;p

we have higher standards :>
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I don't understand what that means. There's like 10 big esports games, in total. That's not much to review. Or do you mean competitive gamers, who participate in tournaments or whatnot, reviewing games that have no competitive aspect? That makes as much sense as replacing meatballs in a spaghetti with apples.
  • IAMKINGIAMKING Join Date: 2012-09-14 Member: 159328Members
    I don't understand what that means. There's like 10 big esports games, in total. That's not much to review. Or do you mean competitive gamers, who participate in tournaments or whatnot, reviewing games that have no competitive aspect? That makes as much sense as replacing meatballs in a spaghetti with apples.

There are many competitive gamers that do not only stick with one game or genre. They generally have a much better grasp of game design and the flaws and strengths of game than people without a historical and nuanced perspective.
    People who play generally have a better grasp of game design than people who don't play?

You don't say?
  • CataclyzmCataclyzm Join Date: 2005-01-06 Member: 33031Members
    Dark Forces II?
    Rainbow 6?
    Thief? (considered a shooter?)
    Doom?
    Soldier of Fortune? (for the immense amount of gore for the time?)

And as previously mentioned:
    Deus Ex?
    Half Life?
    Natural Selection? (since NS1 made the list)

I guess I would have to know the criteria that they rated these by.
  • RobotixRobotix Join Date: 2013-02-20 Member: 183222Members

10 big esports games? More like 4...
    I know swagling, I was being generous in favor of not having a second silly argument ontop of the orginal silly argument. :P
    People who play generally have a better grasp of game design than people who don't play?

You don't say?
    so what the fuck is your point then?
    My point is being competitive has nothing to do with it. Outside judging the competitive aspect.

Being competitive doesn't give you good taste in games, or higher standards. It only means you have a certain skill, and you're dedicated to put it into use. You're competitive in CoD? Heck, you have a horrible taste in games, but you're still competitive.

"historical and nuanced perspective" -being competitive includes none of that. NONE of that. It doesn't include history at all. It can, but not by default. And "nuanced perspective"? Seriously? Did you not feel your cheeks redden typing that? =))
    My point is being competitive has nothing to do with it. Outside judging the competitive aspect.

Being competitive doesn't give you good taste in games, or higher standards. It only means you have a certain skill, and you're dedicated to put it into use. You're competitive in CoD? Heck, you have a horrible taste in games, but you're still competitive.

"historical and nuanced perspective" -being competitive includes none of that. NONE of that. It doesn't include history at all. It can, but not by default. And "nuanced perspective"? Seriously? Did you not feel your cheeks redden typing that? =))
    it's more likely that they have a better perspective. use your head
    ...than someone who has nothing, yes, you said that already Captain Obvious. Reply to my post if you want to talk, not gonna loop with you till thread lock. Cobra over.
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    asking "esports" gamers is a joke. it's just about which games are popular. that has nothing to do with quality
    League of Legends would be #1 if we listened to that...

also the "conventional wisdom" is also laughed at...
    for example, I'd rank every single Quake clone above something like Counterstrike just based on the type of gameplay and the skills involved
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    The fact that Half-Life isn't on this list at ALL tells me it's a joke, that's without even looking at some of the games listed (BL2 #5 mk).
    Word. I don't care if it's a "best dating sim games" list, it has to have Half-Life as #1 or it's a hoax.
  • GavaalGavaal Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185228Members
    edited May 2013
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    The fact that Half-Life isn't on this list at ALL tells me it's a joke, that's without even looking at some of the games listed (BL2 #5 mk).

Agree, also, how can you rate Doom in there but not Doom 2? Doom 2 and Duke 3D are basically what got me in to multiplayer shooters. Following that it was UT/Quake/CS
  • RobotixRobotix Join Date: 2013-02-20 Member: 183222Members
    My favorite shooter of all time is still 007 Goldeneye for the N64.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    Well as much as there is to debated with the list, it's nice to see NS2 there
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    I want reviews from competitive gamers, that was the main part of my post ;p

we have higher standards :>

"We've upped our standards, now up yours."
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Robotix wrote: »

Oddjob OP, game balance broken!
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Robotix wrote: »
    Slappers only!
  • RedDogRedDog Las Vegas Join Date: 2013-02-22 Member: 183267Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Where the hell is Quake? Not 3, the original! Quake 1 Deathmatch and CTF!
  • ultranewbultranewb Pro Bug Hunter Join Date: 2004-07-21 Member: 30026Members
    No Duke, no Quake 1 or 2, and STALKER is #6 on the list? I'll never understand how people can forgive a grievously broken game just because it's "indie". For once, I'm not going to follow that up with an ironic dig on NS2, since it's in perfect condition compared to bad STALKER was.

Hey, at least NOLF made the list.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited May 2013

You don't say?

people who play to win tend to learn more about and understand the game they're playing, which also tends to transfer over to others. a example I always use is that a top TF2 competitive player that mains the scout class probably understands and can play, say, Heavy or Engineer any class better than a casual public playing who mains that class. You play to win, thus you must understand each aspect of each class to know how to counter or use it.

clearly there's a difference between casually playing in public servers to win, and playing competitively to win.

edit: welp, didn't bother to finish reading the thread to realize that this argument was already finished.
  • MindstormMindstorm Join Date: 2012-12-17 Member: 175356Members
    That list make me LOL so hard. PCgamer should be ashamed they ever released it. What a bunch of nonsense.

NS2 on the list is cool tho.
  • sjusju Join Date: 2013-03-17 Member: 184042Members
    They left off too many games that are better than half the list
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    Someone needs to make a competitive gamers review website, where you review games unbiassedly from a competitive pc players stand point, being as critical as possible in all the games flaws and issues.

Unbiased means from no specific perspective, not from YOUR favorite perspective. People like you who think they are God's gift to gaming is why comp players get so much unreasonable flak.
  • PipedreamzPipedreamz Join Date: 2007-07-05 Member: 61484Members

Rock Paper Shotgun.

Got tired of RPS after all their #1reasonwhy grandstanding